Glorfindel?

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

rusmeister
The Gap Into Spam

Post by rusmeister »

burgs wrote:Ah, perhaps it's my admiration (or misinterpretation) of Gandalf's humility that infects my thoughts.

But it makes me wonder. Saruman, too, was weakened by long corruption (not as long as Sauron), but he, too, was exerting immense will to create and control Isengard's Orcs.

I feel like I'm crossing into D&D territory - but it makes me wonder about Saruman and Gandalf. When Gandalf was chosen as the third to go,
Tolkien wrote: wrote:Varda looked up and said: 'Not as the third'; and Curomo (Saruman) remembered that.
Which to me implies that the humble Olorin, as Gandalf in Middle-earth, merely played his part. Saruman was selected as the leader of those sent to Middle-earth, and Gandalf never had a desire for power or leadership anyway. Though when he pushed for the Istari to assail Dol Guldur, and Saruman counseled against it, I imagine he rethought his role a bit. And we know that he kept his own counsel close after that.
This humility, clearly seen as a virtue - has an explanation/source.
Are y'all aware what Tolkien's faith was -what he believed, and how seriously he took it?
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one." Bill Hingest ("That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis)

"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K. Chesterton
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Too bad Tolkien never wrote about the two blue wizards whom arrived at the Havens. They went into the far east of middle earth and were never heard from again.

In fact he never wrote about any of the Lands in the eastern parts (in any detail) except briefly when the elves first awoke.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Glorfindel?

Post by Lazy Luke »

taraswizard wrote:An elf Glorfindel fought a Balrog in the First Age. Is that the same Glorfindel who went to the Council of Rivendell?
Considering Tolkien transcribed The Lord of the Rings from Frodo and Bilbo's Red Book of Westmarch, it shouldn't really matter if two elfs share the same name (just like Baggins!), as some things can easily be lost in translation.

If he were a she, like Eowyn and the Witch-king of Angmar, Glorfindel might then tell a differant tale from that of the well beaten path.

edit: I'd no idea Glorfindel had prophesized the destruction of the Witch-king, when I posted the above. How odd!

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”