Favorite passages (Too geeky? lol sorry)

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
kaseryn
Bloodguard in Disguise

Post by kaseryn »

Nice nice.. and a great selection there Haruchai :) Two connected quotes are probably among mine..

Ur-lord. Free my people. Their plight is an abomination.

Ur-Lord. You are remembered among the Haruchai. Will you set us free? [WHAT?! Cool as u like, behind bars.. and from.. thousands of years ago?? a gold plated OMG moment .. and so nice to have a link to the past again when all else seemed decayed or lost :) ]
Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

Covenant to my namesake, in the forehall of Revelstone:

"Here you can serve something that isn't going to fail you."
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson
Haruchai
Giantfriend

Post by Haruchai »

kaseryn wrote:Nice nice.. and a great selection there Haruchai :) Two connected quotes are probably among mine..

Ur-lord. Free my people. Their plight is an abomination.

Ur-Lord. You are remembered among the Haruchai. Will you set us free? [WHAT?! Cool as u like, behind bars.. and from.. thousands of years ago?? a gold plated OMG moment .. and so nice to have a link to the past again when all else seemed decayed or lost :) ]
They were two good quotes. 8)
"I see you keep a bee" - Danny Bhoy

"I'll move on when I'm ready to" - Reservoir Dogs

"Their pheremones fizzled like ice cream and lemonade" - Harvie Krumpet
kaseryn
Bloodguard in Disguise

Post by kaseryn »

Cheers man, but cmon.. you would say that wouldn't you ;)
Haruchai
Giantfriend

Post by Haruchai »

Of course. 8) The Haruchai are just too cool. :)

Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Thomas Covenant, ur-Lord and Unbeliever, brave white gold wielder-I desire no other end. Do whatever you must, my friend. I am at Peace. I have beheld a marvelous story.

Ah, Foamfollower!!! :cry: :cry:
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Lament
Woodhelvennin

Post by Lament »

One of my favorite quotes is from the Illearth war when Hile Troy is speaking with Mhoram about TC in the chapter "Forced march"
"Mhoram, don't you resent him, after what he's done?"

Evenly and openly, Lord Mhoram said, "I have no special virtue to make me resent him. One must have strength in order to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty."
To me that is not just a quote but it's a philosophy. IMO it's so profound it made me look at my own values and remember this adage, this axiom for future reference and self behavior.

Inevitably it shows in one swift stroke just how noble and heroic Mhoram, and most of the land's residents are. How mature, altruistic, and profound not just in word but in deed as well. It also shows how unrealistic the characters are in comparison to the real world and the values most people place importance on in modern day society.

Here is more of a bittersweet and sorrowful one.
"Take it. save her." He put the band in Troy's hand.

The touch of the pulsing ring exalted Troy. Clenching his fingers around it, he turned, ran fearlessly to the hillcrest. He searched quickly with his ears, located the direction of Rivenrock, faced the battle. Like a titan, he swung his fist up at the heavens; power flamed from the white gold as if it were answering his passion. In a livid voice, he cried, Elena! Elena!"

Then the tall white singer was at his side. The music took a forbidding note that spread involuntarily stasis like a mist over the Hilltop. Everyone froze, lost the power of movement.

In the stillness, Caerroil Wildwood lifted his gnarled scepter. "No," he trilled, "I cannot permit this.

And of course one of my favorite quotes is in my signature.
Covenant recognized that this was a fact. But he had not expected such an argument from the Giant.
"Foamfollower'" he muttered, climbing out of his bed, "you've been thinking again."
Cate
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cate »

I loved when HL Mhoram told Covenant that he WAS the white gold.....and again that he WAS the wild magic.....made me shiver... ; )
and this from WGW: sorry it's a bit long, but wonderful.......... .Linden said...
"You were wonderful. But how did you do it? I don't have any idea how you did it."
In response, he sighed--an exhalation of weariness and remembered pain, not of rue. "I don't think I did it at all. All I did was WANT. The rest of it---
Caer -Caveral made it possible. Hile Troy." An old longing sufused his tone. "That was the 'necessity' he talked about. Why he had to give his life. It was the only way to open that particular door. So that Hollian could be brought back. And so that I wouldn't be like the rest of the Dead--unable to act. He broke the Law that would've kept me from opposing Foul. Otherwise Iwould've been just a spectator.
"And Foul didn't understand. Maybe he was too far gone. Or maybe he just refused to believe it, but he tried to ignore the paradox. the paradox of White gold. And the paradox of himself. He wanted the white gold--the ring. But I'm the white gold too. He couldn't change that by killing me. When he hit me with my own fire, he did the one thing I couldn't do for myself. He burned the venom away. After that, I was free."
"let the storm of thought spend itself. Presently you will arrive upon a calm sea."......Walter Lanyon
kaseryn
Bloodguard in Disguise

Post by kaseryn »

Ah yep thats deffo one of my fav quotes too Lament.. a lot of truth contained in that short passage.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Unbeliever, I release you. You turn from us to save life in your own world. We will not be undone by such motives. And if darkness should fall upon us, still the beauty of the Land endures - for you will not forget. Go in peace.
My signature, what else. :D Mhoram is so kewl.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

Most of my favourite bits have been quoted already, especially Foamfollower's conversation with TC: 'With one word you will make me weep.' But I've always admired some of the verses in the Second Chronicles, especially the love song of Bahgoon the Unbearable, and the sad little song that Pitchwife sang, which Linden seemed to hear again as she was leaving the Land.

