Grimmand Honninscrave, Gossamer Glowlimn and Bahgoon?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Forestal
Bloodguard

Grimmand Honninscrave, Gossamer Glowlimn and Bahgoon?

Post by Forestal »

So, throughout the chronicles, the giants for the most part have a theme for their naming.
Saltheart Foamfollower - sea compass, Vigilall Scudweather - something to do with perceptiveness, Sparlimb Keelsetter - carpenter or shipwright.
The list goes on of giants with names which describe their appearance, or work, or abilities.

Except these three, unless there is a meaning to their names which I am unaware of? (while Gossamer Glowlimn could mean something like 'thinly veiled artwork', I don't think that describes the First in any reasonable fashion.)

I have a poorly thought out theory that the seemingly meaningless nature of their names is SRD's way of giving a portent as to their likelihood to be immortalised in giantish tales at a later date. Bahgoon the Unbearable does describe himself, but "the unbearable" isn't his name, it's his title, so I don't think this counts as it was likely assigned to him for the purpose of the story. Grimmand of course is well worthy of story, being the first known being to at least assist in destroying a Raver. Gossamer... I confess my memory of her is faded because I haven't read the second chronicles in a decade, but the search for the Unhomed is certainly a giantish tale worth remembering.

The exception to this rule is perhaps Saltheart Foamfollower - who we all know is the most worthy giant of tales in the entirity of Covenant. But Saltheart is one of the Unhomed - lost to the giants and the Unhomed are all dead, there are no more tales to be told.

Thoughts?
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well, Glowlimn is clearly glow + limn, both are regular words. Literally it means having a glowing aura. Certainly apropos. Remember, this is Pitchwife's "pet" name for his wife. He's clearly contrasting the inner delicacy that he knows with her exterior hardness.

Also:
In the Gradual Interview, Stephen R Donaldson wrote:Sadly, the truth is less interesting than your speculations. I started with something along the lines of "Grim-hand Honors-crave," but that seemed rather (if I may say so) heavy-handed, so I blurred the syllables. I didn't want to make it *too* obvious that he had a special fate. To be consistent, of course, I should have thrown in a few other similar names; but alas....

(08/14/2006)
Bahgoon remains a mystery. However, I suspect that it arises in a similar way (Donaldson's comment to the contrary). Big + Goon ?
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

Well that's a less than satisfying reveal :(

I should probably read some of that interview.. I see it referenced a lot and I've never done so.
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

The Gradual Interview is very rewarding but it's also very, very long. I followed it as it came out, a couple questions a week. Reading it from end-to-end would be daunting, like reading 10 years of facebook posts at once.

That being said, it's useful if you search it for specific things.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

It strikes me that in Giant society, one's "adult" name is bestowed or earned at some key point as they grow up.

Could you imagine, for example, the proud parent in Seareach naming her triplets "Kin Slaughterer" or "Satan's Fist"? "Flesh Harrower"? I didn't think so.

Cable Seadreamer was given his name when the accident with the cable triggered his Earth Sight.

Gossamer was probably a giant of rare beauty, gaining that name before becoming the First of the Search.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Then they aren't names given at birth or immediately thereafter .. they are nicknames, names earned in life or youth or adventure.

I like that better .. yes good point with the triplet names. I wonder who "Satan" is to the Land .. its surely more than just a name
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

To reference a totally unrelated story world - in D&D 3.5, Dragonlance, the Kagonesti (Wood Elves) would have a birthname (often like a Native American name - Sitting Wolf or Pouncing Tiger, that sort of thing) and would take on a new name when they came of age (between 30-45 years old) which represented their current life choices. It isn't unusual for a Kagonesti to change their name multiple times during their life to represent who they have become, I wouldn't be surprised if giants did a similar thing.

Although, it would seem a little egotistical of Gossamer to choose a name for herself which basically said to the world "Look how gorgeous I am!".

IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

Forestal wrote:To reference a totally unrelated story world - in D&D 3.5, Dragonlance, the Kagonesti (Wood Elves) would have a birthname (often like a Native American name - Sitting Wolf or Pouncing Tiger, that sort of thing) and would take on a new name when they came of age (between 30-45 years old) which represented their current life choices. It isn't unusual for a Kagonesti to change their name multiple times during their life to represent who they have become, I wouldn't be surprised if giants did a similar thing.

Although, it would seem a little egotistical of Gossamer to choose a name for herself which basically said to the world "Look how gorgeous I am!".
Yes, the concept is one applicable to several other societies. In the case of the Giants, I don't think the names are normally self-selected, though they may have the opportunity to suggest and/or veto. I might wonder if Gossamer was her birth name. It certainly is one that a parent might give her daughter in hopes of growing into.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In [i]The Wounded Land[/i] was wrote:"To me," he whispered, so that the First could not hear him, "she is named Gossamer Glowlimn."
In [i]The One Tree[/i] was wrote:After a moment, he commenced by saying, "Perchance it has come to your ears that I am husband to the First of the Search, whom I name Gossamer Glowlimn."
It's clear to me that Gossamer Glowlimn is Pitchwife's private name for his wife, and no one else uses it. Hence, I call it a "pet name".
In [i]Fatal Revenant[/i] was wrote:"With clumsiness and inattention, I have shamed the Swordmainnir as well as myself. Henceforth I will name myself Lax Blunderfoot. When our journey has come to its end, for good or ill, I will lay down my sword."
Again, there is a suggestion that Giants have "private" names - names which they and no one else would use, whether it be for themselves or someone else.

So: I don't think that Giants change their names so much as they acquire private names which accompany their actual ones.
In [i]Fatal Revenant[/i] was wrote:"Linden Avery, the third son of the third son of Glowlimn and Pitchwife was Exalt Widenedworld. But now the Giants of Home name him Lostson, and among the Swordmainnir he is called Longwrath."
Even here we can see the same pattern -- if you allow for the fact that a community (and the Giants form close communities) or a small group might share a private name for a Giant.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”