The Magus by John Fowles

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

peter
The Gap Into Spam

The Magus by John Fowles

Post by peter »

Bought a copy of this the other day. Haven't read a word of it yet and know nothing of it other than it involves a man being subjected to the shenanigans of a charlitan and trickster that become more sinister as the novel progresses. Bought it because, firstly I like the title, secondly because I liked the specific paperback edition's cover, thirdly because at one pound it was a steal (if I enjoy it) and fourthly because it is described as 'metafiction', and one of my all time favourite books - The Dictionary of the Khazars - was also (possibly the ultimate) example of the type.

Has anyone read the book? If so can you (without spoilers if poss) give me a clue as to what I might expect (eg the 'feel' of the book, writing style etc) and of course, tell me whether you enjoyed it or not). Anthony Burgess seemed to rate it highly and one imagines his approval would not be lightly given (don't know why this should be the case, but there you have it! ;) )
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “General Literature Discussion”