the Haruchai as Masters

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Vanja the Gravelingas
Servant of the Land

the Haruchai as Masters

Post by Vanja the Gravelingas »

We all know that the Haruchai are usually those who fight on TC's and Lords' side without question,because they've never been fit for leadership. In the last chronicles,however,they became the Masters in order to "prevent the Earthpower from being misused". I think there's more to it than they said,though. As they can't use the Earthpower,they might even be afraid of those who can. So if they can't use it,no-one will.
What do you think about it?
Thorhammerhand
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Thorhammerhand »

Their mastery both contradicts and affirms the task that TC gives the Haruchai at the end of 'Those who part' chapeter 12 of WGW.
If we all follow Berek's code of warriors then the world would be full of the worst warriors imaginable.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

IN the first Chronicles...they saw how their vow could be Corrupted...and their vow was a thing of Earthpower.

IN the Second chrons...they saw how their strength could be manipulated by the Sunbane-a perversion of Earthpower.

I can't blame them for not wanting anyone to use any kind of Earthpower ever...they are not only scarred of what it might do to the Land...they are scarred of what it might do to themselves.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
lmyhcsf
Servant of the Land

Post by lmyhcsf »

How can the Haruchai not believe in the Earths Power too be good since they are "supposed to remember everything". They have seen it, at some some certain cases from the first person. But then some of the Bguards have never made it back to tell the tale.
At the moment I am (re Runes of) a little bit p***** off with them.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

drew wrote:IN the first Chronicles...they saw how their vow could be Corrupted...and their vow was a thing of Earthpower.

IN the Second chrons...they saw how their strength could be manipulated by the Sunbane-a perversion of Earthpower.

I can't blame them for not wanting anyone to use any kind of Earthpower ever...they are not only scarred of what it might do to the Land...they are scarred of what it might do to themselves.
By becoming masters they are what they despise...corrupt power.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
lmyhcsf
Servant of the Land

Post by lmyhcsf »

Vraith wrote:
drew wrote:IN the first Chronicles...they saw how their vow could be Corrupted...and their vow was a thing of Earthpower.

By becoming masters they are what they despise...corrupt power.
Nope still doesnt make sense, they remember!!! what the goodness is. Maybe I have to read again, well not until its all finished.
Thanks for the insights tho.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

They have come to the conclusion that using Earthpower will lead to Corruption, regardless of how pure or noble the intentions might be.

Strangely enough, this means that they would oppose even Forestals, were they still to exist.

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:They have come to the conclusion that using Earthpower will lead to Corruption, regardless of how pure or noble the intentions might be.

Strangely enough, this means that they would oppose even Forestals, were they still to exist.

On the first: exactly. They DO remember the "goodness," but in the context that no matter how "good," the end is corruption. And they fail to see that without that power wielded for good, the corruption happens anyway, and more easily. [without the Lords...even including Kevin...the entirety of the land would have been wasteland long ago].

On the second...perhaps, it's an interesting thought...but perhaps not, because like the Ranyhyn, the Forestals power is part of what they are in themselves, not a tool/lore they learn to wield. I think. Even Hile doesn't "learn" to be one so much as he is transformed into one.
Still....you could be right.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Vraith wrote:On the second...perhaps, it's an interesting thought...but perhaps not, because like the Ranyhyn, the Forestals power is part of what they are in themselves, not a tool/lore they learn to wield. I think. Even Hile doesn't "learn" to be one so much as he is transformed into one.
I see what you mean. Lords learn lore and through this wield power whereas Forestals are power. That makes all the difference.

