The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge 28 - Chapter 19

The Gap Into Group Reading

Moderators: Cord Hurn, lucimay

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge 28 - Chapter 19

Post by Cord Hurn »

Morn awakens from sleep feeling nauseous and clammy as she slowly realizes she is waking up because Nick turned off her zone implant. Nick is complaining that it's taking her too long to respond to her surroundings.
Of course. He thought she was blank with catatonia, not immersed in sleep. He expected to see a difference in her as soon as he switched off her black box.

Even now, while she was dying, she couldn't afford to let him guess the truth. She forced her eyes open.

"That's better," he remarked.

Her eyes refused to focus. They were too sore, too dry. But blinking didn't help. Her eyelids rubbed up and down like sandpaper. The pain in her throat--or the smell--made her feel like gagging. Her mouth stretched wide, but she was too weak to retch; too empty.

"You stink," Nick said like Angus. Exactly like Angus.

He had her zone implant control.

A thin sigh that should have been a wail scraped past her tongue.

"You've been out too long. You're thirsty and hungry, but what you need first is a shower. You smell like you've got five kilos of shit in your suit.

"Here. I'll help you get up."

She felt the g-sheath loosen and pull away as he un-sealed it. Then he took hold of her arms and pried her upright.

The shock of transition would have been strong enough to unhinge her mind, if she'd been strong enough to feel its full force. Fortunately he was helping her in more ways than one. His support got her to her feet--and when he said "shower," she heard "water." Her need for water galvanized her, despite her weakness. Past the blur of his face and the blur of the walls, she fumbled toward the san.

Without touching her, he pulled open the seals of her shipsuit. Then he pushed her into the san and turned on the jets.

Water.

She gulped at it, swallowed as much as she could get into her mouth. The jets sprayed life at her. It filled her eyes, eased her throat; her body seemed to absorb it before it reached her stomach. After a moment so much of it had gone into her shipsuit that its weight pulled the suit off her shoulders. The stained, rank fabric clustered around her boots. Water ran inside her and out; it washed her flesh and her nerves. In a short time, it restored her enough to realize that if she drank too much at once she might make herself sick.

Nick had come back. He'd switched off her zone implant control, thinking he was bringing her out of catatonia.

Captain's Fancy must be done decelerating. She wouldn't have been asleep long enough to get this thirsty and hungry, to foul herself this badly, if the ship hadn't finished braking.

Or something else had happened.

She needed to be awake. She needed food and strength.

Nick's voice reached her through the food and spray. "Don't go to sleep in there. I'm in no mood to wait around"

He didn't sound impatient.
So, Morn removes her boots and shipsuit to shower, and an alarm buzzer warns that her shipsuit is clogging the shower drain. She moves the suit, finishes showering, steps out and dries herself. Then she dons a clean shipsuit that Nick brought for her, and walks to her cabin's main room to find out what has been happening.

Nick tells Morn to sit down and eat while he relates recent events. As she samples the oatmeal and coffee, he tells her they're coming towards Thanatos Minor slowly to accommodate the wishes of the human in charge, a man called the Bill. He explains that the Bill has Thanatos Minor heavily armed and can call in the Amnion if he feels sufficiently threatened, and can also count on assistance from humans doing business with him.
Without transition, as if he were still on the same subject, he said, "Morn, I want you to make love to me. No zone implants, no lies. I want you to show me what you can do when you aren't cheating."

Alarm jolted through her so hard that she dropped her spoon. It clattered on the floor, as loud as if it were breaking.

"If you can make me believe you want me enough," he finished, "I'll let you go."

Oh, shit. So that was it. For an instant she shivered on the verge of weeping.

Then her dismay turned to fury.

Raising her head so that he could see the darkness in her eyes, she said, "In that case, you'd better switch me off right now. You'd better kill me. The idea of touching you makes me want to puke."

For some reason, her vehemence didn't disturb his calm. His gaze met hers and skittered away; returned, fled again. His cheek twitched, and brief hints of blood stained his pale scars. Yet his physical repose remained complete. His smile was soft, almost forgiving. Triumph or defeat had carried him past his doubts.

"Then I'll offer you something else," he said peacefully. "If you'll make love to me with your whole heart--just once, so I can find out what it's like--I'll let you talk to your brat. Hell, I'll let you see him. You can spend the rest of the day just holding his hand."

Davies! she thought in a storm of suppressed dismay and grief. A chance to talk to him, see him--a chance to do what she could to keep him from growing mad--a chance to defend the legacy of her father.

Straight at Nick, she said, "I guess I underestimated you. You're starting to make Angus Thermopyle"--suddenly that name was easy to say--"look pretty good."

For an instant, the small spasm in his cheek turned his smile into a snarl. His tranquility held, however.
Surely Nick is up to something! He produces Morn's zone implant control box from his pocket, explaining he needs it for self-defense now that he knows Morn hates him. Then he toggles the intercom to order Mikka to connect them to Davies' cabin.

