Songs in other languages than English

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Rivenrock
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rivenrock »

Last edited by Rivenrock on Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rivenrock
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rivenrock »

Last edited by Rivenrock on Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I'm checking out some of those bands as I type. What about Mad Capsules Market?
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Japanese yes, but I think they sing in English, as do Melt Banana (the feeling of your head exploding translated into music)
Rivenrock
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rivenrock »

Last edited by Rivenrock on Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I'm talking about:
Caer Sylvanus wrote:Mad Capsules Market?
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Well, YATTA is a song in Japanese. Does that count? See for yourself:

web.mit.edu/patil/www/media/video/yatta.asf
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Rivenrock
<i>Elohim</i>

Yatta!

Post by Rivenrock »

Last edited by Rivenrock on Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Argent Badger
Servant of the Land

Post by Argent Badger »

Such an old topic! I'm sorry, if any of you remember, I joined a little over a week ago but have since been swamped with work and life :( (and upcoming midterms and finals.. ugh)

Anyway, let's get to the question at hand. I do in fact listen to non-english music, Japanese incidentially. One part that's strange, or so I've been led to believe, is that I don't understand the lyrics yet (though that is my eventual aim :) ). As for bands/singers? Hm.. Most prominently would perhaps be (I'll list them in the traditional english format of first name then last) Hikaru Utada, Megumi Hayashibara, Masami Okui, and Ayumi Hamasaki. Those singers I have cds for, others I've heard from friends but don't have any cds yet would be stuff from L'arc~en~ciel and Globe.

Beyond that, I am a huge addict of video game remixes (speaking of which, video game music is how I got into Japanese.. weird, I know.) There are some awesome remixers out there, and some of the nuances in music that they bring out in the remixes just surprises me. Surprises me in that it sheds some light onto how huge and complex music making is, and makes me feel a little envious towards people who actually can do that :P .

I think that's enough rambling.. and I do apologize if this is (I'm not sure what the proper term for this..) trolling or whatnot.
"Your GP or your HP!"
-Thief, 8-Bit Theater
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

No, it's not trolling by any definition I've ever heard of. :) Always great to have an old thread brought up again! We have some REAL old threads out there too. Go get 'em!! :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Rivenrock
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rivenrock »

Last edited by Rivenrock on Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Argent Badger
Servant of the Land

Post by Argent Badger »

Wow, actually, I would really love to go to Japan sometime.. after I learn more of the language of course :) .

That's.. insane 8O At least, that's a ton of concerts! So what cities did you visit? My girlfriend went to Japan last spring with her family and I think they went to Hiroshima, Toukyou and Kyouto (I think that'd be the correct way to romanize it?). Anyway.. I have only really heard one or two songs from Morning Musume, and I'd have to agree that it is indeed very cute :P Though I can't quite say it's my cup of tea - my toleration for cute only goes so far. :D Before I ask about Matsuura Aya though.. I have heard of Gackt, but only in passing! :( I think one or two of my friends in Hawai'i listens to Japanese music.. But I did not hear much past the name :( Sorry :( Now, Matsuura Aya, another I am unfamiliar with :( Unfortunately, I don't get to stay too well in touch with the music scene of Japan, but I do make a point to buy a cd from one of my favorite artists from time to time (when finance allows).

Better start a new paragraph before this starts to look too.. dense. I have only heard, again, about 2 or 3 songs from L'arc (I'll adopt your abbreviation).. Um.. Neo Universe.. one that was the opening for some anime, and.. just another one o_o Sorry I can't bring up any names for these >_< It's been some time since I've had the opportunity to hear them.

:) Yes, I had heard something of Utada Hikaru's career in the states as well, but have not really looked much into it :( Oh well.. As for Ayumi Hamasaki, I only have 1 cd.. Um.. "Appears", I think. I'll have to look around my room for it sometime. Whereas my girlfriend has another, though I simply can't recall the name off hand. PV? I assume some sort of.. video? In which case, probably not ^_^ Sorry :( Also, one strange thing I've been noticing.. But on the cd sleeve for Appears (Ayumi) and Deep River (Hikki) they both seem to be rather clotheless.. And I think the theme persists on another of Ayumi's cds as well. Is it just some coincidence or is that a *really* popular thing to do for.. cd.. designs?

