The Gap Into Vision - Forbidden Knowledge 10: Angus [2]

The Gap Into Group Reading

Moderators: Cord Hurn, lucimay

Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

When the order came to have Angus Thermopyle frozen, it arrived by gap courier drone straight from UMCPHQ, tight-beamed to Com-Mine Station Security as soon as the drone resumed tard.
The order was signed by Hashi Lebwohl, director, Data Acquisition, United Mining Companies Police.
Angus had suddenly become a very special prisoner.
But ain't it good to be special? That depends perhaps, but if you're a character in a book by SRD, that's probable to involve lots, lots of suffering and pain, as Angus is about to find out. And not only Angus.
Milos gets questioned on why this happened so suddenly - and why with cryogenic encapsulation. Now that he's so cornered, he even has to answer kind of honestly, how horrible is that? And still he doesn't know yet that this will soon be the least of his troubles
Because he felt he had no choice, Milos risked a degree of honesty. Squirming inside, he replied, "To silence him? Keep him from talking to us?"
The chief intends to buy time and orders Milos to break "that bastard". Angus though persists in his intransigence - one more particularly cool word SRD uses. Angus touchingly stands by the pact he made with Morn, understanding from his circumstances that she hasn't betrayed him - ain't he a sweetheart? Oh wait, he also expects to be killed upon talking. He does feel gratitude for her at least though.
He also deduces that Com-Mine Security now has some kind of a time limit, so waits for it to run out, meanwhile adapting a pose of a beaten man ready for death, fat chance of that impressing the guards after his earlier attempt at same, which ended up with death of one of the guards and nearly an escape - but at this point he doesn't care, he just waits, conserving his strength.
Then it happens, a visitor arrives for Angus. Min Donner herself. She orders switching off the monitors and immediately unnerves Milos, contemplating aloud if the data Com-Mine provided was doctored.
Milos winced. "Do you want to talk about this here - in front of him? I've got a private office." The blotches on his scalp were curiously distinct. "He remembers everything. Don't think he doesn't. He's already trying to figure out how he can use you."
Milos definitely learned to appreciate Angus and his abilities : )
Angus watched with his yellow eyes hooded and kept his malice to himself.
As mentioned earlier, Angus has some lovely eye color.
Min Donner drops a cryptic phrase:
"He's got the right. After what you've put him through, he's got the right. You already have enough advantages. I'm not going to give you another one."
Milos is very much eager to get rid of Angus, causing Min Donner to question why he wasn't handed over earlier.
"If you're in such a hurry, why didn't you comply with Hashi's order?"
Hashi's order. A stun-prod of panic touched Angus' guts. Hashi Lebwohl, DA director, UMCP. Every illegal who ever worked the belt knew Hashi Lebwohl by rumor and reputation.
Ah, reputation! It is such an important thing, especially when just your name causes a person who spent his recent time in prison accepting beatings and interrogation to panic.
Milos explains the situation earlier, as offence taken and thus no cooperation unless forced, to which Min Donner points out that now thanks to Angus forcing it is well possible.
"The Preempt Act," she answered. "How do you suppose we got that passed? Why do you suppose we asked you to help Captain Succorso frame him?" Her tone made no distinction between asked and ordered. "That was the lever we needed - a traitor in Com-Mine Security, somebody who was willing to help a pirate like Captain Succorso steal station supplies. Morn Hyland's accusation that Starmaster was sabotaged here helped, but we needed more. We needed corroboration. When we were able to demonstrate that Security on Com-Mine Station - the station closest to forbidden space -
couldn't be trusted, most of our opposition crumbled."
Milos even questions whether they even cared about the Starmaster, but Donner denies his suspicions, though quite assured that Hyland's accusation was a lie. Which causes Taverner to ask why, what kind of hold he could have on her. But Min Donner just proceeds with what she came for.
"I'm Min Donner," she said, "director, Enforcement Division, United Mining Companies Police."
"From now on, you're going to work for us."
When she said her name, Angus' heart froze. Min Donner. Involuntarily he raised his eyes to her face, and his mouth hung open. Min Donner herself. The woman who sent out Starmaster - the woman they called Warden Dios' "executioner."
Things were bad enough if he was in danger of the death penalty for what he'd done to Morn Hyland. He still had a defense against that. But if the likes of Hashi Lebwohl and Min Donner had taken an interest in him - if he was going to be turned over to them -
"Don't touch me,"
Familiar talk, isn't it?
Angus is not the only one to enjoy a change in his life though.
Now she sounded distantly amused as she said, "Get packed. You're coming with us."
That hit the deputy chief hard. At least Angus wasn't the only one being threatened. Milos was suddenly terrified. All the color dropped out of his face. His mouth shaped words, protests, appeals, but he couldn't make a sound.
Milos must be overjoyed, more time with Angus!
He and Angus stared at and through each other, as horrified together as if they'd just learned that they were brothers.
And so Angus gets dragged into medical for cryogenic encapsulation
Because of the tape, he almost strangled on his own yells when the guards pushed him into a large, sterile room and he realized that it was full of the equipment for cryogenic encapsulation.
The nightmares he'd spent his life fleeing had caught up with him.
Now is Angus going to suffer enough for people to start cheering for him after everything? I do think I've seen some precedent.
A rather more important question though, so who thinks Angus is up to becoming some rather disagreeable ice cream? Not like the UMCP seem to be the guys to ask someone's opinion :twisted:
I have many names... and may play many roles

