Foul Wife?

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Foul Wife?

Post by Lord Zombiac »

I'm three chapters into AATE right now and have not yet have encountered anyone called "Foul Wife," except for Elena in TPTP.
Since there is a "Joan Foul Wife" here at Kevin's Watch, I'm just curious if anyone calls her that...
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I don't recall anyone else being called "Foul Wife" in the books.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

I don't think so, either. More likely that Watcher just doesn't think much of Joan.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Elena was called "Foul Wife" in TPTP
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Lord Zombiac wrote:Elena was called "Foul Wife" in TPTP
Old thread, but I still want to second what Lord Zombiac has said. In the TPTP chapter "Colossus", Triock informs Covenant that Elena is called "Foul-wife" and explains her intention to destroy the Colossus.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Foul Wife?

Post by SleeplessOne »

Cord Hurn wrote:
Lord Zombiac wrote:Elena was called "Foul Wife" in TPTP
Old thread, but I still want to second what Lord Zombiac has said. In the TPTP chapter "Colossus", Triock informs Covenant that Elena is called "Foul-wife" and explains her intention to destroy the Colossus.
one of the more distressing moments in the first chrons imo; I quite vividly recall the first time I read of Elena's Foul-induced resurrection, it was devastating :(
Innominate Theurgist
Stonedownor

Post by Innominate Theurgist »

Yes, she was referred to as Elena Foul-Wife at the Colossus. No one else was given such an 'honorific'. Myself, I assume that Triock was made to say this to TC due to Raver-influence. In fact, it was possibly even something off-the-cuff to unbalance and befoul TC that his very own Land-born daughter and almost-lover was being demeaned in such a way. Foul-Wife.
What a horrific appellation for someone whose name (Elena) can mean perfect, or shining light. (Nice irony, Mr. Donaldson...)

Speaking as someone whose daughter has actually died, I am naturally bereft and dismayed just at her loss. If I'd been partially instrumental in that loss, and was confronted by an unclean mockery of what she had been, I doubt I'd do as well as Covenant in those circumstances.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

My condolences for your loss, Innominate Theurgist!

Yes, being confronted with a mockery of all Elena represented, seeing her being forced to be the very thing she hates, has to be devastating to Covenant. He already has the guilt of her death on his head, like you have said, but I'm guessing his desire to free Bannor and Foamfollower as well as Elena is what's driving him to struggle against her. Then, too, Covenant has Triock's help and urging to drive him to fight, as well.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”