The Land as Covenant's body

A place to discuss the entirety of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Moderators: kevinswatch, aliantha

caamora
The Purifier

The Land as Covenant's body

Post by caamora »

I'm sure this has been discussed before and I haven't been to the Watch in a very long time, despite the fact that I have been lurking for the past several years so I may have missed it. So forgive me if I'm dredging up an old topic.

I have always believed in the parallel of the Land being Covenant's own body and the characters he meets there as different aspects of his own personality, i.e., Foamfollower is his storytelling, Mhoram is his empathy, Bannor, his stubbornness, etc.

Anyway, the Land is his body - Andelain is his heart, Revelstone, his brain, Mount Thunder, his gangrenous hand/leprosy.

What do you think Kevin's Watch is, considering it's location in relation to the other locations?

Impotence and rape are a big topic in the Chrons and Kevin's Watch is possibly the most phallic symbol in the Land. And interestingly enough, that's where TC and LA enter the Land, where wild magic enters the Land, right at the top (tip?).
The King has one more move.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Caamora, I just wanted to say that I have really appreciated a great deal of your posts, particularly in the chapter dissections for the 1st Chronicles and 2nd Chronicles. I enjoy those Group Readings and really am glad for all your contributions, especially in that part of the Watch; THANK YOU!

On this particular subject, though, I just don't know what to think. I just never saw any connection between the Land and Covenant's body. I am tempted to say that no such connection exists. But I'm unsure enough to be uncomfortable even stating that much. One might as easily argue that the Land represents different parts of Covenant's mind (Revelstone is his conscience, Andelain is his hedonism, Mithil Stonedown is his lost family role, Manhome is his sense of responsibility, Mount Thunder is his pessimistic side)...I fear that any statements about connections between Covenant's body or mind with the Land cannot be proved or disproved. :goodnevil: :confused:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

.. but if you were to think of the Land as either Covenant's body or his psyche, you have to start with Landsdrop. It divides the Land. One side is where the "good" things are, the other the "bad". The Illearth War was basically all about the one invading the other. Any number of interesting inferences can be made.

And then Mount Thunder, which is prominently and literally sitting right on that line. Mount Thunder, which contains Kiril Threndor, the "heart" of thunder. Mount Thunder, the place where the good and the pure enters on one side, and comes out poisoned and black on the other. Mount Thunder, where the ur-viles create things, things that live.
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mt.Thunder doesn't belong there. The topography of the Land and the names given to it suggest that the sun had risen out of the sea, (Sunbirth) in alignment with the Soulsease River. Mt.Thunder not only eclipses this but shows the damage it has caused by falling there.
This also makes sense if you were to think of the Land more as the Creator's body, rather than Thomas Covenant's.

My guess is that Mt.Thunder was part of Trothguard under a differant name, until the Last Battle.

Return to “The Entire Chronicles”