George R. R. Martin

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

George R. R. Martin

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Just thought I'd post up a place for fans of George R.R. Martin to discuss his books and etc. ASOIAF (A Song of Ice and Fire) is one of the best fantasy epics in my opinion. It is ranked up there in scale withi J.R.R. Tolkien.

One of the main reasons I enjoy the story is that it's not all fantasy based, it is loosely based on the War of Roses in England with all the different feudal familes and lords fighting for power. I also enjoyt he point of view chapter style. Each chapter has a different point of view, be it the King, or the children, or the enemy, etc... It lets you see into the eyes of the characer and get a better feel for who they are.

I also love that many of the characters are flawed, they ahve vices, gambling, sexual addictions, greed, corruption, etc... The bad guys are so real, you can taste their bitterness sometimes.

For those who haven't heard or read this series, if you are into epic, and I mean EPIC fantasy, then pick up this series.

A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast of Crows ( To be Released later this year.....I hope)

The only crappy thing abotu MArtin is how long it takes for each novel to be published. This last one is going on 3-4 years now. I can understand why, b/c there is so mcuh to tell, 10+ story lines as well as the point of view chapter, but wow, it takes forever.

So if you haven't read these books yet, now is a good time, b/c by this fall the new one should be out so if you read the first 3 paperback you can prepare for the next one, this series is so massive that when each new book comes out, you have to re-read to get af eel for the story and the plot lines, but then again its the perfect excuse to re-read these books, something I've done 3 times already, cheers.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

GRRM is one of the best modern fantasy authors IMO.
[Edit - I got a better idea]

Here's some older topics:

Some A Feast for Crows news in here, as well as some general aSoIaF discussion.

Also:
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Thanks for the directional links, still new and still learning the ins and outs of the forum, cheers.
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Heh, welcome to the George R.R. Martin fan club. I think just about everyone on this board is in it, including myself. ;)

I own the first 3 books and am anxiously awaiting Feast For Crows....
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I'm with you, Encryptic. Where the hell is AFFC?
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

The man has revolutionized medieval high fantasy. I would think authors like Goodkind and Jordan and Eddings would read Martin and stagger away in despair.

But if A Feast for Crows doesn't hurry up and get written, I'm going to have to go postal on a certain late fifties, plumpish man who seems to be attending workshops and conventions rather than write. :evil:
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Ya know, that makes me wonder if SRD has any time to write with all the "gradual interview" questions he's been getting. ;)
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

In the meantime if ya'll need a Martin fix, read his great vampire novel, Fevre Dream. Its a good read., filled with vivid characters :)
Love as thou wilt.

FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

His Wild Card Series is a bit odd but intersting and fun. If you haven't read his short stories from teh world of ASOIAF, then go pick up LEGENDS I & II. Cheers.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Oh Wild Cards is awesome. Especially Volume 1. :D

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”