Picture or sketch of revelstone

A place to share and discuss fan made artwork of the Chronicles.

Moderator: danlo

t7013tjr
Servant of the Land

Picture or sketch of revelstone

Post by t7013tjr »

Looking for a depiction of Revelstone. I want to find something that captures the gate and cliffs of Revelstone as one would see it approaching from on foot. Anyone seen anything like that? Thanks.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

There's very little.

There's a drawing from the excerpt/book "Gildenfire", which frankly I don't find very true to the story.
https://goo.gl/images/SZmrA4

There's the cover illustration from the original release of The Power That Preserves. It's more accurate, but it's far from satisfying.
https://goo.gl/images/DjPJq7

And then there's a work of concept art for the movie that was in the works a while ago, which no one has seen, but which Donaldson has said was really good. It's love to see it, but I doubt that will happen. I am left to wonder if it conveyed anything like the sense of pattern and message which the Giants wrought.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Gotta say neither of those do it for me. Unfortunately, I can't draw worth a damn. :D

Welcome to the Watch by the way t7013tjr. :D

What do you want it for? Stick around and join in. :D

--A
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

wayfriend wrote:
And then there's a work of concept art for the movie that was in the works a while ago, which no one has seen, but which Donaldson has said was really good. It's love to see it, but I doubt that will happen. I am left to wonder if it conveyed anything like the sense of pattern and message which the Giants wrought.
I wasn't aware they tried to make a movie. Please tell me more about it. When was it? How far did it go? Only concept art or did they pick actors and had a solid script?

There was also Bedtime Hour visuals of various locations in the Land including a few within Revelstone.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

There was a forum for it, but we shelved it eventually...IIRC the threads got shifted into the Gen SRD forum...just do a search for TC Movie (I think and you should find some. One of the guys involved was even a member for a while if I recall.

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

FYI

The Chronicles Art Gallery

The movie forum is no more but the main movie news thread remains:
Movie News
Movie News Discussion

There are many other threads about the movies that were once to be but now never were.
t7013tjr
Servant of the Land

Picture of Revelstone

Post by t7013tjr »

Avatar wrote:Gotta say neither of those do it for me. Unfortunately, I can't draw worth a damn. :D

Welcome to the Watch by the way t7013tjr. :D

What do you want it for? Stick around and join in. :D

--A
Thank you for the welcome. In returning thanks I honor the giver. It seems like that or something similar was the appropriate response.

I have recently returned to table top RPG gaming after more than 2 decades. My sons, a couple of their friends and a couple of folks I used to game with are playing. I decided to try and create a game world regarding "The Land" and am running them through it under the D&D 3.5 SRD. The group is on their way to Revelstone and I wanted to have a picture to show them along with my verbal description.

I have seen all the suggestions given so far. I agree with the other posts though that based on Mr. Donaldson's description, none of the current art seems to capture the majesty of Revelstone.

Thanks for all the responses and if anyone comes across one they really like, please let me know.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

There are art renditions from other sources like
Martin's asoiaf (Castlry Rock):

and even a few relevant rw castles/cities that were carved from the living rock:

listverse.com/2012/11/26/10-incredible- ... from-rock/
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Ooh wow thats a beauty
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I have been searching for a good image of Revelstone for the past 30 years but for some reason it has failed to inspire artists to date it seems...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Part of the problem (I think) is that some of the dimensions given are quite illogical. For example, the tower is 1,000 feet high? I sometimes think Donaldson doesn't quite appreciate how tall 1,000 feet is. (The Empire State Building is 1,250 feet tall if you exclude the antenna. Imagine Elena on the observation deck trying to rally her soldiers who are on the streets below!)

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Hahaha excellent observation wayfriend 😂 but yeah makes sense

Amy great to see you 😊
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Images like this (Monument Valley) help me imagine what the plateau and tower of Revelstone might have looked like (before the Giants came along, anyway).

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

One of the reasons that I think there should be no movie version of the Chronicles is because I think no visual display of Revelstone can ever equal the mental image of Revelstone that Donaldson gives us:
In [i]Lord Foul's Bane[/i] Chapter 12 was wrote:...The steepness of the climb made Foamfollower stumble several times, and he was barely strong enough to catch himself on the horses. But when he had labored up the ridge, he stopped, lifted up his head, spread his arms wide, and began to laugh. "There, my friend. Does that not answer you?" His voice was weak, but gay with refreshed joy.

Ahead over a few lower hills was Lord's Keep.

The sight caught Covenant by surprise, almost took his breath away. Revelstone was a masterwork. It stood in granite permanence like an enactment of eternity, a timeless achievement formed of mere lasting rock by some pure, supreme Giantish participation in skill.

Covenant agreed that Revelstone was too short a name for it.

The eastern edge of the plateau was finished by a broad shaft of rock, half as high as the plateau and separate from it except at the base, the first several hundred feet. This shaft had been hollowed into a tower which guarded the sole entrance to the Keep, and circles of windows rose up past the abutments to the fortified crown. But most of Lord's Keep was carved into the mountain gut-rock under the plateau.

For half a mile west from the tower, the entire cliff-face had been worked by the old Giants--sheered and crafted into a vertical outer wall for the city, which, Covenant later learned, filled the whole, wedge-shaped promontory of the plateau. The wall was intricately labored--lined and coigned and serried with regular and irregular groups of windows, balconies, buttresses--orieled and parapeted--wrought in a prolific and seemingly spontaneous multitude of details which appeared to be on the verge of crystallizing into a pattern. But light flashed and danced on the polished cliff-face, and the wealth of variation in the work overwhelmed Covenant's senses, so that he could not grasp whatever pattern might be there.

But with his new eyes he could see the thick, bustling, communal life of the city. It shone from behind the all as if the rock were almost translucent, almost lit from within like a chiaroscuro by the life-force of its thousands of inhabitants. The sight made the whole Keep swirl before him. Though he looked at it from a distance, and could encompass it all--Furl Falls roaring on one side and the expanse of the plains reclining on the other--he felt that the old Giants had outdone him. Here was a work worthy of pilgrimages, ordeals. He was not surprised to hear Foamfollower whisper like a vestal, "Ah, Revelstone! Lord's Keep! Here the Unhomed surpass their loss."

The Eoman responded in litany:

"Giant-troth Revelstone, ancient ward--
Heart and door of Earthfriend's main:
Preserve the true with Power's sword,
Thou ages-Keeper, Mountain-reign!"

Return to “The Chronicles Art Gallery”