Most Annoying Moments in Star Trek History

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I can't remember the name of the episode, but a really annoying one from the original series was that Halloween one, with Sylvia, the wizardess, who was sometimes a black cat. I know they were on a very tight budget, but couldn't they have tried even a little bit harder to hide the cords on the puppets they showed at the end? :roll: :roll:
Love as thou wilt.

A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

dlbpharmd wrote:
The holdeck was a lame means by which to create non-space, non-sci-fi stories.
Exactly! To me the best use of the holodeck was the Barclay stories on TNG, like the one where Barclay has an addiction to the holodeck and was [ahem] "carrying on" (wink wink) with Troy, Crusher et al. That was classic!

Everyone knows that that would be the ONLY real use of the holodeck.
"I use my gun whenever kindness fails"

ImageImage
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Hahaha, I remember that one, wasn't Will really short and small. Cheers.
Last edited by FizbansTalking_Hat on Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

A Gunslinger wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:
The holdeck was a lame means by which to create non-space, non-sci-fi stories.
Exactly! To me the best use of the holodeck was the Barclay stories on TNG, like the one where Barclay has an addiction to the holodeck and was [ahem] "carrying on" (wink wink) with Troy, Crusher et al. That was classic!

Everyone knows that that would be the ONLY real use of the holodeck.
:LOLS:
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

FizbansTalking_Hat wrote:Hahaha, I remember that one, wasn't Will really short and small. Cheers.
Heck, I'd never rise out of the cadet ranks....you'd never be able to get me OUT of the holodeck.

ImageImage
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Gunslinger would take on a whole new meaning.
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

dlbpharmd wrote:Gunslinger would take on a whole new meaning.

8O

HAW!

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Hilarious Voyager "script." Somebody has a future in parody writing. :lol:
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

duchess of malfi wrote:I can't remember the name of the episode, but a really annoying one from the original series was that Halloween one, with Sylvia, the wizardess, who was sometimes a black cat. I know they were on a very tight budget, but couldn't they have tried even a little bit harder to hide the cords on the puppets they showed at the end? :roll: :roll:
Next to the crappy U.S.S. Constellation model that wobbled and vibrated as it was supposedly entering the maw of the Doomsday Machine, that scene with those idiotic alien puppets is laughable. Unless their species wander around with thin black threads suspended from above.

Hmm... Maybe I'm all wet on the subject. :D
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Roland of Gilead wrote:Hilarious Voyager "script." Somebody has a future in parody writing. :lol:
Thanks! I've been thinking of writing some kind of take-off on Data being fully functional - "Initiate urinary stream" and all kinds of toilet humor.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

dlbpharmd, you've summed up just how unreliable 23rd century technology is!

I'm not sure which happens more often on Star Trek: the crew losing helm control or the transporter malfunctioning.

Reminds me of other annoying Trek malfunctions that I've mentioned elsewhere:

ST:TMP -- V'Ger approaches Earth...and all planetary defense systems suddenly go off-line.

ST IV: Voyage Home -- Probe approaches Earth...and all planetary defense systems...well, you know. (Hmm, this is actually a good scene from the movie. It doesn't really have bad scenes, does it?)

ST VIII: First Contact -- Notice how one hit from a Borg disrupter causes most starships to simply burst into flame? The Ford Pinto lives!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The Ford Pinto lives!
:LOLS: :haha:

How about all the times when some various form of radiation won't allow the sensors to work, or the transporter can't get a lock? The transporter has got to be the most unreliable piece of equipment on the whole damn ship - except, of course, during the last 5 minutes of the episode, the Romulans have phaser lock on Picard in his little shuttlecraft (with shields up) and the Enterprise comes screaming in at warp 9 - then that transporter works like a charm everytime.
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

The transporter was the single worst corner the Trek writers ever backed themselves into.

Because of it's deus ex machina nature, it must be "disabled" in almost every episode - otherwise, no suspense. :roll:
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
A Gunslinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by A Gunslinger »

Roland of Gilead wrote:The transporter was the single worst corner the Trek writers ever backed themselves into.

Because of it's deus ex machina nature, it must be "disabled" in almost every episode - otherwise, no suspense. :roll:

Yeah, and I'd give a year's salary to se Scotty pull out a roll of Duct tape to fix the damn thing after the obligatory "poof!" when the damnable thing broke...yet again! Lt. Kyle must have been the most incompetent engineer EVER. Whatta sad sack.

ImageImage
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Yeah, that crossed my mind, too, Gunslinger. Kyle should have at the very least been demoted a few times. Or made into security for one of Kirk's awaay missions - a surefire death sentence. :P
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Kirk: Kyle! We....NEED you to wear the ....RED shirt!

Kyle: NOOOOOO! Please! Not the Red Shirt! For the Love of God!

Scotty: It's your duty, lad. Dinna cry about it.

Kyle: That's easy for you to say, you highland bastard! You're the only man to ever wear a red shirt on an away mission and live to tell the tale!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Star Trek: The Original Series.

Episode: The Changeling

Moment: The Enterprise's shields absorb the equivalent energy of 90 photon torpedoes from a blast from Nomad and weren't instantly vaporized like an ice cube dropped in a volcano.

90...photon torpedoes.

90!

Either the Enterprise was the most indestructible ship ever created or the writer of the screen play fat fingered the number on his keyboard and no one chose to correct it.

Hell, 9 would have been way too much.

Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

aTOMiC wrote:Star Trek: The Original Series.

Episode: The Changeling

Moment: The Enterprise's shields absorb the equivalent energy of 90 photon torpedoes from a blast from Nomad and weren't instantly vaporized like an ice cube dropped in a volcano.

90...photon torpedoes.

90!

Either the Enterprise was the most indestructible ship ever created or the writer of the screen play fat fingered the number on his keyboard and no one chose to correct it.

Hell, 9 would have been way too much.
Gotta give you that one. Heck if your ship can withstand 90 photon torpedoes at once, then why worry about "evasive maneuvers"? Rather, "just take his fire until he runs out of firepower then tow him to starbase 555."
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Rawedge Rim wrote:
Gotta give you that one. Heck if your ship can withstand 90 photon torpedoes at once, then why worry about "evasive maneuvers"? Rather, "just take his fire until he runs out of firepower then tow him to starbase 555."

Bwahahahaha!!!!!

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”