Lord Foul's Bane Chapters 24 & 25

LFB, TIW, TPTP

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

danlo
Lord

Lord Foul's Bane Chapters 24 & 25

Post by danlo »

8O OK, I'm ready now! Or am I? :?

As u kno I was pretty Gung-Ho 2 start this group read, but, truth be told, I left off somewhere b4 Morinmoss and haven't read any futher since. So it was somewhat theraputic, and will cause me 2 go DIRECTLY back 2 where I left off, 2 dive straight in2 these chapters as if nothing happened...

Chapter 24: The Calling of the Fire Lions

What :?: As if nothing happened! I think not :!: Lord Foul has essentialy been nuetralized but his aftershocks r pretty damm fierce! Warriors, Servants and TC r stunned, Prothall is totally drained-crap even Cavewrights pause in Foul's wake! Leave it up 2 that ol' spoilsport Mhoram 2 let Foul have it and get the company moving again, Cause it ain't over folks, not by a long shot!
Coughing as if he were about to heave up his heart, he gasped, "The Staff. You do not know. Cannot use it. Fools.
No escape. None. I have armies. I have the Stone." With a savage effort, he made himself heard through the laughter. "Illearth Stone. Power and power. I will crush. Crush!'
Prothall and Mhoram carve a path through the Cavewrights and the company enters a tunnel. Ur-Viles appear, the loremaster is awesome! They never say a word! Fighting 2 the brink of xhaustion Mhoram makes TC fake at the Ur-viles with the ring as he and Prothall build a "Wall of Forbiding" that will never hold. Funny and dire at the same time! They're off!

If not 4 Manetrall Lithe's soul-conviction that she knows the way through though Kiril Threndor 2 the sun and sky the company really wouldn't know which way they're heading. Considering the sheer xhaustion of the company at this point, escape looks akin 2 scaling Mt. Everest! Up and onward they go, through twists and turns, incredibly narrow spaces, possible ambushes at every turn, catacombs and strange cave-spaces w/a million tunnels going in every direction...Man 4 a closet (hahaha :D ) claustrophobic :!: like me getting through this was damm tough...
They were buoyed along by the hope that their pursuers would not guess what they were doing, and so would neither cut them off or follow them directly. But in the universal darkness and silence they had no assurances. Their way met no branchings, but it wavered as if it were tracing a vein in the mountian. Finally it opened into a vast impression of blank space, and began to climb a steep, serrated rock through a series of switchbacks. Now the company had to toil upward.
All the things that happen in this chapter r just so intense, vivid and breathtaking! A number of times they really didn't think they could make it. Even Lithe has her moment of doubt and pain.
They felt weak with failure, as if they were moving only because Mhoram's blue flame pulled them forward...
They hear the Ur-Viles behind them they go straight up a spiral staircase w/horrible winds raging all about them and finally pop though 2
the wasted red dawn above the Sarangrave. There is nothing left of High Lord Prothall, they had 2 pry Covenant off the landing, and now they have 2 make a huge descent down a ravenously treacherous ravine. So many things happen at once!: A black flood of Ur-Viles pour down upon them, Drool appears in the cavern opening shining the sick-green Illearth Stone in the bloody dawn against the impenaturable backdrop of Mt Thunder. All is lost, unless BOOOOOOOOOOM THERE IS something felt of High Lord Prothall, and Bannor and Covenant's ring, unwillingly, touches the Staff of Law and the Fire Lions crash down the mountian devouring everything in sight.

This is xactly what Covenant didn't want 2 happen...Is Foul's plan actually fufilled? Is there 2 much blood on his hands? Is there no escape 4 the company, In desperation TC whistles 4 the Raynhyn. Is Drool dead? Is there no end 2 all this Earthpower coursing all around? What is happening 2 TC? Fade 2 gray...

I'm sorry I didn't even begin 2 do justice 2 this nailbiting/minblowing chapter. The Imagery is so vivid, it's ultraviolet, it's mindnumbing. There just is SO much going on. The company is byond valiant, Mhoram is already a super-hero, Covenant is left /the same paradox, Prothall is amazing! Im 2 xhausted by even trying 2 come w/some grips w/this astounding conclusion!!! (I think I'll wait 4 some other posts b4 I even discuss "Survived") (**faint**)
Last edited by danlo on Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Lord Mhoram is quite magnificent in this chapter, isn't he? The way he turns his Lordsfire on Foul (has any lord ever done that before in all of the history of the Land??), the way he encourages the Questors, the way he inspires the Manethrall when she learns doubt...

