TMOHD Chapter 21: At Least One Plot Discovered

Mordant's Need group reads

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dANdeLION, Cameraman Jenn

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

TMOHD Chapter 21: At Least One Plot Discovered

Post by Revan »

Hang on… lemme find the page...

ahhh... Page 524... Be warned people... I may suck at this... This is my first time...

We start off with the raped to be, Nyle, and that loser with a moustache Kragen. Oh crap. I lost my page. Heh. Hang on... lemme find it again…

So Nyle and "My Lord Prince" are having a meeting... Kragen and Nyle (Geraden's brother) start talking... While Terisa, Geraden, Argus, and Ribuld are hidden, listening…

First Nyle tells Kragen that Elega is in trouble, because Geraden convinced The Tor that Elega is part of the treacherous trio. And Nyle informs Kragen that the Tor has spoken to Elega:
‘He told her he knows what she’s doing. Then he went off on a long lecture about the loyalty children owe their parents.’ Nyle shrugged. ‘She says it wasn’t much. She gave him a piece of her mind and left him looking – she says he looked “cowed”. And she says he won’t be able to interfere with her part of your plan’.

So far, we do not know what Elega's plan is, and neither does Nyle. Nyle is understandably angry at the fact that he does not know what part Elega has to play in Kragen’s plans. But Kragen says that her success is dependant on secrecy.

Kragen wants Nyle to go to the Perdon and offer him the Kingship of Mordant. To prove his, Kragen’s, good faith. Kragen then tells Nyle that the Alend army is marching to Orison.
‘I was pleased because much hinges on her role. While you and I spoke together – while we chose the day and place for this meeting – my father and his armies were already crossing the Pestil into Armigite.’
Nyle is angered when he receives this piece of information.
Nyle articulated softly, ‘You never wanted peace. You never meant King Joyse to take your mission seriously. You just came here looking for people to help you betray him.’ Both arms leaped outward in a gesture full of violence, fiercely truncated. ‘This is what you call “good faith”?’
We learn that Kragen is using carrier pigeon 8O . Terisa recognizes it. Kragen explains that his mission of peace was sincere. But, because of the way the jerk of a King behaved towards him, it is now one of war. Because of the breach of Orison’s wall, (caused by the Champion) Kragen has an opportunity that cannot be ignored. Kragen does not want the Congery to fall into the hands of the shrimp that is High King Festten. Kragen asks Nyle if he’ll still go to the Perdon. Nyle agrees.

Geraden orders Argus to follow the Prince Kragen, and then orders Ribuld to go back to Orison to tell Lebbick what he has heard. Geraden wants to capture Kragen.

Meanwhile, Our friend Geraden goes to deal with Nyle. While Nyle is on a horse, Geraden jumps him.
She figured out what was happening just in time to control her surprise as Geraden sprang out of the brush at his brother.
His elevation and proximity gave him an advantage: he could hardly have missed. And he jumped hard =. His momentum carried Nyle out of the saddle and plunged both of them into the snow on the far side of the horse with a sound that made Terisa think of snapped arms and broken backs.

Geraden asks Nyle is he is alright. In response Nyle says if Geraden thinks what he is doing a joke, then it is not funny. Nyle asks what Gerade's problem is; then Geraden tells Nyle that he and Terisa know what Nyle is planning on doing, and that he heard all that was said between the Prince and Nyle. And knows that Nyle is planning on offering the Kingship to the Perdon; and therefore will stop him. Nyle says in response:

‘So you’ve decided to stop me. Full of moral superiority, you’ve decided to stop me because you cling to the astonishing belief that King Joyse and chaos and terrible imagery and a fresh start to the wars that crippled Mordant for generations are somehow preferable to putting the Perdon on the throne and saving the entire kingdom. You-.’

Geraden interrupts him. Saying that the Perdon would never accept Prince Kragen’s offer, and that the Prince is just sending Nyle there so that the Perdon won’t bring his armies against Alends. But Terisa disagrees. She says that the Perdon is desperate, and will therefore accept the Prince’s offer.

Nyle thinks what he is doing is right. And says that the worst thing that can happen to them is King Festten getting his midget hands on the Congery. Nyle’s argument that he is doing the right thing follows thus:
Nyle didn’t glance away from his brother. ‘Even if that’s not true,’ he resumed, ‘you’re acting like a child. Prince Kragen is right. The Alend Monarch is right. The worst thing that can happen to us is for High King Festten to get his hands on the Congery.
‘We’re already being torn apart by an Imager no one can find or stop. Cadwal will be able to decimate everything west of the Vertigon if the Congery falls. On our mother’s grave, Geraden, we ought to beg Margonal to invade us.
‘Instead of interfering, why don’t you figure out what you’re going to say to all the families who are going to be butchered – all the children who are going to be bereaved – all the men and women who are going to be maimed and massacred when King Joyse finally collapses and no power strong enough to hold the realm together takes his place?
‘In the meantime, get out of my way.’
Geraden gets angry with this. And Geraden shouts after Nyle. And talks about how his and Nyle’s father is King Joyse’s friend. And asks how is Nyle going to go through life without loyalty or self-respect.

