Strongest Female Character

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Who's the strongest female in Mordant and why?

Terisa
4%
Saddith
4%
Quiss
8%
Elega
15%
Myste
50%
Torrent
4%
Queen Madin
4%
Lebbick's wife (not in the story, but referred to often)
12%

Total votes: 26

Stead
Stonedownor

Post by Stead »

I had to throw it to Myste. Myste rocks.

I don't count Terisa as a contender, because she's the empty vessel who has to learn from these other role-models.
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

Edge wrote:
No, just provoke debate. I think I succeeded rather well. 8) :D
:wink:

BTW: At this time of year I always feel like reading the MN books. Remember that scene when Terisa first looks out of her chamber window and sees the smoking chimneys, and it's really crisp and cold? It reminds me a lot of the view from my desk at home. And it's starting to get really cold here. I could even take a short walk down the street and go to the Christmas fair and ask for Geraden's favorite dish (Domne-something). Feels like virtually living in Orison. :)

I wonder if SRD's Orison was based on any actual medieval town/castle? Or at least 'inspired by'? It feels so real. And it must be so completely different from New Mexico or India.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

"She had dreamed once of snow..." :wink:
fall far and well Pilots!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Well, Donaldson did live for awhile in the Great Lakes area of the USA, in Ohio. They get a ton of snow down there in northern Ohio. No castles like Orison, though. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I always pictured Orison as looking very like Carcassonne, in France.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I pictured it smaller.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Nice photo, Myste. I pictured Orison as being somewhat smaller, too. Not sure why. Maybe because SRD did not describe it in great detail (unlike Revelstone), so I only have a bare, minimal impression of it?

This French castle is quite picturesque (I guess all castles are?). The place should do nicely if a Mordant movie is ever made. :)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

We really should start a new topic where folks can offer castle images.

I like Myste's offering but I picture it higher simply because of the reservior and the vaults above it...
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

That is a good point--maybe it's time for some Photoshopping! ;) I like Carcassonne for Orison because it gives the impression of being huge and sprawling, a place you really could get completely lost in for days and days--a place that has been added onto over centuries in a mostly haphazard way, with horrible dungeons and oodles of secret passages....but it does need some more really tall towers, and a place for the reservoir...
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

danlo wrote:"She had dreamed once of snow..." :wink:
Actually, I did have a 'dream of snow' after you wrote that, danlo. 8O

Now put that mirror down and get out of my bedroom, will you? :lol:
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

woo hoo! :twisted:
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Queen Madin, obviously, people are just choosing their favourite female characters, I think. It's said several times that Queen Madin is the strongest female.

(i didn't vote for her because I didn't see the name till it was too late) :oops:
sarah
Servant of the Land

Strongest female character

Post by sarah »

Of course Lebbick's wife has presence. It's her that makes Lebbick what he is. I voted for Queen Madin though. When she leaves Joyse she's doing what she thinks is right rather than what she wants to do and she has an influence on all three princesses. Quiss is a good candidiate too in a quiet way.
Khat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Khat »

I had to say Quiss. Being a mom and reading how effortlessly she handled the children, prepared dinner, took care of Da, and helped make Theresa feel at home makes her the strongest woman in mordant.
[spoiler]"...the loveliness of the Land has only grown more precious to me as my senses have been
opened...To turn homeward now would be to pass from treasure-berries to dust."
-- Liand to Linden [P324 Runes][/spoiler]
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Khat wrote:I had to say Quiss. Being a mom and reading how effortlessly she handled the children, prepared dinner, took care of Da, and helped make Theresa feel at home makes her the strongest woman in mordant.
This post convinced me! I voted Quiss. Come to think of it, she doesn't have her own topic thread, here. I'll have to fix that! :biggrin:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Cord Hurn wrote:
Khat wrote:I had to say Quiss. Being a mom and reading how effortlessly she handled the children, prepared dinner, took care of Da, and helped make Theresa feel at home makes her the strongest woman in mordant.
This post convinced me! I voted Quiss. Come to think of it, she doesn't have her own topic thread, here. I'll have to fix that! :biggrin:
I really need to make good on this promise, sometime in the not-too-distant future.
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

That's a good point about Quiss.

Myste is probably my favorite character, but I hovered over Elega for quite a while before making my decision. Elega was strong throughout the whole story, but Myste came into her own at the end. She got shot in the face, and she marched into Kragen's camp and stood up to her sister. I felt like she grew to be Elega's equal by the end, which made me see Myste's strength on the rise, while Elega was holding steady, so I was swayed and voted Myste.

I was surprised to see the result after I voted. I thought it was going to be Elega by a landslide! I shoudve voted with my head and not my heart lol
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!

Return to “Mordant's Need”