The King's Justice Discussion CONTAINS SPOILERS

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I can't be completely sure, but I think Rune just gave this story a negative review.
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Cord Hurn wrote:I can't be completely sure, but I think Rune just gave this story a negative review.
I sji sji II I i FJ I i jFIO P09-=n F- J FIE FJPWESKHF J bsf1 u 234u 23
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

JIkj fjds j wrote:
Cord Hurn wrote:I can't be completely sure, but I think Rune just gave this story a negative review.
I sji sji II I i FJ I i jFIO P09-=n F- J FIE FJPWESKHF J bsf1 u 234u 23
I see minus signs, but no plus signs, so it's a negative review, all right.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

It's clear that Rune has been invaded by an intergalactic blob of slime that travelled down a bolt of lightning and inserted itself into his DNA. I believe it is our responsibility as caped crusaders to mount a rescue operation to reach deep into his inner core and effect a rescue: here - someone hold my ankles...........

;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

peter wrote:It's clear that Rune has been invaded by an intergalactic blob of slime that travelled down a bolt of lightning and inserted itself into his DNA. I believe it is our responsibility as caped crusaders to mount a rescue operation to reach deep into his inner core and effect a rescue: here - someone hold my ankles...........

;)
I liked Black; i liked the setting, too; Hopefully SRD will will write a few more stories about Black.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Well, finally got around to reading these. :)

Kings Justice was definitely my favourite of the two. As I mentioned elsewhere, Black seemed sorta like an Insequent, and the world a bit like the world of The Killing Stroke...a big war between two powers, and the ultimate achievement of balance.

The naming convention wasn't too bad mostly, and Black, made specifically for a purpose (and once one of many) was pretty awesome.

Like many of SRD's short stories, it was a bit fairy-taleish, but like most of the ones I like, it hinted at a much bigger and more complicated world that I would have liked to see more of.

Overall, a pleasant experience.

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I'll have to read these two The King's Justice novellas later this year, to see if my opinion of them has changed.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

"Everything you are against weakens you; everything you are for empowers you." - Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

I've recently re-read "The King's Justice", and was reminded of how I like the life-message, the statement of purpose, that closes this story. There is something about it that I find both soothing and practical.
Alone, Jon Marker remains at Black's bedside. The wounded stranger's plight still perplexes his kindness, though he has been relieved by Black's awakening, and by Arbor's recovery, by Rose's generosity, and by the priest's easy spate of talk. He has not repaid his debt. He shifts from foot to foot. Stilted in his courtesy, he asks if Black needs water. He asks if Black can eat. He offers to make soup when he has fired the stove.

Black has no reply. His thoughts go elsewhere. As he regards his host, he considers his purpose in a new light. It is not an unending struggle against such men as Sought and Haul Vardur. It is not measured by his opposition to bullies like Ing Hardiston. It stands at his bedside now. It belongs to men like the priests, to women like Rose, to children like Arbor and lost Tamlin.

When he is well, he will return to the King. He needs his purpose as much as it needs him.
I get the sense that Black will feel more fulfilled in his work from this moment on, and those holes in his soul will no longer be able to get bigger.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Nice observation Cordy :) and arguably the holes in his soul .. might even get filled with his new purpose and perspective

I like your expression .. that you found the ending soothing and practical

I find that quote by Dr Wayne W Dyer incredibly perceptive .. and there is great wisdom in those words imo.

Reading that has made me refocus my approach to the world etc etc .. and I see that the energy in fighting or opposing isnt a generally beneficial investment .. and if one allows one self to step back one can identify a range of costs of said investment. I still see there is value in opposing some things though .. I mean there are some values that are worth standing up for .. but pride isnt a value, nor is it worth fighting for :lol:

However, on the flip side .. investing in causes you believe in and you care about .. and the energy one invests in them .. although takes a toll .. in terms of cost but strengthen you ..

Perhaps this needs more thought .. thank you Cord .. grateful for what you shared.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”