Nyle also gets angry, and points out, like the self-pitying loser he is, that King Joyse never noticed him. But always gave Geraden his approval. And therefore Nyle doesn’t see why he should be loyal to King Joyse. Nyle also says that King Joyse is going to get them all killed. Just because he can’t be bothered to protect his realm.

Geraden then asks why is his bother getting so uptight about it.
Geraden caught up with Nyle and grabbed his arm. Nyle flung off Geraden’s grip. The two brothers faced each other, their breath steaming furiously.
‘Then why,’ Geraden repeated, ‘are you so angry about it?’ He was no longer shouting. His voice sank to a whisper. ‘You’re doing what you know is right. Doesn’t that make you feel good? And you’re doing what Elega wants. She’ll love you for it. She won’t be able to help herself. Doesn’t that make you feel good?’
Nyle replies that Elega will never love him because she loves Kragen. Geraden then asks for Nyle to give it up, and not to throw himself away for a woman who wants to betray her own father.

Nyle gets angry with this and walks off. Intending to get his horse. But Geraden says that he won’t let Nyle go. In reply, Nyle slam kicks his brother unconscious, then says to Terisa:
‘Take care of him. If you let him die out here, I’ll come back and throttle you with my bare hands.’
He rides off.

After Geraden wakes up, some weird creatures attack him and Terisa.
They weren’t men at all.
They had eyes in the wrong places. Long whiskers sprouted around the orbs. Snouts hid their mouths, but not their tusks. She was able to see their heads because the hoods of their riding capes had been swept back. Their heads were covered with mottled red fur.
They seemed to have more limbs than they needed. Each of them seemed to be waving two swords
So they are attacked. They fight, and would have died. But Nyle comes back. After seeing the riders heading this way, he follows them, and arrives just in time to save Geraden and Terisa.

Geraden thanks him for coming back. And at the same time picks up a branch and knocks Nyle unconscious.

And there my friends… ends chapter 21. I’m sorry if it’s not very good… But it’s my first time… *Shrug*

I have some questions on this chapter… One is, do you think the reasons Nyle gives for betrayal are true? Or is he just doing it for Elega? Do you think he is in any way right to betray King Joyse? I mean… I think he might be. I mean someone should take it into their hands and do something, while Kind Joyse is screwing up his realm. Might as well be Nyle. And do you think Nyle should have been stopped?

If this sucks, don’t blame me… blame danlo… ;) heh… He foolishly trusted me enough to do this… heh. And I don’t think this is a great chapter to dissect… Too much talking.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

As far as Nyle is concerned-probably three things: his impossible love for Elega, Joyse's personal neglect of him and the present chaos of the realm. I think you did a most excellent job Darth and "the shrimp that is High King Festten." had me rotflmao! :P
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Very nice, Revan. It looks like you took things in this chapter quite personally. Still, I think we should wait before we judge Nyle too harshly; he is, after all, a son of the Domne.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
dANdeLION
Lord

Re: TMOHD Chapter 21: At Least One Plot Discovered

Post by dANdeLION »

Darth Revan wrote: I have some questions on this chapter… One is, do you think the reasons Nyle gives for betrayal are true? Or is he just doing it for Elega? Do you think he is in any way right to betray King Joyse? I mean… I think he might be. I mean someone should take it into their hands and do something, while Kind Joyse is screwing up his realm. Might as well be Nyle. And do you think Nyle should have been stopped?
I think Nyle believes his reasons, whether they're true or not. What I don't see is why Nyle chooses to ally himself with Kragen, as opposed to the Tor or Lebbick. Oh, that's right; the Tor, Lebbick, and just about everybody else are faithful to their King! The questions you ask are not easily answered. I believe sometimes it's better to do the 'wrong' thing for the right reasons, like Geraden, than to do the right thing for the wrong reasons, like Nyle. I know it looks like suicide to trust the King, but the results of betrayal can be much worse than suicide, IMO.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

danlo wrote:I think you did a most excellent job Darth
dANdeLION wrote:Very nice, Revan. It looks like you took things in this chapter quite personally.