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
rbailey003
Servant of the Land

the Haruchai as Masters

Post by rbailey003 »

According to their brutal logic, they can accept ruin at the hands of Lord Foul, made easier by the people of the Land being bereft of Earthpower. What they can't accept is ruin at the hands of their friends, people of the land using Earthpower and then succumbing to despair. The former is defeat under a foe, and the latter is grief over a friend.
OisinAnderson
Servant of the Land

Post by OisinAnderson »

No, the Haruchai are definitely not suited to rule. If this new series has shown me anything, it's that as a group they seem to be deaf to logic and arrogant in the extreme- after their lengthy catalog of failures in the past, they should know by now that they are the LAST people qualified to make these kinds of decisions for the people of the Land, if anyone has the right, which they don't. It's too bad the Land has no adage like "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater", because that's exactly what they're doing.

I love the Haruchai, they are fascinating and interesting to read about, but sometimes I want to shake them until their dispassionate teeth rattle. Stave is the one exception.

Geez, look at their attempts to beat anything with main physical force the first time they run into it...
If you wonder where I'll be in a year,
I'll probably be sittin' right here.
And if you know the answer, don't tell me, anyone
'Cause I don't wanna know...
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Vraith wrote:
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:They have come to the conclusion that using Earthpower will lead to Corruption, regardless of how pure or noble the intentions might be.

On the first: exactly. They DO remember the "goodness," but in the context that no matter how "good," the end is corruption. And they fail to see that without that power wielded for good, the corruption happens anyway, and more easily. [without the Lords...even including Kevin...the entirety of the land would have been wasteland long ago].

On the second...perhaps, it's an interesting thought...but perhaps not, because like the Ranyhyn, the Forestals power is part of what they are in themselves, not a tool/lore they learn to wield. I think. Even Hile doesn't "learn" to be one so much as he is transformed into one.
No difference between the Forestals being Earthpower Incarnate and Anele's inbred Earthpower (Which comes from a Forestal bringing him back to life as a Fetus). And they don't like Anele roaming around free. So, if there were still Forestals, and the Haruchai could, I'd imagine they would try to imprison the Forestals as well.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

sindatur wrote:
Vraith wrote:

No difference between the Forestals being Earthpower Incarnate and Anele's inbred Earthpower (Which comes from a Forestal bringing him back to life as a Fetus). And they don't like Anele roaming around free. So, if there were still Forestals, and the Haruchai could, I'd imagine they would try to imprison the Forestals as well.
That's a good point/strong argument...and I'm sure they would if the Forestals went wandering about trying to teach/recruit/fix things. But I think it makes a difference that Anele was "made" to it as a side effect...and it was a breaking of Law that enabled it.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Re: the Haruchai as Masters

Post by ussusimiel »

rbailey003 wrote:According to their brutal logic, they can accept ruin at the hands of Lord Foul, made easier by the people of the Land being bereft of Earthpower. What they can't accept is ruin at the hands of their friends, people of the land using Earthpower and then succumbing to despair. The former is defeat under a foe, and the latter is grief over a friend.
Thanks rbailey003, this is a great insight! :goodpost:

The Haruchai understand and thus can manage power, even if it is to lose. What they can't understand and handle is the power of their passion. It masters them at every turn. Brilliant!

u.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Vraith wrote:
sindatur wrote:
Vraith wrote: On the first: exactly. They DO remember the "goodness," but in the context that no matter how "good," the end is corruption. And they fail to see that without that power wielded for good, the corruption happens anyway, and more easily. [without the Lords...even including Kevin...the entirety of the land would have been wasteland long ago].

That's a good point/strong argument...and I'm sure they would if the Forestals went wandering about trying to teach/recruit/fix things. But I think it makes a difference that Anele was "made" to it as a side effect...and it was a breaking of Law that enabled it.
Anele isn't attempting any kind of fixing, recruiting or teaching. He's just trying to find his Staff of Law. Although no breaking of Law directly connected Hile Troy too was made into a Forestal
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

The way the Haruchai overreach in their conclusions mirrors the way they have continuously overreacted (such as their responding to Kevin's generosity by swearing the Vow). They never seem to truly know what they do when they make their extravagant decisions and judgments. Poor buggers. :cry:
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

And their failings began when they went off to see the
Spoiler
Vizard.
:P
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”