Annotated Chronicles

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Rockbrother
Servant of the Land

Annotated Chronicles

Post by Rockbrother »

On my most recent trip to Barnes and Noble (great cafe-hope my bosses never figure out where I am), I saw a paperback copy of the Dragonlance Chronicles in an annotated version.

That got me to thinking. Not that I want the Man to take time from writing the Third Chronicles, but wouldn't it be great to get a copy of the 1st and 2nd Covenant Chronicles in annotated form?

Maybe some type of anniversary edition? Is twenty-five years this year or next year? Or maybe last year?
Flagg

Post by Flagg »

Hell, DelRey put together a special commerative edition of Brooks version of LOTR...er I mean of Shannara, and Eddings repetitive saga, they without a doubt should do something in tribute to Donaldson, a far more mature, powerful and significant writer.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Whats an annonated book?
LOL, Dont judge me.
Gossamer Glowlimn
Servant of the Land

Post by Gossamer Glowlimn »

Lord Mhoram

I'm glad you asked what annotated means....i haven't a clue either :)

GG
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I'm guessing it's like those Readers Digest condensed books?
Rockbrother
Servant of the Land

Post by Rockbrother »

An annotated version (at least the type I was talking about) is where the author puts crib notes or footnotes into the margin or after chapters, giving his thoughts on scenes, characters, plotlines, etc... as the story moves along.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Ah, I see. Too bad there isnt one...SRD's po would be interesting, and maybe wed be able to identify him on KW...
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

Flagg wrote:Hell, DelRey put together a special commerative edition of Brooks version of LOTR...er I mean of Shannara, and Eddings repetitive saga, they without a doubt should do something in tribute to Donaldson, a far more mature, powerful and significant writer.
Unfortunately, Del Rey is a sad travesty of what it was when it introduced SRD to the world. Both Judy-Lynn and Lester del Rey are dead, the parent company has been bought by Bertelsmann, and the whole outfit now seems to be in the hands of clueless executroids.

Furthermore, SRD is now firmly established with Bantam as his publisher, and though Bantam is also owned by Bertelsmann, it doesn't seem to have a friendly relationship with Del Rey. Who would issue an annotated edition? I could see some nasty turf wars happening.

All that aside, I don't think Del Rey ever really understood what they had in SRD. I've been told by someone who knew Lester del Rey fairly well that he hated the TC books, thought SRD was a dreadful hack writer, but figured it would sell a lot of copies to the 'crypto-Christian market'. If that was the attitude the company's founder had towards one of his top three authors, imagine what his successors think of SRD now that he writes for the competition!

So I'm not at all surprised that nothing like this has been done. Besides, it doesn't seem to be SRD's bag to go over his old books that way.
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by FizbansTalking_Hat »

Hmm, just doing some thread mining and look at what I found buried deep in the forum somplace. I would love to see an annotated version of this series, it'd be brilliant, but I guess the politics that are involved above will not allow such a thing. Ah well, intersting info, thought I'd just bump it up a bit. Cheers.
"...oh my god - there is a nerd stuck beneath my space bar.."
- Jules - 9:34 P.M. Conversation MSN --
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Given the excellent dissection going on in this forum, some people here could almost write their own annotated edition :)
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Whose to say that shouldn't happen. Maybe someone here should take it upon themselves as a fan of the book to write a book devoted to the ins and outs of "The Land", I know I'd pick it up if given the chance. Thoughts?
Durris
Giantfriend

Post by Durris »

Is a serious temptation... 8O
Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased.
--Spider Robinson
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I don't think that SRD would ever support an annotated version of anything, as he often says that he doesn't want to tell readers how to interpret his work.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

if you put the gradual interview alongside the books, you get an annotated version:-)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

I don't think that the annotation is telling someone how to read the book, I think its just a matter of giving some personal insight into the novels, but whatever, it is definately his perogative on whether or not to give that insight, regardless, he's the MAN, cheers.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I have thought once or twice about asking permission to publish our dissection/read-leads on my website, but decided they are more at home here on the Watch.
Variol Farseer wrote:All that aside, I don't think Del Rey ever really understood what they had in SRD. I've been told by someone who knew Lester del Rey fairly well that he hated the TC books, thought SRD was a dreadful hack writer, but figured it would sell a lot of copies to the 'crypto-Christian market'.
Grrrrrr
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Roynish
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Roynish »

Yes well in the market a publishers personal beliefs become subsumed but of course in our historical perspective it all is a little distasteful to hear the personal insights.

It is a deal. I mean do you believe that record executives give a shit about the fodder that gets sacrificed every week on the charts. Wether they are brilliant or not.

Literature is a different beast of course but fundamentals remain.

If Donaldson gets a distribution deal and the person with the power loves it or hates it becomes rather irrelevant. Sure it is nice and comfy that some marketing dude loves fantasy and giants and lords etc but it is a rather minor footnote.

Do the business, the readers do the rest. Art is a co-optive act between the market and creativity. Any artist or musician or writer knows this.....
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Publishing's been a weird gig since Gutenburg, really. Obviously, lots of editors acquire books based on their saleability rather than their literary merit.

Deplorable, maybe--but editors do this because, if they acquire enough books that sell (whether or not they find them personally appealing), their bosses are more likely to say, "Ok, you picked up three crappy books last quarter that sold over 100,000 copies each, you may now go out and acquire a book of literary genius that you love, even if it will only sell 5,000 copies." It's a trade-off.

What makes the Chron's publishing backstory interesting to me is that Lester Del Rey had a work of true literary quality on his hands, but only acquired it because he thought he could sell 100,000 copies to a niche market. Maybe he figured that if he did well with the Chrons, he could then publish something of real genius, like "Nasty Space Vixens in the 28th Century" or something.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
FizbansTalking_Hat
<i>Haruchai</i>

Funny, how even in the book indsustry, the dirty side of politics shows its ugly face.
DrBloodmoney1
Servant of the Land

Post by DrBloodmoney1 »

I really want Del Rey to put out new hardcovers of the 1st/2nd chronicles to celebrate the release of the 3rd. I don't care if they're annotated.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”