The Bazaar of Bad Dreams

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Cail
Lord

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams

Post by Cail »

So I have some downtime, and I'm tearing into this. I love short stories, and King's been notoriously good at them. As much as I like King's epics, his short stories deliver in a way that's just.....well, they're horrifying. "Survivor Type" is a nightmare. "Grey Matter" gave me the willies. "Night Surf" says as much about the superflu as "The Stand" in 1200 fewer pages. "Beachworld" left me speechless.

So at any rate, I'm looking forward to this.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Saw it in the bookshop the other day. Lemme know if it's good. Although, I find myself usually only liking half his short stories. The other half I skip.

Don't recognise Grey Matter or Night Surf...remember where they're from?

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

So far, so good. "Mile 81" I'd already read. Good, quick reads so far, but nothing nasty or with teeth yet (excepting "Mile 81", which is downright mean).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart

Post by Avatar »

I see "Obits" has been nominated for a Hugo for short story or novella or something.

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Don't recognise Grey Matter or Night Surf...remember where they're from?

--A
both can be found in Night Shift. his first collection of short stories. mostly stuff that had been printed in the men's magazines of the day like Cavalier and Penthouse.

I love his short story collections.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Post by Avatar »

Hmmm, I read night shift, but it was long ago. Funnily enough, I think I picked up a copy recently but haven't read it yet...is that the one with Children of the Corn?

--A

Return to “Stephen King Forum”