TMOHD Chapter 14: Out of the Rubble

Mordant's Need group reads

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dANdeLION, Cameraman Jenn

Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

TMOHD Chapter 14: Out of the Rubble

Post by Earthblood »

No, this has nothing to do with Barney.
Rather, we begin with Mr. Personality, Castellan Lebbick, tettering on the edge of losing all control. His wife dead, King Joyce abandoning him and now his reason for being - Orison - is beginning to fall apart, literally!

All because of
That woman.
Terisa was at the root of everything, and he was going to find out why and what part she was playing.

I can almost feel for the Castellan. He sees the only thing he cares about falling to ruin around him and the ones that could do something about it won't. The King forbids him from acting personally, and this stranger is wandering around, appearing wherever there is trouble. What's he supposed to think?

He has a real distain for the Congery:
Apparently to defend them against Alend or Caldwal, the Imagers had chosen some alien man of war whom they had discovered in thier mirrors - a soldier of commanding power, weaponry and fierceness. So what did they expect after snatching a fighter like that out of his own life? A docile bow? A humble offer of service? They were lucky he had simply brought down the ceiling of thier meeting hall, instead of murdering them individually as they diserved.
The Castellan has a better grip on whats going on than I give him credit for.

Quillion convinces the Castellan to help dig for Geraden and 'the woman'.
The Congery makes good use of their mirrors and talents, and slowly begin to clear the rubble out of the room. Quillion's mirror shows a seascape that could never be filled by any amount of stone and Eremis has a mirror with a giant "sluglike beast" that was devouring the rock being thrown at it, "roaring in fury"
Spoiler
Old Eremis is just getting Mr. Slug warmed up for future assignments!
Mean while, under the rubble, Terisa & Geraden struggle to stay alive & keep each other awake & alert.

SRD's writing talents put you at the bottom of 20 tons of rock, jagged edges pointing into your spine, slowly crushing the very life out of you...uh I mean Geraden & Terisa whheewww!!! The man can write, can he not?

Terisa is tempted to fade, just like when her PTA honor member parents (HA!) used to lock her away in her closet for hours on end - then she hears Geraden and this keeps her from letting go. The pure connection between her & Geraden, the one that convinced her to go with him in the first place, helps her hold it together.

Geraden & Terisa try to go through all the events leading up to their present state, try to figure out who's on their side. Geraden is convinced of 2 things: Terisa is the champion, and there is a traitor in the Congery - namely Eremis. Of course, Terisa will not believe either theory, and she still, unbelievably, thinks of going to Eremis as soon as she can get out of there! Hasn't she learned to trust Geraden yet?.
Again, SRD paints a picture of terrible confinment and hopelessness and then throws in:
"I'm sorry." To her amazed relief, he sounded better. "I didn't mean to scare you. The rock keeps shifting. It came down harder on my throat for a while. Are you having an easier time breathing?"
They are rescued. Geraden faints into his brothers arms.

Terisa hears the distant thrill of horns.....
"You're afraid of yourself."
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Well done, Earthy! :) 8)

What I like best about this chapter (other than the vivid descriptions of being trapped in the rubble) is the way we get a glimpse of what the Congery COULD be and SHOULD be if it works together to directly help others... 8)
As with many governmental bodies, it seems to spend more time talking and arguing than in doing. :wink: (as a government employee I am allowed to say this!! :lol: :lol: )
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

and that part where they are trapped in the rubble is one darned fine piece of writing...some of SRD's best descriptive work. :D :D
Love as thou wilt.

Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

One of the reasons I love SRD. He can really paint a picture in the minds eye!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Amazing! Thanks Earthy! Yes this is one of the better descriptive chapters and needs 2 b reread over and over again as it has so many hidden clues.
Spoiler
I missed the slug bit 3 times! Thanks Earthy!
fall far and well Pilots!
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

Thanks for putting the sticky on the Danlo (I assume it was you).
Couldn't figure out how to do it!! :? ;)

I agree, as with most of SRD's stuff, I find more & more each time I read it. Definitely a lot of set-up going on, especially in the Terisa/Geredan dialog.... ;)
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

cool earthy .. that was a really nice summation of this chapter .. i agree there is a lot in this chapter and it is exciting cos i know i didnt read all this the fist time ..

having only read MN once ;) lol

now i feel totally excited to go read what you summarised again !!

good job earthy .. a really nice read ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Geraden's admirable character comes through once again in this chapter. He comes to consciousness trapped in a hot, dark, painful, claustrophic situation, under all that rubble. He has no idea how he got there, yet focuses his energy on helping Teresa stay sane. Amazing! I don't know if I could have done it!

Return to “Casting the Augury”