As for video game music.. Hm.. Well, the remixes are from Overclocked Remix. It's an awesome site and just.. wow, some of the things they've done simply amaze me. But as for original sound tracks? I'm somewhat partial to the Xenogears OST, though I would say most anything by Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy's primary composer) is worth the listen :) On a side note, if you go checking out OC Remix, perhaps look up remixes by McVaffe (really beautiful pieces) or Ailsean (very well done guitar work :) ). While there are a great many of good remixers there, I'd say those two are some of my favorites.
"Your GP or your HP!"
-Thief, 8-Bit Theater
Rivenrock
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rivenrock »

Last edited by Rivenrock on Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Argent Badger
Servant of the Land

Post by Argent Badger »

Ugh! I can't wait for this term to be over, I keep finding myself without any time whatsoever these days. At least the second mid-terms are pretty much over.

Luna Sea is one I actually *am* familiar with :P , Simply because my brother has two or three (probably the former, but I can't be sure) CDs of theirs, though I haven't bothered him about borrowing them yet. Your students? You were/are a teacher?

And yeah, I was part of that ethnic group in Hawai'i too :) Yeah, actually, I've got too little in terms of time as well :( As already demonstrated by this .. week of inactivity. I'll be sure to check out that site soon, but aside from Matsuura Aya, is there any other artist in particular you'd suggest?

Anyway, thanks for that CD offer, we'll see what happens :) But I'm not too worried about collecting more music right now, I can wait on it for a bit :)

And that's about all the time I have for now =/ I need to go study for my last mid-term and get started on another of those weekly assignments..
"Your GP or your HP!"
-Thief, 8-Bit Theater
Edinburghemma
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edinburghemma »

Matrixman wrote:D'oh! Forgot about Rammstein! I have their Sehnsucht CD. Good stuff. The German tongue imparts a naturally aggressive feel to the music--perfect for metal headbanger songs. :D
I too have Sehnsucht. German lingo is great for this style. Anyone ever listened to Swedish larf band Svenne Rubin? They are great. Du varmer dig med min ved!!!! LOL. What you reckon Theo? Hudiksvalls finest!!!

Jay Zhou, Chinese (Taiwan I think) hip hop kind of artist. Really good. Somebody just nicked the only album I had of his.
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

i listen to quite a few Metal bands that are from other parts of the world...some sing in their native toungue, some dont

alot of times if i cant understand it(that goes for the english stuff too...heheh) its more about the music and the feeling that the vocals create, more so than 'meaning' in the lyrics
Think on that, and be dismayed

What do you do to a man who has lost everything?

Give him back something broken
kastenessen
Giantfriend

Post by kastenessen »

I have some Indian film-music that is great. (Bollywood stuff with some of the worlds greatest singers like Asha Boshle, Lata Mangeshkar). Ethiopian jazz, what else? Can't think of anything right now...more from India, can I count Ravi Shankar, Ali Ahkbar Khan - Indian classical stuff...

kasten
Edinburghemma
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edinburghemma »

I really love Malathini and the Mahotella Queens, and Salif Keita.
I also recently bought a Bollywood compilation. Really good, but hard to pick out favourites
The reality is in this head. Mine. I'm the projector at the planetarium, all the closed little universe visible in the circle of that stage is coming out of my mouth, eyes, and sometimes other orifices also.
Cheval
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cheval »

I have only one non-English (mostly) in my music collection.
It is Santana's "Sacred Fire". (Live in South America)
Most of the lyrics are in Spanish, which I know very little of, but the latino
music is fantastic. It is the music that moves me, not the words, in most songs that I like.
Music is an international language... you may not know what is being said,
but the rhythm and beat sets the moods and emotions.

I also heard a few Scorpion songs in German.
They still ROCKED!
Have you hugged your arghule today?
that unleashed the power of our imagination -
we learned to talk."

It's 4:19...
gotta minute?
Angoid
Ramen

Post by Angoid »

Sorry if replying to old threads is against any rules; many forums don't like it but I did check here first and there was only a rule about not starting a new topic where one already existed. So .... hope this is OK....

Just looking through the forum after searching on "Clannad" to see whether there are any fellow Clannad fans around here ....

It looks as though there are one or two other Clannad fans in here. As for Enya ..... anyone here knows Loxian?!?!?!?!?!
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.

Return to “Vespers”