Ranking of the 10 chronicles books

A place to discuss the entirety of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Moderators: kevinswatch, aliantha

Absolam
Servant of the Land

Post by Absolam »

Oh wow this is a great topic. I had fun reading everyone's input and seeing such divergent lists (completely to be expected).
I know I am posting very late on a very old thread. My only excuse is that I so rarely find that some free time coincides with my thoughts of this forum.
1. LFB
2. TPTP
3. TWL
4. TOT
5. TIW
6. WGW
7. FR
8. AATE
9. ROTE
10. TLD

By chronicles.
1, 2, 3

The final chronicles get better with re-reads, in my opinion. I think the scope of that final chronicle is just too much to absorb easily. There are too many factions, too much going on to soak it all in. If you read lightly or skim (regardless of the reason) you're going to think SRD was giving up and going for the easy finish by the time you complete it. He said himself it was going to be beyond any skills he had previously demonstrated. I suggest a re-read of the entire series when you are ready and take your time. Think of it as a journey, not a destination.
-Abs
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Nice post Abs. My list is similar but lol different.

LFB and TPTP are my favourite single reads as the introduction to the land, well the world is so wonderful, and all the inhabitants,!and you get to meet everyone. Thd Illeaeth stone I liked as it brings all stor elements together, well almost all.

Of the secon chrons my all time fave is TOT .. loved all three but the one tree I really lived. Im not sure I can say WGW was a fave because I wept buckets, so effected was I by the masterful authorship. SRD touched my life! I think besides The LOTRs no other book has left me so affected. It was two weeks, I know it is pathetic till I found my feet again and the overwhelming grief I experienced subsided enough for me to search out other SRD works. I enjoyed them all. And I liked that each series of works could be readily distinguished from the others. Even though I longed for more from the land, I never truly expected SRD to write more. Well he said he wasnt intending to. But then he released news of returning to the land for a 3rd Chrons or Last Chrons. I bought every book as it was released. Time between books was agony. 😂

I discovered GRR Martin. Another poster here recommended them and I inhaled them. Brilliant but different type of fantasy. In between Martins releases and like most people here no doubt reread the Chrons before each new book in the last Chrons was released. So the entire story was fresh and made the new books more fulsome.

The Last Chrons fall next in line for me. I havent reread the Last Chrons. Maybe I should. From what you and Wayfriend have said it might be of benefit.

Cheers
sky 😁
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “The Entire Chronicles”