Kevin's ghost

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

A resurrected, undead Kevin with mastery of all seven wards would clean Mhoram's clock IMO.
That was also Mhoram's opinion. In Ch.26 of TIW, he explains to Hile Troy the reasons why he and Calindrill were unable to help her against Kevin in the fight that was still raging at that moment:
Yes if we gained the High Lord, we would have nothing to offer her but the frail strength of two Lords. With the Staff of Law, she far surpasses us.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

DrPaul wrote:
A resurrected, undead Kevin with mastery of all seven wards would clean Mhoram's clock IMO.
That was also Mhoram's opinion. In Ch.26 of TIW, he explains to Hile Troy the reasons why he and Calindrill were unable to help her against Kevin in the fight that was still raging at that moment:
Yes if we gained the High Lord, we would have nothing to offer her but the frail strength of two Lords. With the Staff of Law, she far surpasses us.
Exactly. I get that a large percentage of people on this site are deep into the Mhoram-worship...I've never really been a huge fan...but even they should realize that Kevin was ten times the High Lord Mhoram ever was. Power-wise, at least. In other ways Mhoram was clearly superior, I must admit.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

DrPaul wrote:
I compared Kevin's ghost to TPTP Mhoram. He definitely became stronger though it's true we don't know if that was strong enough to face Kevin.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Mhoram was a dedicated and selfless hero. He may not have had a 10th of Kevin's power but if he failed in a contest between the two you wouldn't be able to say that it was because Mhoram's character was flawed. I'm not sure one could say the same about the reverse.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Horrim Carabal wrote: In other ways Mhoram was clearly superior, I must admit.
Like in the "don't destroy the Land thinking that'll be a victory" department? ;)
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

That's a big department!
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

I feel that one of the "points" SRD makes with Kevin is that lore/magic/knowledge isn't sufficient against despair. Kevin has all the lore, and it's useless against Foul. Whereas by Mhoram's time the lore knowledge is much reduced among the lords, but they more than make up for that in other ways.

Kevin has to be superior on the power scale, or the whole thing falls flat.

It's like people who think more money would bring them happiness. It never does.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Kevin had much more lore and power, but Mhoram turns out to have more wisdom and inner strength.

I also have a post bubbling up in my about why the New Lords developed the mindmeld, which the Old Lords did not have, and whether this was partly in response to the consequences of Kevin not sharing his despairing thoughts with anyone else before the RoD.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Hang on. NO ONE in the Land can defeat Foul. That's the whole premise of the story.

Fault Kevin for other things. But not for being unable to defeat the Despiser. So there's no statement about the adequacy of lore here. Or of wisdom. Kevin damned himself by his choices, not by his eficacy.

Mhoram would have been defeated as well. But he would have lost with his integrity in tact.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

wayfriend wrote:Hang on. NO ONE in the Land can defeat Foul. That's the whole premise of the story.

Fault Kevin for other things. But not for being unable to defeat the Despiser. So there's no statement about the adequacy of lore here. Or of wisdom. Kevin damned himself by his choices, not by his eficacy.

Mhoram would have been defeated as well. But he would have lost with his integrity in tact.
I agree that no one in the Land can defeat Foul, but Kevin was the apotheosis of that idea. Kevin is Casey at the bat. He's the biggest, most powerful, most lore-wise Lord ever. He probably commanded the greatest army of good the Land had ever seen. He's the pinnacle of what power a human High Lord can wield. That's why it's so crushing when we/he realized it wasn't enough.

No other High Lord (Mhoram, Elena, etc) can be more powerful than Kevin, because that would abrogate or somehow diminish the whole point of Kevin. You can't have another batter come up after Casey who is even better.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”