Der Ring des Nibelungen...

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Der Ring des Nibelungen...

Post by peter »

....A Fools Quest.

I heard Enoch Powell on Dessert Island Disks say that you could listen to nothing but Wagner's Ring Cycle every day for the rest of your life, and it would still be revealing it's secrets at a deeper and deeper level as time progressed. In Brian McGee's Story of Philosophy he refers to a philosopher (I forget who) who believed that there are truths about the nature of being that are only accessible through music and that these truths form the ultimate level of knowledge that we can aspire to.
An old man, now long dead who was a friend of mine and whose knowledge of classical music was profound, told me that The Ring is just too vast to tackle in large bites. Break it down into half hour chunks was his advice, and absolutely familiarise yourself with one chunk before progressing to the next. Only when this process is completed will you be ready to let whole sections wash over you.
On a recent book searching forray I chanced upon a couple of books discussing the philosophy of the work, and my long-standing desire to tackle the task was rekindled. Anybody out ther with any experience of the work that could make any observations or offer any tips before I commit myself to what may turn out to be 'a fools errand'! ;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I wish you well.

Way back when I first read the Gap cycle and saw that SRD was influenced by The Ring, I tried looking into it. I was completely overwhelmed.

First problem, right or wrong, I was under the impression that you had to listen to it in German to get the full grasp, and I don't speak a word of German. So I was daunted right off the bat.

Then (at least back when I looked), it was hard to find a complete recording of the full cycle, or enough large chunks to piece together into the full cycle. Granted this was back in the early days of the web, so it's possibly easier now, but after a short search, I pretty much gave up.
Icarus Unfallen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Icarus Unfallen »

Focus on where you are going and why.
Never lose awareness of how far down "down" is...but don't obsess about it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

The German thing is not a problem for me Akasri, not because I speak it, but rather that I'm generally happy to hear opera in its native language as long as I have an accompanying sheet explaining the content of each section. The full cycle is available on CD - but at some cost - but individually you can get the separate operas on eBay quite reasonably. If all else fails my library can probably get them, and I can get copies 'burned'. As you say however, it is difficult to even consider the project without feeling daunted.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

I have harnessed and tamed this bucking beast, yet do not Giants revere a rambling, protracted pomp? :P

1. Revise your Norse mythology.
2. Install Spotify.
3. Find Sir Solti's version in German.
4. Reserve a week's worth of evenings for listening in chunks.
5. Enjoy mental images of voluptuous valkyrjas. :twisted:
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Good advice Frosty. Solti's was already my version of choice - purely by virtue of my familiarity with him as a conductor of repute: that his version is available on Spotify is going to simplify matters considerably as I may have had trouble accessing it via eBay. Also my new tv has internet access and a good sound bar so I may be much closer to being ready to roll than I'd thought!

All I need now is to pluck up the courage and do the preliminary research. Now what was it you said - I'll just do a quick search on 'voluptuous valkyrjas' .........

;)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

When you begin listening, don't forget to keep a keen ear on the characters' leitmotivs and how they develop throughout the cycle. You'll hear one of the most effortlessly recognizable ones at the beginning of Das Rheingold: a deep, bombastic boom-bo-bom-bom of Holt Fasner...erm, Fasolt and Fafner.

Thenceforth, the danger of saturating the story with associations of later epics lurks just around the corner, such as Siegfried claiming the helm of invisibility from Smaug's...erm, Fafner's hoard. :P Any wandering wizards in gray robes and floppy hats will not respond to the name Gandalf.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Yes Frosty - as a maybe six times reader of TLOTR over the past four decades (incidentally, I read it for the first time immediately after The Chrons in my early twenties) I can see the potential for a continual mental comparison developing as one progresses. However forewarned is forearmed as they say! :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “Vespers”