But I wonder if he will, deep down inside, feel like a failure?
Slowly, Mhoram's grip eased. His lips softened; the vfire oh his eyes faded. His gaze seemed to turn inward and he winced at what he beheld. When he spoke his voice sounded like dust. "Ah, Covenant, forgive me. I forget myself. Foamfollower - Foamfollower understood this. I should have heard him more clearly. It is wrong to ask for more than you give freely. In this way we come to resemble what we hate." He released Covenant's wrist and stepped back. "my friend, this is not on your head. The burden is ours, and we bear it to the end. Forgive me."
Has Mhoram learned to distrust himself and his own passion?

Do you remember the words of Lord Foul?
They are too blind to perceive their own arrogance. But I will teach them to see. In truth it is already too late for them. They will come to Kiril Threndor and I will teach them things to darken their souls. It is fitting.
Was distrust of self and passionate emotions the lesson he had for Mhoram?
Love as thou wilt.

pitchwife
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by pitchwife »

The whole ordeal inside mt. thunder is like a roller coaster ride reaching peaks of hope and depths of dispair. I was just swept away.

I agree with you duchess, Mohoram is at his best here. His courage, resourcefulness, determination, and in the same time gentleness and compassion...

Such a contrast to Covenant:
Hellfire! Covenant groped for answers like a man incapable of his own distress. But he found none. No bargain or compromise met his need. In his pain, he cried out wildly, protested appealed, "Mohoram! It's suicide! you're asking me to go crazy!"
Covenant only half listened. He felt like a derilict, and he was picking among the wreckage of his emotions, in search of something worth salvaging.
Why is Covenant so afraid, why is he so reluctant? why is using the white gold counter to survival?
"By the seven! You fear power more than weakness." Yes! Covenant moaned at the pain in his wrist and head. Yes! I want to survive!
He is such a whiny irritating SOB in this chapter!

-pitch
We are who we are - and what we are not, we will never become
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Chapter 25: (Conclusion) Survived

Well this is a tiny little chapter, isn't it! It is, alas, the last 1 in LFB... 8O In which Covenant "transmigrates" from the Land back 2 our reality. I might b spoiling by saying compared 2 some "transmigrations" in future books in this series, this 1 is faily lackluster. Very grey! It is a weird process as TC begins 2 grow "thin, transient" and Prothall, Bloodguard and others slowly grow "harder and solider" bcoming 1 with the "increasingly adamandite" mountian 2 form a blank of solid gray that forms in2 gray mist.

Drool is, apparently, dead..as Prothall says, "He was your summoner, and with his death the call ends. That is the way of such power."
Farewell Unbeliever! Be true! You have wrought greatly for us. The Ranyhyn will preserve us. And with the Staff of Law and the Second Ward, we will not be unable to defend against the Despiser's ill. Take heart. Despair and bitterness are not the only songs in the world.
That last sentence is xtremely important as far as Covenant's continued survival in our world is concerned, as he comes 2 in the hospital and his leprosy returns. "Nerves don't regenerate..." Again he feels that Foul's prophesy has been fufilled and continues harbour all the quilt. But the company has survived and the inner light that shines from their valor, strenght and compassion carries hope in2 the heat of this incredible struggle with Corruption and his Illearth Stone. I've always though it would b cool 2 have a snippet of Foamy watching the sky above Mt. Thunder as it turns black and the Lions come flowing down...
Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Foamfollower1013 »

Some of these have been posted already, but I like them so much that I'm going to post them again:
"Leave me," Prothall repeated. "Give your staff to me, and I will defend your retreat as I can. Go, I say. I am old. I have had my time of triumph. I lose nothing. Take the Staff and go." When the Lord still did not speak, he rattled in supplication, "Mhoram, hear me. Do not let my old bones destroy this high Quest."

"I hear you." Mhoram's voice sounded thick and wounded in his throat. He knelt with his head bowed.

But a moment later he rose to his feet, and put back his head, and began to laugh. It was quiet laughter - unfeverish and unforced - the laughter of relief and indespair. The company gaped at it until they understood that it was not hysteria. Then, without knowing why, they laughed in response. Humor ran like a clean wind through their hearts.

Covenant almost cursed aloud because he could not share it.

When they had subsided into low chuckling, Mhoram said to the High Lord, "Ah, Prothall son of Dwillian. It is good that you are old. Leave you? How will I be able to take pleasure in telling Osondrea of your great exploits if you are not there to protest my boasting?" Gaily, he laughed again.
Surveying Drool's forces, Mhoram said softly, "Take heart, my friends. You have done well. Now let us make our end so bravely that even our enemies will remember it. Do not despair. There are many chances between the onset of war and victory. Let us teach Lord Foul that he will never taste victory until the last friend of the Land is dead."
Slowly, Mhoram's grip eased. His lips softened; the fire of his eyes faded. His gaze seemed to turn inward, and he winced at what he beheld. When he spoke, his voice sounded like dust. "Ah, Covenant - forgive me. I forget myself. Foamfollower - Foamfollower understood this. I should have heard him more clearly. It is wrong to ask for more than you give freely. In this way, we come to resemble what we hate." He released Covenant's wrist and stepped back. "My friend, this is not on your head. The burden is ours, and we bear it to the end. Forgive me."
Covenant felt that he had been left alone. "What's happening to me?" he repeated dimly toward the hard mountain.

