Star Wars and the MCU

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

Star Wars and the MCU

Post by aTOMiC »

Crossovers used to only exist in the imaginations of sci fi fans that dreamt of their favorite characters interacting in a fun, unexpected and amazing way. Some fans went so far as to write crossover fan fiction to help find an entertaining outlet for their unrealized desires. Marvel and DC have, on more than one occasion, integrated their characters to form, fun, one time only alternate universe comics where Spiderman and Superman coexist for a short time. The Universal Monsters have appeared together in different films. Daffy Duck and Donald Duck both appeared in Who Framed Roger Rabbit and now we have the Godzilla/King Kong monsterverse, the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the DC Extended Universes where many beloved and previously separate characters appear together in multiple film story arcs and even battle each other on occasion.

The attraction to these films and comics is that we have always thought of these characters and companies as perpetually separate entities and evaluated their worth independently. Both are cool but each have always been universally incongruent because the companies that produce them are in competition with each other to stay in business. But that doesn't stop us from wondering how exciting it would be if Gamera appeared in a film with Godzilla? What if you could buy a Whopper at McDonalds? What if Coke and Pepsi merged to form Pepcoke? How would Chevrolet go about producing a Mustang? What if Brett Favre played for the Minnesota Vikings? Wait...

Okay. So now Disney owns both Marvel and Star Wars. Crossovers are big attractions for moviegoers and two of the hottest film universes now both exist for the first time under the same banner.

What do you think the odds are that somewhere Disney executives are kicking around the idea of a Star Wars/Guardians of the Galaxy or Avengers crossover film?

As a fan do you think this could ever work? And if so how?

Can you picture Thanos in battle and laying waste to hundreds of Storm Troopers with his bare hands? Iron Man fending off an attack by a force wielding Sith? Is there room in the Star Wars universe for the Hulk?
How strange would it be to see a shot of a Star Destroyer in orbit around Earth? Loki conspiring with Supreme Leader Snoke? Galactus destroying a planet like Alderaan.

Could such a thing ruin one or both franchises? This is the question that I believe is giving the aforementioned Disney executives pause. Do you unintentionally kill the goose that lays the golden eggs by being too ambitious?

Has such a thing happened before? And has it tarnished the reputation of both universes?
YES! Alien vs Predator nearly destroyed each other in the public's perception. Of course producing two garbage films had a lot to do with it but that is what the production company did. It didn't understand what it had and turned out cinematic barf. (It also didn't help matters that Predator 2 and Alien3 and 4 were crap.)
I personally don't think Disney would be so irresponsible with their properties however the idea both excites me and concerns me.

Only time will tell if there is anything to be worried about.
Last edited by aTOMiC on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'd rather see a Star Wars/Star Trek mashup.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

dlbpharmd wrote:I'd rather see a Star Wars/Star Trek mashup.
As would I. Such a thing would produce the biggest nerdgasm in the history of sci fi cinema. :biggrin:

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'm hoping to see Leia given the whole Disney Princess treatment. An animated feature about young Leia growing up on Alderan, discovering she was adopted, and fleeing her evil step-parents into the wilderness, where she is befriended by Ewoks and has occasion to sing a lot.

Then she can be on the Princess Power Hour.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

wayfriend wrote:I'm hoping to see Leia given the whole Disney Princess treatment. An animated feature about young Leia growing up on Alderan, discovering she was adopted, and fleeing her evil step-parents into the wilderness, where she is befriended by Ewoks and has occasion to sing a lot.

Then she can be on the Princess Power Hour.
Good Lord! That would be aweso...I mean horrifying.

What really makes me smile is the idea of Drax the Destroyer twisting off Jar Jar Binks head and laughing loudly and happily.
Maybe stomping on an Ewok or two. :biggrin:

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Also, I hear that Disney is making a Mary Poppins 2. It turns out Mary is not magic; she's a Jedi, who uses the Force to make children happy.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

wayfriend wrote:Also, I hear that Disney is making a Mary Poppins 2. It turns out Mary is not magic; she's a Jedi, who uses the Force to make children happy.
Is Mary Poppins going to be played by Liam Neeson?

I would totally watch that.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

aTOMiC wrote:
wayfriend wrote:Also, I hear that Disney is making a Mary Poppins 2. It turns out Mary is not magic; she's a Jedi, who uses the Force to make children happy.
Is Mary Poppins going to be played by Liam Neeson?
I would totally watch that.
No. She will be played by this woman. Which is about the same thing.

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Nah, she's great in Into The Woods and she's very talented. I think she can pull Mary off. And the sequel is based off of Travers other Mary Poppins books. I'm not a Mary Poppins fan, but it sounds like they are treating the property with respect.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”