The One Tree: Vain's arm turns to wood

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Cord Hurn wrote:Well then, that's one of my objections about The One Tree that's thrown to the wayside. I'd long felt after finishing the Second Chronicles that everything the company goes through in that book after escaping the Elohim was pointless. I see now that isn't the case.
Oh, gosh, no. Donaldson wanted the characters to believe that everything happening on the Isle was failure, and he wanted the readers to as well, so it's understandable. But it's only failure on the face of it. Vain got his One Tree injection. Brinn got his promotion. Seadreamer got his closure. Everyone learned about the Worm. Linden learned what's really at stake. Covenant learned control. Findail's duplicity was revealed. And the One Tree finally got wet.
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Re: The One Tree: Vain's arm turns to wood

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Stevo wrote:Have other idea's been discussed?
Given that it was Vain's arm rather than any other appendage which was transformed into wood, then there may be more in common between the One Tree and the Colossus of the Fall, than meets the eye.
- an obsidian column upraised on a plinth of native rock, and gnarled at its top into a clench of speechless defiance.
With respect can describe Vain too.

Given Elena's unique bone shaping talents, and that she was instrumental in destroying the Staff of Law, combined with her presence in Andelain where Vain first appeared, then it's highly believable that she had a hand in Vain's creation - perhaps from a fragment of the Colossus itself.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”