TMOHD Chapter 7: The Dungeons of Orison

Mordant's Need group reads

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dANdeLION, Cameraman Jenn

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

TMOHD Chapter 7: The Dungeons of Orison

Post by duchess of malfi »

When we rejoin Lady Terisa, she had just survived an assassination attempt with the help of Adept Havelock, who had blinded her attacker with a bright light, causing him to flee. Havelock himself vanishes, and following an impulse, Terisa hides all evidence of him and the secret door in the back of her wardrobe.

Though she is so afraid that she wishes to flee herself, Terisa follows the instructions of the guards and calls for help. More guards eventually arrive, followed by a short, intense, commanding man named Castellan Lebbick. Lebbick seems to know that Terisa is holding something back from him, and just as terisa is about to start babbling from panic, another guard comes, who tells Lebbick that the King has called off the search for terisa'a attacker, and that the King wants Terisa left alone. This infuriates the already angry Lebbick further.
"My lady be warned," he said. "I'm the Castellan of Orison. I'm responsible for many things, but above all else for the King's safety. He suffers from an unnatural faith in his own immortality. I'm not similarly afflicted." His jaws chewed the words like gristle. "I'll obey him as much as I can. Then I'll take matters into my own hands." Turning on his heel, he stamped away.
That night Terisa spends much time in thought.
...she felt an odd upswelling of joy. Apparently, Geraden had brought her to a place where she mattered. the fact that she was here made a difference. Castellan Lebbick took her seriously enough to get angry at her. Master Eremis had looked at her. It was even conceivable that he thought she was lovely. That had never happened to her before.
In the morning, Terisa finally looked outside her window, and found herself in a tower room. Saddith brought her some breakfast and the news that she had not been there the previous night because she had been in the bed of a Master. She then helps Terisa dress in a lovely gown. And then a knock on the door proves to be Geraden, who is rendered speechless for a bit at the sight of terisa in her finery. :wink:

Terisa decides to trust Geraden and tells him of what actually occurrred the previous night, including Havelock's part in the events, and shows him the door in the back of the wardrobe. the two talk for a time, then he offers to take her to visit the old dungeons, where the Congery now has its rooms. the Masters are having a meeting, so he feels he can safely show her about without their getting caught. he says that it might also be the only chance he might ever have to send her home, as he feels that the Masters feel that she's too important to allow her to leave.
So off to the dungeons they go. he shows her a room where apprentices are making mirrors, then takes her to rooms where mirrors are stored. One mirror he shows her is a Glass that only shows falling rain, which can be used to water crops in a drought. Another showed a sea scape, and yet another a monster.

Geraden finds the mirrors that show the Champion, and offers to take Terisa home. he offers to go first, to make sure that everything is safe, and ends up in the world of the Champion rather tha nterisa's apartment. he is shot at, and Terisa jerks him back. Then she insists on trying, but she ends up neither in her apartment nor the Champion's world -- she ends up in a lovely place, all grassy and filled with wildflowers. When she returns, the glass still shows the Champion. But when she looks at a nearby glass, the picture has shifted to an autumn scene of the place she had just visited, a place that is near Geraden's boyhood home.

Geraden takes this all to mean that she is an Imager of great power. Terisa takes it all to mean that she is a mere Image and doesn't exist.
When she realized tha tshe was also an Image that didn't exist, she nearly collapsed to her knees again.
Love as thou wilt.

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

That last bit is an amazing thesis! But what does it all mean Mr. Wizard? :?
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

really great job duchess!! .. its great someone else here is willing to take up some slack!!

thats a great chapter .. and a great summation of events ..

i will return to add some of my thoughts .. but not tonight .. :wink: :wink:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Hope so, it's been a long time since I read Mordant and I'm a bit confused at what happens at the end of this chapter. Why is not the mirror that Terisa tries to go through but a completly different one that shifts its focus? And why is one of the places in spring and the other autumn? :?: :?:
Or would it be too spoilery for me to know the answers right now?
Love as thou wilt.

Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I think we are seeing the random interplay of subconscious desires and the abilities of both Terisa and Geraden at work here.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

The answers to those questions come later in the book...:)

~MsMary~
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Make sure to point them out at that time then please.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I'd forgotten that this is the chapter that introduces Lebbick. He seems about to snap at any moment, he comes across as wound SO tightly! :crazy:
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:biggrin:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

DANLO! Always pleasant to see a post from you! :7up:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Cord Hurn wrote:DANLO! Always pleasant to see a post from you! :7up:

Darn, now I've done scared him off! Maybe I should just be quiet... :3M:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Cord Hurn wrote:

Give him a few months .. he ll be back ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Skyweir wrote:
Cord Hurn wrote:

Give him a few months .. he ll be back ;)

The voice of experience! Okay, Sky, thanks for the encouragement, and I'll have faith that he'll be back! :cross: :mrgreen:

Return to “Casting the Augury”