Is the Orcrest a portal to another dimension?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Forestal wrote:so why was this "one rock" only meantioned once? surely u'd think that it would be more important than one meantion...
Now that you mention it, I have to agree. There is no shortage of dedication among the disciples of the Stone Lore. I begin to wonder if there is a unique reverence accorded to the One Tree.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

clearfrontier wrote:
Forestal wrote:so why was this "one rock" only meantioned once? surely u'd think that it would be more important than one meantion...
Now that you mention it, I have to agree. There is no shortage of dedication among the disciples of the Stone Lore. I begin to wonder if there is a unique reverence accorded to the One Tree.

Maybe it's because the historically, the One Tree is mentioned in conjunction with Berek and the Staff of Law. Berek never (to my knowledge) used Orcrest, and there's no single talisman (unless the stone in the Krill is Orcrest) to associate it with.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Imagine the amount of wild magic that'd be engraven in it!
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Gil galad
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gil galad »

would it be wild magic engraven in it ? ...if its of the land then it cant be wild magic but rock magic.
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

The only thing that invokes the wild magic is white gold.

I'm really getting interested in this One Rock now too. Being that it is only mentioned once in all six books is kind of strange. Especially, sense there is quite a bit of Orcrest use in both Chrons.
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I suspect SRD couldn't figure out a way to get to the center of the Earth. I wonder how they got orcrest out in the first place, or how they know it's from the One Rock. Maybe it came up through volcanos, and the more powerful Gravelingas could feel it for what it was.

But I suppose the "heart" of the Earth doesn't have to be at the center. Although if it isn't, I don't know why we wouldn't have heard more about it. If I was a Gravelingas, I'd build my stone house right on top of it!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

i still think its strange, that in the crons there as so many gravalingases, yet only one meantion of this One Rock...

you would think that a gravalingas would know of this rock and share the knowledge of it... where as TOT is meationed hundreds of times, the One Rock is only one... does this mean TOR is weaker than TOT or is it just that TOR has never been seen?

and if it had never been seen, how do we know of its existance? does this also mean that this giant rock is orcrest? or does the rock only become orcrest once is it broken from TOR?

so many questions, so few answers :(
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

jedi_gms wrote:would it be wild magic engraven in it ? ...if its of the land then it cant be wild magic but rock magic.
Yeah, there would ... there's wild magic graven in every rock.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

that, is as certainly definantly true as clears haruchai/orcrest telepathy theory :D
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Well, plant/technology intergration is an interesting theory. The first 3, 4 times, they had to use SoL, SoL, reg. staff, and High Wood. So, 3:4 times they used this possible technology.

Hmm... interesting.... :)
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Shalimar Foxfire wrote:Well, plant/technology intergration is an interesting theory. The first 3, 4 times, they had to use SoL, SoL, reg. staff, and High Wood. So, 3:4 times they used this possible technology.

Hmm... interesting.... :)
What also was interesting was when they used the high wood to communicate in the Illearth War. But, I hesitate to call it technology. I would think it would be more accurate to call it magic. Why, you ask? All that communication; no roaming charges. :screwy:
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Trent Phloog

Post by Trent Phloog »

I think the just about anyone who used those communication rods paid a very high price for each use. Reminds me of AT&T. :-)
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Trent Phloog wrote:I think the just about anyone who used those communication rods paid a very high price for each use. Reminds me of AT&T. :-)

Actually, I think the riders and their Ruhk staffs more closely resemble people with AT&T cell phones. AT&T is not intent on killing their customers; that would be too quick, and not nearly profitable enough. Instead, why not milk a pint of blood out of them each month? You get a lot more blood that way. Can you hear me now? Good.:screwy:
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Yarn Man

Post by Yarn Man »

dAN wrote:
Trent Phloog wrote:I think the just about anyone who used those communication rods paid a very high price for each use. Reminds me of AT&T. :-)

Actually, I think the riders and their Ruhk staffs more closely resemble people with AT&T cell phones. AT&T is not intent on killing their customers; that would be too quick, and not nearly profitable enough. Instead, why not milk a pint of blood out of them each month? You get a lot more blood that way. Can you hear me now? Good.:screwy:
dAN, what do you and Trent have against AT&T? AT&T is an vernerable icon of corporate history. Beloved by its customers and raised to almost godlike stature with its peers. I am shocked and deeply disturbed that anyone would liken them with vampires or members of the Clave. But then again I did get one messed up long distance bill last month. You know come to think of it they are pretty rude to me when I have to talk to a rep. And whats with that name of theirs? Who do they think they are? I've got half a mind to...

:lol:
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Yarn Man wrote: dAN, what do you and Trent have against AT&T? AT&T is an vernerable icon of corporate history. Beloved by its customers and raised to almost godlike stature with its peers. I am shocked and deeply disturbed that anyone would liken them with vampires or members of the Clave. But then again I did get one messed up long distance bill last month. You know come to think of it they are pretty rude to me when I have to talk to a rep. And what's with that name of theirs? Who do they think they are? I've got half a mind to...

Bing, buddy! I haven't talked to you since we last went on patrol together! You should talk about long distance bills! Did you know Canada isn't part of my LD plan? Cripes, it's only five miles away from Megatropolis! I know what we should do to AT&T. Do you remember the phrase "It's knit one, purl two time?" You betcha do! Let 'em have it! :screwy:
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

MEGATON dAN wrote:
Yarn Man wrote: dAN, what do you and Trent have against AT&T? AT&T is an vernerable icon of corporate history. Beloved by its customers and raised to almost godlike stature with its peers. I am shocked and deeply disturbed that anyone would liken them with vampires or members of the Clave. But then again I did get one messed up long distance bill last month. You know come to think of it they are pretty rude to me when I have to talk to a rep. And what's with that name of theirs? Who do they think they are? I've got half a mind to...

Bing, buddy! I haven't talked to you since we last went on patrol together! You should talk about long distance bills! Did you know Canada isn't part of my LD plan? Cripes, it's only five miles away from Megatropolis! I know what we should do to AT&T. Do you remember the phrase "It's knit one, purl two time?" You betcha do! Let 'em have it! :screwy:
Ahahahahahha!! It not Bing. It is I. Cromas . AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Cromas Tummins wrote:Ahahahahahha!! It not Bing. It is I. Cromas . AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!
And this is supposed to suprise me how? :screwy:
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

so what was the land equivilent of th internet?
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

the mindmeld :D
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Its interesting to read this thread because here we have a classic case of an observation of at least some relevance being diverted immediately into farce from the very second post.

Thanks dAN. :-)

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”