The Leprosarium and Foul's Creche

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

...and why does Foul's Creche have all sorts of "apartments" included? The description says they are unadorned and have never been - and never would be - occupied by anyone. So why did the Despiser create them?

Same with the two huge, windowed towers. Does Foul ever go up there? He is shown hanging out in the Thronehall only in TPTP, and that is deep in the lower reaches of the place.

Foul's Creche to me is one of the most interesting locales of the books far more interesting than Kiril Threndor. Why does Foul relocate to Mount Thunder instead of rebuilding his Creche?

And in the Last Chronicles, he's back in the Heart of Thunder again?

I wish we'd seen more of the Creche.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Horrim Carabal wrote: Foul's Creche to me is one of the most interesting locales of the books far more interesting than Kiril Threndor. Why does Foul relocate to Mount Thunder instead of rebuilding his Creche?

If the Creche is a representation of something in the real world, and was utterly destroyed at the end of the first trilogy then it follows that whatever it represented was destroyed also. If it was the Leprosarium then perhaps it can't be rebuilt because Covenant has moved beyond needing such help in the real world.

Of course it could also be that the physical building of the Leprosarium was demolished to make way for a Louisiana State highway overpass. You never know. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I believe Covenant needed to go back to the leprosarium one more time, after the events in TPTP -- after he had destroyed the creche.
In [i]The Wounded Land[/i] was wrote:His tone conveyed a shrug, "But I'm just guessing. The fact is, she divorced him, and he didn't contest it. After a few months, his illness was arrested, and he came back to Haven Farm. Alone. That was not a good time for him. All his neighbors moved away. Some people in this fair town tried to force him to leave. He was to the Hospital a couple times, and the second time he was half dead-" Dr. Berenford seemed to wince at the memory. "His disease was active again. We sent him back to the leprosarium.

"When he came home again, everything was different. He seemed to have recovered his sanity. For ten years now he's been stable. A little grim, maybe-not exactly what you might call diffident-but accessible, reasonable, compassionate. Every year he foots the bill for several of our indigent patients."
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Oh, I see the confusion Wayfriend.

The leprosarium referred to in The Wounded Land is the same organization, the Carville Leprosarium (Previously known as the Louisiana Leper Home), but the building that housed them in the late 1970s was swept away by Tropical Storm Debra in 1978 when Foul's Creche was destroyed.

Glad to clear that up. :-)

BTW the name and location of the leprosarium is true, and tropical storm Debra did impact Louisiana in 1978 but the rest is BS. FYI
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Doh!

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”