Welcome to The Loresraat

Technology, computers, sciences, mysteries and phenomena of all kinds, etc., etc. all here at The Loresraat!!

Moderator: Vraith

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Avatar wrote:And welcome to our new moderator for the Loresraat, Vraith.
My instantaneous knee-jerk reaction is, "Holy cow!"
Congratulations, Vraith!!!
Saw your name in green, and looked around for which forum.
Avatar wrote:I expect everybody to make his life a living hell in here.

And...Go!
Haha, that is such an appropriate greeting.

But personally, I want to know what vraith thinks of this challenge...
For reasons that are completely theoretical, of course... :evilfoul:
Last edited by Linna Heartbooger on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:
Avatar wrote:I expect everybody to make his life a living hell in here.

And...Go!
Haha, that is such an appropriate greeting.

But personally, I want to know what vraith thinks of this challenge...
For reasons that are completely theoretical, of course... :evilfoul:
Well, I've always known that hell is other people...so I've just got my own little demesne now.
So the denizens could make attempts...
But they should recall, as the man said...
It's GOOD to be the king!...
And I have all these little buttons to try out...
Shall we discover what they do together?
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

vraith wrote:And I have all these little buttons to try out...
Shall we discover what they do together?
Buttons, you say?
Reference consciously intended?
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Re: Welcome to The Loresraat

Post by Skyweir »

Lord Mhoram wrote:Here we can discuss technology stuff, computers, current events etc., etc. Welcome.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh I miss you Mhoram!! *wonder where Mhoram now hails*

mmm... :(
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling ๐Ÿ˜Š :D ๐Ÿ˜Š

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Kizza
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kizza »

So some advice please. Surface pro or laptop, for me not my kids.

any suggestions why I should not go the surface pro thingy?
Never fight fair with a stranger, boy. You'll never get out of the jungle that way. - Arthur Miller
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

What do you want to use it for?

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I got the much looked down on MAC Book Pro and love it .. I love that it syncs with everything .. my phone, my iPad .. everything .. so updates to my calendar are updated on each of my other devices :biggrin:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Get a laptop with a touchscreen (as many now have).
Less expensive, more all-around utility, and more durable.
Consider Chromebook if it fits your needs and you want to save money.
Many schools now do everything in Google cloud anyway.
Kizza
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kizza »

I want it for email and general use in travel. Need to connect to a couple of client networks while I am mobile.
It needs to be light. Durability is probably more important than I initially considered.
Would need to be able to plug into anything for presenting.
I carry a small over the shoulder bag..... There was a time when I used a bag on wheels because I would carry so much. But these days I am all online to servers and some personal stuff on cloud.. but I still carry a paper notepad. Was thinking the surface could help me move away from the paper notepad.
The mention of durability has me looking back to a laptop and away from the surface, even though I take care of things pretty well.
and I am still a Microsoft player.
Never fight fair with a stranger, boy. You'll never get out of the jungle that way. - Arthur Miller

Post by Avatar »

Agree with WF. Touchscreen 2-in-1 type laptop / tablet.

My boss is currently running one of these which he's pretty happy with and seems to work pretty well:

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/y ... 8YG9000859

Just have to wipe out most of the Lenovo bloatware. :D

--A
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Avatar wrote:Agree with WF. Touchscreen 2-in-1 type laptop / tablet.

Just have to wipe out most of the Lenovo bloatware. :D

--A
On the first, yes, do that dual form. Some have bugs/inconveniences still being worked out...but nowhere NEAR the inconvenience that exists and will only increase of having to switch back and forth from touch and non-touch devices.

On the second---do NOT get a goddamn Lenovo. I don't know how long your boss has had it, Av...but even if you strip it of almost everything it comes with, it has pain-in-the-ass shit you can't get rid of, and stacks up more pains-in-the-ass over time. They're like the Brian Lumley version of vampires. GOD's aren't as un-killable as Lumley vamps. Or a leper computer, you have to watch everything all the time...and the longer you have it, worse/harder it gets. [[Funnily enough, leprosy is a big deal in Lumley's series---all Donaldson/Covenant parallels stop there.]]

That may be just bad design and bloat...but there is increasing evidence that Lenovo intentionally builds in bad shit.

But ignoring bad intentions, just functionality, you don't have to take my word for it...

David Brin basically called Lenovo laptop the worst machine he'd ever bought.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Kizza
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kizza »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. The Lenovo looks pretty classy. I reckon the Toshibe Portege range looks right for me, but I will seek out the Lenovo for a look.
www.mytoshiba.com.au/products/computers ... 22a-003003
"Bloatware" I am assuming is start up software which makes the machine slow down?
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:P

Thats why I love my Mac Book :P have had no shit with it .. and it is light, and multi syncable .. and functional. And I take it everywhere .. have dropped the fucker a couple of times and .. doesnt seem to mind ... :roll: too much ... well its never once complained ;)

:P

DISRESPECTFULLY BLOWS POINTED RASPBERRIES AT I.T. GENIUSES AND ANTI MAC TYPES :P
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Avatar »

Vraith wrote:
On the second---do NOT get a goddamn Lenovo. I don't know how long your boss has had it, Av...but even if you strip it of almost everything it comes with, it has pain-in-the-ass shit you can't get rid of, and stacks up more pains-in-the-ass over time.
Haha, now that you mention it, I heard him bitching about it just yesterday. :D

Wouldn't an immediate format and clean install sort that out though?
Kizza wrote:"Bloatware" I am assuming is start up software which makes the machine slow down?
Partially yes, although not just start-up stuff. Basically all the "proprietary" junk that manufacturers pre-load a machine with, supposedly to give you better functionality, but yes, really to slow things down, report back to them, etc. etc.

I don't do laptops myself, and I build all my PC's from scratch (it's cheaper) so I never suffer from it, but pre-loaded laptops are notorious for it, no matter what you buy.

The Toshiba looks pretty good, but guaranteed it will be loaded with Toshiba junk and "management" programs etc.
Skyweir wrote: DISRESPECTFULLY BLOWS POINTED RASPBERRIES AT I.T. GENIUSES AND ANTI MAC TYPES :P
I hate Macs. :D

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:

yep .. that was meant for you :P

But why???? LOL

Cue Mathesar on the torture bed thingy .. when he learns the .. ;) show ;) isnt real
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Kizza
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Kizza »

Av,
So just so that I get it squared away, the laptops are more robust than the surface and that is the key differentiator?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Avatar wrote: Wouldn't an immediate format and clean install sort that out though?
Yea, you could make a recovery disc [heh...disc...of course it won't be a disc :lol: ] for the OS, then reformat to remove everything. Windows 10 actually made that pretty damn easy...though the whole process, then getting the stuff you want installed can take a big chunk of time.
But when there are options that DON't require you to do that, why choose one that does?

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, I was thinking of recommending it to my boss. :D
Kizza wrote:Av,
So just so that I get it squared away, the laptops are more robust than the surface and that is the key differentiator?
Well, they are more robust, but also more versatile. You can use it as a normal laptop, then fold it over into tablet mode if you need it.

--A

Return to โ€œThe Loresraatโ€