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Nicely done, Fangthane. Long ago, you claimed this chapter as your own, and long have we anticipated your perspectives.

May we look forward to renewed engagement here on the Watch? You are missed.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Re: The Gap Into Vision - Forbidden Knowledge 10: Angus [2]

Post by Cord Hurn »

Great job, Fangthane, and I appreciate your perspective!
Lord Foul wrote:But ain't it good to be special? That depends perhaps, but if you're a character in a book by SRD, that's probable to involve lots, lots of suffering and pain, as Angus is about to find out.
I think I am enjoying this sort of thing happening to Angus, after all the suffering he has caused Morn.
Because he felt he had no choice, Milos risked a degree of honesty. Squirming inside, he replied, "To silence him? Keep him from talking to us?"
It says a lot about Milos that he tries honesty when he feels he has no choice, doesn't it?
Lord Foul wrote:Then it happens, a visitor arrives for Angus. Min Donner herself. She orders switching off the monitors and immediately unnerves Milos, contemplating aloud if the data Com-Mine provided was doctored.
I like Min's impressive entrance, as her very assured manner sends me the message that she is a force for justice to be reckoned with, as she's someone who is ready to hand any challenge that comes her way. In my opinion, her appearance is the best thing about this chapter!
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Lord Foul wrote:
Angus watched with his yellow eyes hooded and kept his malice to himself.
As mentioned earlier, Angus has some lovely eye color.
I can see why you'd think so, Fangthane! ;) An entertaining comment. :thumbsup:
Lord Foul wrote:Min Donner drops a cryptic phrase:
"He's got the right. After what you've put him through, he's got the right. You already have enough advantages. I'm not going to give you another one."

The comment about "advantages" has always puzzled me, as well.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

While I had learned to loathe Angus because of much of his behavior in the previous book, I find myself feeling a very reluctant admiration for him, for his having some kind of inner strength to endure his imprisonment and torture when hope for him seems nonexistent.
Man for man, he was tougher than anybody who hurt him. And he was accustomed to being ganged up on. He was at his best when he was most afraid. His dread of his own helplessness made him almost superhuman.

Another of his advantages was that he knew how to make his interrogator break into a sweat. The same degraded and costly intelligence which grasped what the sudden increase in his tortures meant--Com-Mine Security had run into an unexpected time limit, and if they didn't break him soon they would lose their chance--also guessed a great deal about Milos Taverner's role in this protracted questioning.

The primary charge against Angus was a fabrication. Prior to his arrest, he'd learned that Nick Succorso had dealings with Security. And of course Nick couldn't have used Station supplies to frame him without Station connivance--without the help of a double agent in Security. Taverner's behavior during the months of interrogation made Angus sure he knew who the double agent was. He had a coward's intuitive hearing: he could tell when the man asking him questions didn't really want answers.

So he clung to his silence, despite the new ferocity of his treatment, and waited for the deputy chief to run out of time.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Forbidden Knowledge 10 - Angus [2]

Post by Cord Hurn »

Lord Foul wrote:Now is Angus going to suffer enough for people to start cheering for him after everything? I do think I've seen some precedent.
A rather more important question though, so who thinks Angus is up to becoming some rather disagreeable ice cream? Not like the UMCP seem to be the guys to ask someone's opinion :twisted:
I can't quite cheer for him yet, but I'm despising him less, Despiser, the more he suffers. Angus somehow manages to "be up to" whatever tribulation is thrown his way, so I suspect he'll be up to becoming some rather "disagreeable ice cream", as well. It will likely frighten him, no doubt, but it probably won't break his spirit.

Return to “Ancillary Documentation”