But Prothall was still at his side. Covenant heard the High Lord say in a kind old voice that seemed as loud as thunder, "Drool is dead. He was your summoner, and with his death the call ends. That is the way of such power.

"Farewell, Unbeliever! Be true! You have wrought greatly for us. The Ranyhyn will preserve us. And with the Staff of Law and the Second Ward, we will not be unable to defend against the Despiser's ill. Take heart. Despair and bitterness are not the only songs in the world."

But Covenant wailed in mute grief. Everything around him - Prothall and the company and the Ranyhyn and the Fire-Lions and the mountain - became too solid for him. They overwhelmed his perceptions, passed beyond his senses into grey mist. He clutched about him and felt nothing. He could not see; the Land left the range of his eyes. It was too much for him, and he lost it.
------------------

I agree - Mhoram is absolutely awesome here. As usual. :D

~Foamy~
Drinny
Stonedownor

Post by Drinny »

An amazing conclusion to this book. What I find important is that while Lord Foul's predictions seem to come true, as Danlo proposes, so does another one: TC has completed his fulfillment of Berek's "prophecy". Exactly like Berek, TC calls the Fire-Lions and defeats his enemy. During the whole book TC fears being regarded as "Berek reborn" and so forth, seeing the whole thing as a sign of his madness. And even at the end his reenactment of Berek's deed is not a voluntary act.

And yet, after he awakens, he is glad that the quest survived. Despite all of Lord Foul's achievements in LFB - gaining the Illearth Stone, afflicting Lena, Trell, etc., as well as hazarding TC's sanity and will to save the Land - TC finishes his trip to the Land with a clear allegience to the Land and its servants. Although as of yet he does not wish to see them victorious over despite; he is merely happy that they have survived. Still, this is progress.
Taliesin
Servant of the Land

Post by Taliesin »

Nerves don't regenerate, of course they don't, they don't -

This was important - he knew it was important - but for some reason it did not carry any weight with him. His heart was too hot with other emotions to feel that particular ice.

What mattered to him was that Prothal and Mhoram and the Quest had survived.
Covenant returns to his reality fundamentally changed from when he left it. The Covenant from the opening chapters only felt cold emotions. He now has hope for The Land, after spending so much time convincing himself that any hope means death. For me, this was the moment when Covenant redeemed his character from what he did to Lena.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Yes. Covenant has begun to see that the Land is important to him, even if it isn't real. His journey towards becoming a better person begins with that awareness. The kind of person who could never have done that to an "imaginary" girl.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

In [i]Lord Foul's Bane[/i] Chapter 24 was wrote:There was no escape. The Lions would get the company before they reached any possible descent beyond the cliff--long before.

People yelled at him, warning him futilely; he could hardly hear them through the roaring air. He gave no heed. That kind of escape was not what he wanted. And he was not afraid of the fall: he could not see it clearly enough to be afraid.

He had something to do.

He paused for a moment, summoning his courage. Then he realized that one of the Bloodguard would probably try to save him. He wanted to accomplish his purpose before that could happen.

He needed an answer to death.

Pulling off his ring, he held it firmly in his half-fingerless hand, cocked his arm to throw the band over the cliff.

His eyes followed the ring as he drew back his arm, and he stopped suddenly, struck by a blow of shame. The metal was clean. His vision still saw two rings, but both were flat argent; the stain was gone from within them.

He spun from the cliff, searched up the ravine for Drool.

He heard Mhoram shout, "Bannor! It is his choice!" The Bloodguard was sprinting toward him. At Mhoram's command, Bannor pulled to a halt ten yards away, despite his Vow. The next instant, he rejected the command, leaped toward Covenant again.

Covenant could not focus his vision. He caught a glimpse of fiery Lions pouncing toward the crevice high up the ravine. But his sight was dominated by the ur-vile wedge. It was only three strides away from him. The loremaster raised its stave to strike.

Instinctively, Covenant tried to move. But he was too slow. He was still leaning when Bannor crashed into him, knocked him out of the way.

With a mad, exulting bark as if they had suddenly seen a vision, the ur-viles sprang forward as one and plunged over the cliff. Their cries as they fell sounded ferociously triumphant.

Bannor lifted Covenant to his feet. The Bloodguard urged him toward the rest of the company, but he broke free and stumbled a few steps up the slope, straining his eyes toward the crevice. "Drool! What happened to Drool?" His eyes failed him. He stopped, wavered uncertainly, raged, "I can't see!"

