Reave the Just and other tales - First Impressions

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Reave the Just and other tales - First Impressions

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm more than halfway through my first read of this collection of short stories by Donaldson, having read from Reave the Just through to Penance. I'm posting what I think of the stories here. Spoilers included, so be warned.

One thing which interests me is the fact that, apart from Reave the Just, all the stories I have read so far have been written in the first person. Before this I had not read any of Donaldson's work in this perspective.

Reave the Just: An interesting story, with good look at the power of ideas, and suggestion. Reave takes no overly active role in the redemption of these characters; rather, he uses suggestion to impel them toward their own salvation, and in the end, they free themselves. A very interesting story, but I don't consider it one of SRDs best works - something about the writing just lacks the style and impression of other works of SRD that I have read.

The Djinn Who Watches Over The Accursed: This is one story which does not seem to have the underlying themes I am used to finding in SRDs work, or at least does not explore them as deeply. In essence, it comes across as simply the story of this man, Fetim, learning how to live with his curse. Well-written, the only part of this I disliked was the Djinn's mode of speech on the early occasions in whixh he addressed Fetim - it didn't seem to fit, for some reason.

The Killing Stroke: I think I enjoyed this one too much for a critical analysis. I will say this much, however: Brilliant.

The Kings of Tarshish Shall Bring Gifts: An interesting and occasionally disturbing insight into what happens when a man remembers his dreams so fully, so vividly, that all waking life is dulled and empty in comparison. Despite his spoiled nature, his vexation, and his cruelty, I find myself able to feel sorry for the tyrant, who did not choose to remember his dreams, and only sought to find ways to make his waking life worthy of them. Another great example of Donaldson's ability to give us insight into human nature.

Penance: I just finished this one a few minutes ago. Powerful and compelling, this one is a tale of redemption, and acceptance. There were some incongruities, however. It seemed to me that the power and vividity of the main part of the story were not present in the earlier pages - before Scriven began his tale. Also, the fact that SRD continued his usual mode of language and description when telling Scriven's tale belied the supposed fact that this story was a recitation by the narrator; it did not seem a natural way of speaking for this man commanded to tell his tale. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to the next tale.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I wish I could go back in time to a point before I'd read these stories so I could read them for the first time again. Oh well...
Have fun, Murrin, and don't waste it, you only get to read them for the first time once.

You'll love "By any other name".

It's absolutely brilliant. I'd go so far as to say it rivals "the Killing Stroke" for being the best story in the collection.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Actually Murrin, The Djinn Who Watches Over the Accursed focuses on accepting responsibility for our actions and the consequences of those actions, which is definately something Covenant has to come to terms with.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Hmm... I should probably finish this, but after this long I'd need to reread them all.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

By Any Other Name was brilliant. Just read it last night. Can't figure outwhy I never read it before... Extremely simple and extremely effective. The 'message' was not hidden, just so well told.

The 'usurper' was exactly the type of charcter I have used in some stories I have written, and it's like SRD just plucked him from my mind and showed my how it could be written.
Genius.
:Hail:
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

Actually just at the very same point in the book that you were when you posted this. Despite being someone who doesn't generally like short stories, I am enjoying these a lot.

However, as I posted elsewhere, "The Killing Stroke" just doesn't work for me. Just pure sophistry!

By contrast (and revealing my shallowness), I really enjoyed Reave the Just itself. The ideas are simple and in your face (unlike the tortured philosophies of The Killing Stroke) and I like that! The idea that magicks can be made effective by the simple expedient of information and suggestion was excellent (it's probably old hat and been done to death but despite being a big TC fan, I don't read much fantasy.) And I liked the way that Reave empowered the individuals to save themselves (rather than simply riding in to the rescue).

And I guess I prefer the background setting of midlle ages England over the philosophically constipated Far East!

Looking forward to the rest of the stories now.
perpetualchange
Woodhelvennin
Location: Close enough to friggin' drive to Elohimfest woo-hoo!

Post by perpetualchange »

I very much enjoyed this book, pretty much every story ranges from good to excellent in my eyes, several stories there are amongst my favorite reads. "The Djinn..." has a nice plot twist near the end.
"Speak to me of summer,
long winters longer
than time can remember"

"I still remember the talks by the water
the proud sons and daughters
that knew the knowledge of the land
spoke to me in sweet accustomed ways"
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

I'm also at the point Murrin was when he started this thread. That was in 2004. Did you finish it Murrin??

Thoroughly enjoyed Reave the Just.

Didn't enjoy the Djinn one.

Now, the Killing Stroke. Even though it is a short story I got thoroughly involved with the characters and I loved the ending.

The King of Tarshish Shall Bring Gifts - very strange story indeed. I really didn't see the point of it.

Penance. Found it difficult to read because of the content (a bit like I had trouble with the first Gap book) but I couldn't stop reading it as I wanted to know what happened at the end. Consequently I was still reading at 2.45 this morning! It was worth it however.

Three more short stories to go!
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

The Woman Who Loved Pigs, is my favourite. And the idea at the heart of the Si-Fi story is the reason I read Stephen Donaldson books.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Reave the Just and Other tales is interesting in that a lot of the stories have an experimental style to them. The exceptions being "The Djinn That Watches Over the Accursed" (which I think is universally considered the weakest of all Donaldson prose) and "What Makes Us Human".

"Penance" is different. I enjoyed it, but the focus of the short story is not what readers come to expect. It, unlike "The Killing Stroke", seems incomplete, the main conflict unresolved.

I also liked "The King of Tarshish Shall Bring Gifts", but I'm weird like that ;)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Finished!

I did enjoy The Woman Who Loved Pigs, although I guessed the pig's identity halfway through the story which rather spoiled the ending.

What Makes us Human was not so enjoyable. Too much lead up and not enough ending, and I didn't find the story interesting.

By Any Other Name - wow, this was the best one. Almost Covenant in miniature. I read well into the early hours of the morning in order to finish it. Most enjoyable also was the way the narrator spoke - his turn of phrase, his attitude gradually changing. He dared to go where he dare not go. The fact that the usurper gave nothing away was the impetus for the narrator's actions, and also gave nothing away to the reader. Even by the end we were given no idea who he was, but somehow it didn't seem to matter.

I now look forward to Daughter of Regals which I should receive in 4 days time from now.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

I enjoyed "The Woman Who Loved Pigs" a lot, too...
especially the portrayal of the main character, and the process of breaking through to her mind...
..was just thinking about it the other day, and turning over various questions in my head.

You've made me curious with your description of "By Any Other Name."

and love Daughter of Regals..
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Jussi
Stonedownor

Post by Jussi »

New US cover art:

You are the white gold.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

:shakes fist at Palencar:
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

At least there's no tree this time.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

"Penance" remains my favorite on my third reading of this collection. It's the only story in Reave the Just that can actually move me to tears.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”