Bahgoon's song reminds me of some of Shakespeare's snarkier sonnets:
My love has eyes which do not glow:
Her loveliness is somewhat formed askew,
With blemishes which number not a few,
And pouting lips o’er teeth not in a row.

Her limbs are doughtier than mine,
And what I do not please to give she takes.
Her hair were better kempt with hoes and rakes.
Her kiss tastes less of diamondraught than brine.

Her odorescence gives me ill:
Her converse is by wit or grace unlit:
Her raiment would become her if it fit.
So think of me with rue: I love her still.
Pitchwife's song makes a perfect counterpoint to Bahgoon's, I think, and is one of SRD's best effects — deeply emotional without being sentimental or treacly:
My heart has rooms that sigh with dust
And ashes in the hearth.
They must be cleaned and blown away
By daylight's breath.
But I cannot essay the task,
For even dust to me is dear;
For dust and ashes still recall,
My love was here.

I know not how to say Farewell,
When Farewell is the word
That stays alone for me to say
Or will be heard.
But I cannot speak out that word
Or ever let my loved one go:
How can I bear it that these rooms
Are empty so?

I sit among the dust and hope
That dust will cover me.
I stir the ashes in the hearth,
Though cold they be.
I cannot bear to close the door,
To seal my loneliness away
While dust and ashes yet remain
Of my love's day.
Cate
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cate »

Farseer, I love those as well.....I use a few lines from Pitchwife's song in my "signature"/ ; )
"let the storm of thought spend itself. Presently you will arrive upon a calm sea."......Walter Lanyon
Haruchai
Giantfriend

Post by Haruchai »

I have my First chrons now, but most of my favourite quotes have already been posted. But this one is one that has always stuck in my mind:

Covenant was about to ask what harm he could possibly do the High Lord, but Bannor forestalled him. 'In this place,' the Bloodguard explained, 'the Lords set aside their burdens. Their staffs they leave here, and within these doors they rest, forgetting the cares of the Land. The High Lord honours you greatly in speaking to you here. Without Staff or guard, she greets you as a friend in her sole private place. Ur-Lord, you are not a foe of the Land. But you give little respect. Respect this.'
He held Covenants gave for a moment as if to enforce his words. Then he went and knocked at the door.

Lord Callindrill
Stonedownor

Post by Lord Callindrill »

The old Warmark's voice was gruff with urgency as he said, "High Lord, this risk will weaken Revelstone. A third of the Warward--two thousand lives wasted. High Lord--why? Have you become like Kevin Landwaster? Do you wish to destroy that which you love?"

"No!" Mhoram whispered because the tightness of his throat blocked any other sound. With his hands, he begged Drinny for strength. "I do not--I do not forget--I am the High Lord. The path of faith is clear. I must follow it--because it is not despair."

"You will teach us despair--if you fail."

Mhoram heard the pain in Quaan's voice, and he compelled himself to answer. He could not refuse Quaan's need; he was too weak, but he could not refuse. "No. Lord Foul teaches despair. It is an easier lesson than courage." Slowly, he turned around, met first Quaan's gaze, then the eyes of the Lords. "An easier lesson," he repeated. "Therefore the counsels of despair and hate can never triumph over Despite."

But his reply only increased Quaan's pain. While knuckles of distress clenched Quaan's open face, he moaned brokenly, "Ah, my Lord. Then why do you delay. Why do you fear?"

"Because I am mortal, weak. The way is only clear--not sure. In my time, I have been a seer and oracle. Now I--I desire a sign. I require to see."

He spoke simply, but almost at once his mortality, his weakness, became too much for him. Tears blurred his vision. The burden was not one that he could bear alone. He opened his arms and was swept into the embrace of the Lords.
For me, this has always been one of the most moving moments in TCTC. One cannot help but feel compassion for this gentle, humane man who, when compelled to sacrifice the lives of so many around him desparately looks for a sign of hope. Nevertheless, he is prepared, as Elena said, to "suffer and die without hope."

A couple more . . .
Despair is an emotion like any other. It is the habit of despair that damns, not the despair itself.
Castigation is a doom that achieves itself. In punishing yourself, you come to merit punishment.
"If we must suffer and die without hope then we will do so, but we will not despair."
Cate
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cate »

Callindrill, that is such a moving quote. There is soooo much in that passage that also relates to life in this present world and makes me realize that althought despair is a strong element (?), it is not the strongest. I particularly like the line you use in your signature. It gives me courage when hope fails.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I don't have TIW in front of me at the moment, but it's something like this:
Covenant: Why are you so weak?

Mhoram: Ah, my friend, I had forgotten that you ask such questions.
Haruchai, I don't remember anyone ever mentioning that moment before, but it's a GREAT one!!!
The way is only clear--not sure.
YES!!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
kaseryn
Bloodguard in Disguise

Post by kaseryn »

Love that castigation one.. Atiaran isnt it, great saying. It's ridiculous how much truth and wisdom he puts into these books.. none of it is ever trite :D
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yes, kas. A teacher once said that if a Bach organ piece had 250 measures, it had 250 virtuoso measures. He didn't write any fluff. SRD neither. Probably not a single sentence that wasn't carefully thought out.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Cheval
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cheval »

"NOM."
How just one word can do so much!

However, my personal favorite is:
"Do not hurt where holding is enough;
do not wound where hurting is enough;