Is Avenged Sevenfold worth it?

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

danlo
Lord

Is Avenged Sevenfold worth it?

Post by danlo »

In What are you listening to I wrote: I watched the video to Sieze the Day by Avenged Sevenfold (yesterday), and couldn't hang with the storyline. I've heard they are pretty good so I'll have to try something else...I guess.

So, worth a shot at not giving up on them? Any other song you could recommend? Actually it was on some rock show on G4 and the guy was featuring them with some other group and Queens of the Stone Age so maybe Syl, as well as y'all, has some opinion on this group.
fall far and well Pilots!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I know of them, and I'm pretty sure I've heard their stuff, but that's about it. My offhand statement was going to be, "I think it's a lot of screaming and growling." Probably would've been into it when I was younger, but I've steered pretty far away from the more aggro stuff. A buddy of mine on the other side of my cube wall says they're so-so. Mainstream.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

They are part of an over-represented, fashionable genre, but I think Avenged Sevenfold do the best job of it. I'm not a huge fan, but they do have some good songs. Personally, my pick of their songs would be 'Eternal Rest', though my ex-girlfriend liked a song called something like 'I Won't See You Tonight'.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I saw at Wiki that screaming and growling occur--my problem is that like Disturbed, Trapt and, sometimes, Deftones (echos of early Metallica and Godsmack, I guess) I like that. The problem I had with the video is that the guy hooks up with his crew and leaves his pregnant girlfriend to go rob a bank-I'm sure there's some moral to it, I just didn't want to stick around to find out.
Wyldewode
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Wyldewode »

I was thinking that as far as bands like this go, I prefer Disturbed, Godsmack, and even Slipknot, but it seems you like several of these already. I don't dislike Avenged Sevenfold, I just haven't been impressed enough to care.

Sorry to be no help here. ;)

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

danlo wrote:I saw at Wiki that screaming and growling occur--my problem is that like Disturbed, Trapt and, sometimes, Deftones (echos of early Metallica and Godsmack, I guess) I like that. The problem I had with the video is that the guy hooks up with his crew and leaves his pregnant girlfriend to go rob a bank-I'm sure there's some moral to it, I just didn't want to stick around to find out.
For the record, if you're interested in hearing a version of Avenged Sevenfold without screamy/growly bits, try their most recent stuff. The vocalist knackered his vocal chords and had to have surgery, so now it's all tuneful singing for him.

As for the video - just don't watch it. :P I rarely, if ever, watch music videos, so I'm out of the loop on any 'message' they may contain.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

No.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Ouch! (especially coming from the youngster! :P )
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

:D
balon!
Lord

Post by balon! »

Lord Mhoram wrote:No.
Lord, no.
Avatar wrote:But then, the answers provided by your imagination are not only sometimes best, but have the added advantage of being unable to be wrong.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Avenged Sevenfold are sweet like chocolate but only if ya like that kind of music... namely me.
Majority of music videos are rubbish but every artist needs one.
Mysteweave
Giantfriend

Post by Mysteweave »

Avenged Sevenfold are amazing! Their newer stuff is definitely less screamy and more melodic. And they can actually play their instruments.

I saw them live on the 3rd of this month, and they blew me away.
x Covenant x Mordant's Need x Saltheart Foamfollower x

~ “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.”
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

There new stuff is really good(Afterlife is my fav at te moment) but I lmuch prefer theri City of Evil stuff.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I bought the self-titled third(?) album from A7X, and liked it well enough to see them in concert for $27 back in early December of 2007, where they had young heavy metal acts Operator, The Confession, and Black Tide opening for them. The band members' stage names seem like they came up with them on a whim: M. Shadows on vocals, Synyster Gates on lead guitar, Zachy Vengeance on rhythm guitar, Johnny Christ on bass, and The Rev on drums. The accompanying "making of" DVD doesn't make the band look very bright, what with that bit about the lead singer passing gas in the studio while trying to do overdubs. But, I'll give them this: they've definitely got some instrumental chops.