:D danlo and dAN are giving me compliments. 8O 8O 8O What happened? Did the world go upside down? Or are you guys on happy drugs or something? I'm scared... What do you want from me?
Last edited by Revan on Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Happy on druga....? I want you to spell better, Revan.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

the A is right next to the S on the keyboard. Sorry.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

My main problem is with the T and Y. Dang it, I meant the Y and T!
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

Maybe Nyle could have accepted the fact that the king didn't care for him, if it hadn't been King Joyse - and if he hadn't been Nyle. Joyse is always described as someone with great charisma, a person everyone loves at first sight. Someone you could die for. To be rejected by him must have been very hurtful, especially for one who already feels neglected.
Maybe Nyle and Geraden are different by nature. But then, a character is very much shaped by rejection and loss, so Nyle has become someone who seems to fall for people whose love he can't have.
First, Joyse. Then Elega. It's like a pattern.
And his father always seemed to prefer Geraden. Things like that can make you bitter if you're not as easily satisfied as Tholden or Minick (or even Artagel). And Nyle ISN'T less intelligent or less ambitious or less willing to die for Kind Joyse than Geraden.

Maybe you could say that he is a person who is never satisfied by what he has. That he is selfish, that he does the things he does not for self-respect or out of loyalty or love (like Geraden), but in order to 'earn' the respect/love of others. And because he can't get it, it makes him extremely bitter.

I don't know. Nyle is one of the saddest characters in the whole story.
But what is really great is that Geraden understands his motives, and that he is able to feel sorry for him.
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

Okay, this is probalby nothing new. I just wanted to contribute something. ;)
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Great post Torrent, and excellent points ;)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Thanks Torrent! :D
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

Okay, I did it. Now put that knife down, Darth. 8)
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

*Puts down knife* :P
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Nyle's not an easy person to like, being full of bitterness. But he seems more sensible than Geraden in this chapter.
"Nyle." Geraden held himself still. Even his voice became still. "I heard you. I was there." He included Terisa. "We were there. We heard everything you said. And Prince Kragen."

For just a second, Nyle gaped at his brother. He gaped at Terisa.

Mutely, she nodded in confirmation.

He straightened his shoulders, and anger closed his face like a shutter.

"So you've decided to stop me. Full of moral superiority, you've decided to stop me because you cling to the astonishing belief that King Joyse and chaos and terrible Imagery and a fresh start to the wars that crippled Mordant for generations are somehow preferable to putting the Perdon on the throne and saving the entire kingdom. You--"

"No." Geraden shook his head, suppressing violence. "It won't work. The Perdon will never accept Prince Kragen's offer--he knows that. He's sending you to do this to confuse the issue, so the Perdon won't have a chance to fight for Orison when Alend attacks."

"You're wrong, Geraden." Terisa was surprised to hear herself speak. Her voice was like a small animal huddling against the cold and barely alive. "I'm sorry. I've met the Perdon. I've seen him and Prince Kragen together. He's desperate. He won't turn the Prince down."

Geraden gave her a quick look of dismay; but Nyle didn't glance away from his brother. "Even if that's not true," he resumed, "you're acting like a child. Prince Kragen is right. The Alend Monarch is right. The worst thing that can happen to us is for High King Festten to get his hands on the Congery.

"We're already being torn apart by an Imager no one can find or stop. Cadwal will be able to decimate everything west of the Vertigon if the Congery falls. On our mother's grave, Geraden, we ought to beg Margonal to invade us.

"Instead of interfering, why don't you figure out what you're going to say to all the families who are going to be butchered--all the children who are going to be bereaved--all the men and women who are going to be maimed and massacred when King Joyse finally collapses and no power strong enough to hold the realm together takes his pace?

"In the meantime, get out of my way."

Thrusting between Geraden and Terisa, he stamped off after his horse.

The dismay on Geraden's face got worse. For a moment, he seemed unable to move. Confused and alarmed, Terisa reached out a hand to him. "Geraden?"

Abruptly, his features knotted, and he swung into motion.

Chasing Nyle, he yelled, "That's great! Wonderful! You're right, of course. You're being perfectly reasonable. Our father is going to be very proud of you."

Nyle flinched, but kept on walking.

"There's just one thing. What about loyalty? King Joyse is our father's friend. What about self-respect? You're betraying your King, the man who made Mordant and peace out of nothing but bloodshed. How are you planning to live the rest of your life without loyalty or self-respect?"

"Loyalty to whom?" Though Nyle's stride didn't falter, his shout was like a cry. "King Joyse? When was he ever loyal to me?

"He met all of us. He must have seen me dying for his notice, his approval. But you're the one he invited to Orison. When he decided to betroth Elega, he chose you. And a brilliant choice it was, too. You've certainly vindicated his good judgment, haven't you? Forgive me, but I find it a little difficult to feel warm and sentimental about that man.

"And he going to get us all killed!" Small pieces of his distress echoed back from the tree trunks. "Don't you understand that? How much self-respect are you going to get out of giving your life for a man who sacrificed you simply because he couldn't be bothered to hold his realm together? If you want to talk about self-respect, ask yourself whey you place so little value on your own blood. I won't even mention the blood of all the people you claim to care about."
They should have went after Prince Kragen instead. Though Kragen has been so battle-tested that he could have bested Geraden, Terisa, Argus, and Ribuld together, most likely, and killed them all (plus Kragen had men with him).

Return to “Casting the Augury”