Farmer Maggot

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Farmer Maggot

Post by Krazy Kat »

There wasn't a thread devoted to Farmer Maggot so I thought I might make one, as I'm sure you will agree, he deserves a closer look.

When you consider that Farmer Maggot was around when Frodo was very young, which may have been about (only a guess, mind you) 40 years before Frodo left the area to move away and into Bilbo's home, then isn't it very strange that he and Mrs.Maggot still have small Hobbit children in the old farmhouse.

There's also a connexion within the story between Frodo's fear of Farmer Maggot, his fright at being chased off by the three dogs, and the way Sam was grossly mistreated by Gandalf. The two passages have very similiar themes running through them. What's going on here do you suppose?
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Hobbits were always high on mushrooms. And sometimes it pissed Gandalf off if he was in low supply of his own weed.

Farmer Maggot was that local drug dealer. He had a strong pimp hand and kept his bitches in line. He had multiple wives and lots of bastard children. Frodo was one, hence the anger and friction between the two.

Gandalf was that region's drug lord and he used his "Rangers" to keep out the other drug cartels out of Hobbiton.
Everything got crazy in the LotR when Saruman tried moving in and take over.
And then a total drug war broke out when the Columbians....er I mean Mordor lost the monopoly on crack cocaine...er I mean the "ring".
That stuff was super addicting.
Who ever had this "ring" was totally addicted...I mean,corrupted by it.
Gandalf wouldn't even take a hit.
Saruman was so strung out on it he went insane. "Talking trees" was all he ever talked about.

Wait what was your question again?
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Hobbits were always high on mushrooms. And sometimes it pissed Gandalf off if he was in low supply of his own weed.

Farmer Maggot was that local drug dealer. He had a strong pimp hand and kept his bitches in line. He had multiple wives and lots of bastard children. Frodo was one, hence the anger and friction between the two.

Gandalf was that region's drug lord and he used his "Rangers" to keep out the other drug cartels out of Hobbiton.
And then a total drug war broke out when the Columbians....er I mean Mordor lost the monopoly on crack cocaine...er I mean the "ring".
Who ever had this "ring" was totally addicted...I mean,corrupted by it.
Saruman was so strung out on it he went insane. "Talking trees" was all he ever talked about.
I agree with with most of what you say. I wouldn't have laid it on so thick though :biggrin:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:Wait what was your question again?
Put another way, has anyone else made the connexion between the two passages of the book. Or. Has anyone found Bilbo's buried treasure?

I never believed there was any buried treasure, not until Farmer Maggot mentions it. Then the pieces fell into place, and I now know where the treasure is buried.

Here's another question.
Which one of Farmer Maggot's dogs stops and growls at Frodo when they enter the farmer's lane. Was it Grip,Fang,or Wolf?

Quite an easy one this, and shouldn't give too much trouble working it out . Apply syntax logic. ;)
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

I'm guessing Fang. Because Frodo gets bit so many times later?
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:I'm guessing Fang. Because Frodo gets bit so many times later?
At first, I thought that it had to be Wolf.
Something to do with the borrowing and taking away of the letter 'o'. Never mind!

Fang was the only dog that bared it's teeth. I too am guessing it was Fang.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I have no idea what this discussion is about, but in Return of the Shadow, it is revealed that Tolkien considered making Farmer Maggot a creature like Tom Bombadil, and not a Hobbit at all.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I am literally laughing out loud.

But seriously, folks, Merry says that Maggot used to go into the Old Forest, and Tom Bombadil mentions him as a friend.
JRRT wrote:...he made no secret that he owed his recent knowledge largely to Farmer Maggot, whom he seemed to regard as a person of more importance than they had imagined. "There's earth under his old feet, and clay on his fingers; wisdom in his bones, and both his eyes are open," said Tom.
JRRT has so much backstory to every character, place, and incident, that it is no surprise that Maggot only appears briefly but even his history tantalizes.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Hobbits were always high on mushrooms. And sometimes it pissed Gandalf off if he was in low supply of his own weed.

Who ever had this "ring" was totally addicted...I mean, corrupted by it.
I always suspected as much. :lol:

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”