Avenged Sevenfold

Critical Acclaim - Grim-sounding organ music opens this album, but the beginning guitar notes have a dulcet quality that counterbalances the grimness. Then all instruments kick in, and this is now a thrash song until you get to the soothing bridge. then back to rocking hard. It's okay.

Almost Easy - Wistful-feeling guitar starts it off, and then it's heavy metal, slowing down just a bit for a chorus that is acute enough that I can remember it afterwards, and I take that as a good sign. In my mind, Johnny's bass is driving this.

Scream - A better song yet, with spark and crunch in the harmony, and Shadows' vocals are abrasive enough to give his lyrics more emotional force. The song's lively and volatile, with impressive Satriani-like lead lines from Synyster.

Afterlife - Love The Rev's drums; they sound manic, especially on the verses. This is the most melodic singing on the album, so far. The strings are a bit surprising, and I don't think they were needed.

Gunslinger - Some enjoyably peppery picking from guest musician Greg Leisz launches this song, which manages to combine a frowning/gloomy tone with melodic hooks all through the verses, choruses, and all. I like it.

Unbound (The Wild Ride) - Lots of double-bass drum thumping here, so you might like this if you favor that (many times, I do). There's more frenzied bass and guitars, which attaches to the concept of being on a wild ride quite well. I find it odd that a kid sings lead at one point--sometimes that works, but here it seems corny.

Brompton Cocktail - We get some bongo tapping, then another heavy rock treatise, this time about feeling rotten. It segues into a fairly non-prodigious chorus. But it ends strong and doesn't last long enough that I could get tired of it.

Lost - It's energetic and brisk enough that I could like it when I'm in one of my metal moods. But I have to complain about how the vocals get at some points; I don't like that "modern machine" sound used to doctor the vocals.

A Little Piece Of Heaven - Whimsical and melancholy at first, then becoming a thrash-y stomper, and goes on to sound a little bit jazzy, and then...this is sort of six or seven song styles in one song. It manages to annoy and impress me at the same time. But, the annoyance wins out with me, because this goes on too long; sounds overproduced, and ultimately bores me.

Dear God - Sounds like a country-rock song starting out; even has some lap steel guitar by the aforementioned Greg Leisz. The raspier aspect of the singer's voice serves to add to the anxiety in the chorus lyrics. From the song's beginning to its end, I find it catchy and memorable. It's one of their slower songs, but one of their better songs.

I wouldn't drive to another state, or even halfway across Arizona, to go see A7X live, but seeing as I had to drive only about a mile to the concert venue, and they had three other rocking bands with them for that $27 ticket price, I thought it was worth it. They play quite well, but their songwriting can sound generic at times. They're your basic modern-day heavy metal band, and at times that's good enough for me.
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

I have seen them twice now, one as a headliner at Louder Than Life in Louisville about 18 months ago and then once again in Evansville IN this past February.

Synyster Gates is a truly terrific guitar player. He graduated from all of his sweeping tendencies that he had early on and really matured as a musician. Zakky and him are really good together as a duo, especially considering what else is out there currenlly in tandem metal guitar.

Brooks Wackerman took hold of the rotating spot that was left after the Rev passed and is really putting his own spin on the music.

Overall, yeah. I am a fan. I would see them again.
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Let you know after "Welcome to Rockville"
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

Thought they were great, though lead singer was having voice issues from a cold or something. Definately worth going to.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Rawedge Rim wrote:Thought they were great, though lead singer was having voice issues from a cold or something. Definately worth going to.

I appreciate the feedback, Rawedge Rim! Sorry about the singer's voice, though.

I'm glad I saw them once, but I'm usually not much for repeats. I'd see them again if they were touring with some band I've wanted to see, no reservation about that.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

jelerak wrote:Synyster Gates is a truly terrific guitar player. He graduated from all of his sweeping tendencies that he had early on and really matured as a musician. Zakky and him are really good together as a duo, especially considering what else is out there currenlly in tandem metal guitar.
I quite agree that the two of them blend rather well.

Return to “Vespers”