New Runes Cover

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

What do you think of the new RotE cover illustration?

I'm cool with it
31%
It's horrible!
25%
I've seen better, but there are worse...
31%
I never judge a book by its cover, so I don't care!
13%

Total votes: 16

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

This was in the News page of StephenRDonaldson.com:
"The Runes of the Earth" and "Fatal Revenant": US trade paperbacks

Ace has picked a publication date for the trade paperback of "Fatal Revenant": August 2008. In addition, under pressure from the sales force, Ace has decided to repackage "The Runes of the Earth" so that it will look like it belongs with "Fatal Revenant". John Jude Palencar has just agreed to do the cover art. The new-look "Runes" (still as a trade paperback) will go on sale with "Fatal Revenant" in August 2008.

12/17/07
I thought I recognized a naked mans buttocks in that picture ...
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Wow. So it exists. But why is this book so flippen hard to find?

-jay
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Probably because..most on line vendors have not taken the time or energy to take a photo or facsimile of, and applied it to the listing of the paperback book in the site. Heck, they already have one cover shot with that Title. Only,,,Donaldson geeks , which I consider myself somewhat, and others here..would see this Cover as " NEW" and buy the book ,,just for the different Cover.Most of the market will buy the book for lower cost and as something to read....I suspect.. if one ordered the new release ( Ace) paperback version,, you'd be delivered the paperback with the " new" cover.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
-Raver-
Servant of the Land

Seen it

Post by -Raver- »

The new cover is available in the States. I just saw it on the TPB at my local Barnes & Noble.

The cover looks like it was done by the same artist and in the same style as the Fatal Revenant cover. The pose is the same, the layout is the same, and the colors are the same. Both books were at B&N and at first glance I thought they were the same book, then noticed that one had a younger character on it.

ImageImage

I'm guessing that the deal to have Michael Whelan paint the cover for Revenant fell through, so Putnam decided to have the new artist go back and give Runes a new cover to match Revenant's cover, such that all four books will match.

Guesswork on my part but it makes sense to me.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, Raver.
Be Well Come and True.

Please come introduce and tell us a little about yourself in the Say hello in here thread over in The Summonsing.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

Wait, Wait! No!

Brother! Why do you serve the Land?

Do you unRave?!
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I picked a copy up at Barnes & Noble this past weekend.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I just don't like John Jude Palencar as an artist as much as I like Michael Whelan. So I think his cover of Esmer and the Ranyhyn Hyn and Hynyn just wasn't as nice as Whelan's original cover of the upper Mithil valley. But I can understand the need to make ROTE and FR look like part of the same series by having the artwork match more perfectly.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Cord Hurn wrote:I just don't like John Jude Palencar as an artist as much as I like Michael Whelan. So I think his cover of Esmer and the Ranyhyn Hyn and Hynyn just wasn't as nice as Whelan's original cover of the upper Mithil valley.
I heartily second this! The original cover by Whelan was stunning!
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Absolutely, DLB! It was beautiful work!

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”