Is it Scott Brick? please let it be Scott Brick
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Haha, way too soon I suspect.

--A
russw
Servant of the Land

Post by russw »

Avatar wrote:Haha, way too soon I suspect.

--A
book releases in November... seems reasonable they would have cast the book reader by now
Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Books on Tape have the audio up for sale, and the narrator is, indeed, Scott Brick. Hopefully it will appear elsewhere as well.

www.booksontape.com/author/7241/stephen-r-donaldson/

HBJ
Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Seventh Decimate is now available in audio from audible.com.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fanta ... 0774ZS2QP/

HBJ
djaef
Servant of the Land

Post by djaef »

He reads it very well.
caprica
Servant of the Land

Post by caprica »

Does anyone else find Scott Brick's narration to be somewhat "tense"? For me, he reads just about EVERY SENTENCE with a great sense of urgency, so much
that it makes it emotionally exhausting to listen over many hours.

(I have no complaint about other aspects of his narration, though. Other than the above, he is very good.)

On a more minor note, I wonder about his pronunciation of "Elohim", which he says as "EL OH HEEM" instead of what I see on the page as "EE LOW HIM". Does anyone know how this word is correctly pronounced?

thanks,
Caprica
caprica
Servant of the Land

Post by caprica »

Just to be clear, I meant this as a general comment about Mr. Brick's narration of the 3 Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, not just the 7th Decimate.
-Caprica
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
caprica wrote:On a more minor note, I wonder about his pronunciation of "Elohim", which he says as "EL OH HEEM" instead of what I see on the page as "EE LOW HIM". Does anyone know how this word is correctly pronounced?
I understand it as the former: "EL OH HEEM".

My :2c:.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

caprica wrote:Does anyone else find Scott Brick's narration to be somewhat "tense"? For me, he reads just about EVERY SENTENCE with a great sense of urgency, so much
that it makes it emotionally exhausting to listen over many hours.
Yes. I am in the middle of my first Brick Book, Runes of the Earth. I give him points for adding emotion and energy. But, yes, at times he seems a bit emphatic. I wouldn't change anything, though.

Overall his tone and accent comes across as a bit west coast intellectual. It didn't feel like a good fit until I got used to it. But I think this is part of the feeling - everything is dissected as much as it's read.

(I quite enjoy his take on Haruchai speaking. But dislike the way he says ha-ROO-chye,)
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

caprica wrote:On a more minor note, I wonder about his pronunciation of "Elohim", which he says as "EL OH HEEM" instead of what I see on the page as "EE LOW HIM". Does anyone know how this word is correctly pronounced
As someone familiar with the word as used in Hebrew prayer, I can tell you Brick has it right.

More generally, I would expect that the enunciation Brick uses to be pretty definitive. He is well known for researching the obscure words authors use and I know that he interacted with SRD on earlier projects to make sure that he'd captured the intended diction.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I dont have the audio book. But with audio books I cant get into some narrators if they sound as you describe Caprica ... I would find it a hard slog getting through that too. My son had audio HP and I loathed the narration.. the guy just wasnt relaxed either and not expressive. I couldnt listen to it 🤢
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “Seventh Decimate”