TLD First Impressions

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the other side!

Some of your comments are oft-commented, but some are a bit new. Reboot some discussions, start some discussions!

The tale of why the Chronicles ended the way it ended, why it was written that way and what might the author have been thinking, has yet to be fully revealed. Although there have been some hints. Not that it doesn't stand on its own. But I've become as invested in the author's quest as in the story itself, and I don't think I am alone.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

beckiemas wrote: Stave. What else is there to say?
Indeed. :!!!:

Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

I'm majorly disappointed, which is related to why I'm posting this comment so late. I buy my books in paperback, so being late is normal, but this time I also had trouble first starting and then continuing the story. I think I read the thing in three widely separated pieces because at times I just couldn't for weeks or months muster the interest to pick up the book again. I've had issues with that sort of thing lately, but even still that doesn't speak well of a book.

In any case TLD felt a lot tighter written and generally better than AATE. I just had trouble caring about stuff. And it's not like being better than AATE is a high bar...

Many of the general faults of TLC continue in TLD, but at least there is now much less time travel. I'm not a fan of the Insequent, so I didn't exactly miss them, but you think they'd have done something about the world ending. If one of them had researched the Worm, the plot hole about putting it to sleep could have been avoided.

I think Linden was actually pretty awesome in this book, at least when she had the Staff of Law.

On the bad side, the plotting continues to feel really random, the pacing is erratic, the atmosphere is pretty much not there, and I don't care about whether those people live or die, which is generally agreed to be a pretty bad thing. ...I notice I'm overusing the word pretty. Maybe that's lingering psychological damage from SRD's cataphracts.

It feels to me that SRD didn't dare to go to places with this book. Timidity brought by old age or editorial intervention?

That epilogue is bad fanfiction.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

There are widely different views in TLD and on TLC in general Nerdanel, and yours is well represented. I wish I could have found more in Covenant's final act also, but I guess Donaldson wrote the books he felt he had to write.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

It's good to see you back, Nerdanel!
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

Another thing that occurs to me about my first impression is that, with a quality drop like this in something I love, I might be expected to be angry from love betrayed, but instead I'm just kind of disappointed. I find it hard to feel much of anything about this last book. It's strange how the first six books were so emotional, but in TLC most of that went away, and in TLD there aren't even Anele and Esmer to wish death upon. I mean, I think the lack of those two is a good thing and makes the book better, but now there's only blandness left. Even the end that was probably meant to be a joyous return to the old feeling only felt hollow and embarrassingly badly written.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

We had some interesting discussions about this, Nerdanel. For example: Personally, I had to set the series aside halfway through FR and come back to it a couple of years later with a totally different set of expectations. In the end to finish the LCs I had to treat them as almost completely separate from the 1st & 2nd Chronicles.

Another reason/motivation to finish the series was that I knew that I was going to be meeting SRD at E'fest 2014 and I wanted to be able to look him straight in the eye when I asked him to sign my copies of IW and Gildenfire :lol: (I also got to ask him a question. The answer to which was to reveal that he had written two new fantasy novellas, The Augur's Gambit and The King's Justice, due out this October.)

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Nerdanel, if you look through the old threads, you'll find you're not alone in being disappointed. I think we all wanted to love this series. It hurts when we can't.

It's probably best that you took a while to finish. Things were pretty tense here for a while after TLD came out. Now you can voice your opinion without fear of being attacked for it.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.

Return to “The Last Dark”