Mhoram hastened to him, and Covenant repeated his question, shouting it into the Lord's face.

Mhoram replied gently, "Drool is there, in the crevice. Power that he could not master destroys him. He no longer knows what he does. In a moment, the Fire-Lions will consume him."

Covenant strove to master his voice by biting down on it. "No!" he hissed. "He's just another victim. Foul planned this all along." Despite his clamped teeth, his voice sounded broken.

Comfortingly, Mhoram touched his shoulder. "Be at peace, Unbeliever. We have done all we can. You need not condemn yourself."

Abruptly, Covenant found that his rage was gone--collapsed into dust. He felt blasted and wrecked, and he sank to the ground as if his bones could no longer hold him. His eyes had a tattered look, like the sails of a ghost ship. Without caring what he did, he pushed his wedding band back onto his ring finger.
I find this passage interesting for a few reasons.

For one thing, it seems Covenant realizes he still has choices and isn't as cornered as he's been prone to think, and he realizes this when he sees that his ring is finally cleansed of Drool's power. (I presume this happened when Bannor compelled the ring to touch the Staff while Prothall was summoning the Fire-Lions.)

The mad exulting barks of the ur-viles as they plunged off the cliff makes me curious. Were they happy because they thought they were about to get the ring? Or did they realize they missed him as they plunged and were just content that they got to choose their own manner of death, rather than wait around to be consumed by the Fire-Lions? Or did the cries sounding fiercely triumphant just get misinterpreted by Covenant, when the ur-viles were actually expressing frustration or despair?

A third notion that struck me upon reading this passage was that despite his insistence that this experience in the Land has been nothing more than a dream, Thomas Covenant cares about what goes on in the Land by this point. He cares about Drool enough to protest that Drool is just another victim, not deserving of death. And he cares enough about his companions to save their Quest before departing to our world:
Lord Mhoram finally shook himself free of his entrancement. "Call your Ranyhyn," he commanded Bannor. "The Bloodguard can save themselves. Take the Staff and the Second Ward. Call the Ranyhyn and escape."

Bannor met Mhoram's gaze for a long moment, measuring the Lord's order. Then he refused stolidly. "One of us will go. To carry the Staff and Ward to Lord's Keep. The rest remain."

"Why? We cannot escape. You must live--to serve the Lords who must carry on this war."

"Perhaps." Bannor shrugged slightly. "Who can say? High Lord Kevin ordered us away, and we obeyed. We will not do such a thing again."

"But this death is useless!" cried Mhoram.

"Nevertheless." The Bloodguard's tone was as blank as iron. Then he added, "But you can call Hynaril. Do so, Lord."

"No," Mhoram sighed with a tired smile of recognition. "I cannot. How could I leave so many to die"

Covenant only half listened. He felt like a derelict, and he was picking among the wreckage of his emotions, in search of something worth salvaging. But part of him understood. He put the two fingers of his right hand between his lips and gave one short, piercing whistle.

All the company stared at him. Quaan seemed to think that the Unbeliever had lost his mind; Mhoram's eyes jumped at wild guesses. But Manethrall Lithe tossed her cord high in the air and crowed, "The Ranyhyn! Mane of the World! He calls them!"

"How?" protested Quaan. "He refused them."

"They reared to him!" she returned with a nickering laugh. "They will come."
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

In [i]Lord Foul's Bane[/i] Chapter 25 was wrote:But the Quest had survived, At least his bargain had been good for that.

Then the doctor gave him a ride in a wheelchair down to the discharge exit. Outside the building, the doctor suddenly began to talk as if in some oblique way he were trying to apologize for not keeping Covenant in the hospital. "It must be hell to be a leper," he said rapidly. "I'm trying to understand. It's like-- I studied in Heidelberg, years ago, and while I was there I saw a lot medieval art. Especially religious art. Being a leper reminds me of statues of the Crucifixion made during the Middle Ages. There is Christ on the Cross, and his features--his body, even his face--are portrayed so blandly that the figure is unrecognizable. It could be anyone, man or woman. But the wounds--the nails in the hands and feet, the spear in the side, the crown of thorns--are carved and even painted in incredibly vivid detail. You would think the artist crucified his model to get that kind of realism.

"Being a leper must be like that."

Covenant felt the doctor's sympathy, but he could not reply to it. He did not know how.
I like that there is at least one person in our world who tries to understand and empathize with what Covenant is going through. And I think this doctor realizes something about Covenant's problems dealing with being ostracized by the town: the townspeople see only the disease, not seeing the person suffering from the disease as a real person dealing with a deep lonelinesss. They see the wounds, not the face.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

:goodpost:

Return to “1st Chronicles”