Davies quickly asks if Morn's there and what is happening. Morn's afraid to speak, fearing what malice Nick has in mind, but Nick tells Davies he's given Morn permission to talk to her. Davies warns her not to say anything in front of Nick unless she feels it's safe. After Davies insults Nick as being garbage, and Morn warns Davies against further insults, Nick proceeds to tell Davies about what a scummy illegal Angus has been, and what a pathetic zone implant junkie Morn is. When Nick alleges that Morn wouldn't abort Davies only because she didn't want her zone implant discovered by the ship's medical computer, Morn tries to argue. In response, Nick activates her zone implant to make her feel hot, then cold, and then has her gag herself until she pukes.
:fim: :throwup:

Then Nick informs them the Amnion defensive Tranquil Hegemony is blocking their path to Thanatos Minor and Billingate, and that the other Amnion defensive Calm Horizons is coming up fast behind them. He lets them know that he's made a deal to send Davies to Tranquil Hegemony by an escape pod. Then he can get credit for repairs and get his ship fixed up at Billingate in peace. Nick then instructs Mikka via intercom to disconnect communications with Davies, and leaves the cabin while Morn is still gagging. She can't stop gagging herself until he takes the zone implant control out of range.

Here, I confess I start to become tired of the contest between Morn and Nick. Other than the information about what the two Amnion ships are doing, and the plan to send Davies to the Amnion via escape pod, this chapter felt like "filler". You could clip it out of the book and keep the plot quite intact.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Even though I've complained about this chapter being the least-necessary in the Gap, I still want to express some appreciation for the writing skill evident in passages like the following:
Urging her, he pointed at the intercom again.

"Morn?" Davies asked anxiously. "Are you there? What's going on? Is he going to let you talk to me?"

Paralyzed by fear, Morn sat and stared horror at Nick. She couldn't speak--couldn't think. She wanted to fling herself at him, try to kill him; not because she believed she could succeed, but because when he defended himself her despair and dread would come to an end.

Nick raised his voice. "Davies, this is Nick. Morn is with me--we're in her cabin. I've given her permission to talk to you. It's a private channel. Nobody can hear you, except me. But I guess she doesn't trust me.

"Maybe you can reason with her."

Davies--

"Morn," Davies said immediately, "don't trust him. He's up to something." That was his father talking. "Maybe there's something he needs to know, something he thinks you might tell me. Don't say anything unless you're sure it's safe."

He sounded certain, as sure of his judgements as a kid. But he was also lost and lonely, as only a kid could be. As if he couldn't help himself, he asked, "Morn, are you all right? You're all I've got. Don't let anything happen to you."

Oh, my son. It's already happened. Can't you tell that? I just don't know what it is.

Nick went on smiling. "Did you have any trouble during deceleration? I don't know if Liete remembered to warn you. You could have been banged up pretty badly."

"Nobody warned me," Davies snapped back. "You probably told her not to. If I slammed up against a bulkhead and broke my skull, that would solve a lot of problems for you. But I knew something was going to happen when you turned off internal g."

Nothing disturbed Nick. "Good for you.

"How's the state of your memory?" he continued pleasantly. His scars gave little glimpses of malice, which his tone denied. "Have you been able to get past any of the blank spots? Are you starting to remember your father at all?"

"Nick Succorso"--Davies' intensity made the speaker crackle--"you're garbage. You're illegal, and everything you do stinks. I don't have anything to say to you. If you want to ask me questions, come do it in person. Take your chances." Precocious with an adult's mind in a teenager's body, he rasped, "Take them like a man."

"No," Morn breathed, too softly for her son to hear her, "don't provoke him. Don't give him an excuse. All he needs is an excuse."
not because she believed she could succeed, but because when he defended himself her despair and dread would come to an end.
This part of the sentence gives the whole chapter a bit more of a sense of heightened emotional anxiety, and reminds us readers once again that Morn's hold on sanity is tenuous, due to all that she's been through. The alliteration of those sentence clauses are something I find entertaining.

Did you have any trouble during deceleration? I don't know if Liete remembered to warn you. You could have been banged up pretty badly.
I'm sure Nick needs to give the Amnion a living and perfectly whole Davies so that they can do the widest range of tests on him, so Nick really didn't want Davies to be damaged. I think Nick was counting on Davies to be alert to any g changes, and just wanted to cause Davies further stress out of petty malice. Davies is wrong about Nick trying to get him killed, but is probably right in saying that Nick told Liete not to warn him.

don't provoke him. Don't give him an excuse. All he needs is an excuse.
Morn's got it exactly right. As soon as Davies pronounces self-righteous judgement against Nick, it gives Nick the perfect opening to discuss with Davies the shortcomings of his parents.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

...And speaking of discussing the shortcomings of Davies' parents...

Nick's cheek twitched. "You don't mean that, Davies. You think you do, but you don't. You're alone. You've got a mind you don't understand--and a body your mind doesn't fit. You need to know who you are. Where you come from. What you're made of. That means you need to know about your father.

"You've probably got more of your mother in you than you can use, but you're your father's son, too. You need to know about Angus Thermo-pile. There's a lot I can tell you. I've learned a lot about him myself in the past few days."

"Stop," Morn hissed at Nick. "Stop."

"Did you know he's an illegal--one of the worst? Sure you did. You can probably remember that part. He's a pirate and a butcher and a petty thief. Right now, he's serving a life sentence in Com-Mine Station lockup for stealing supplies. They would have given him the death penalty, but they couldn't prove enough of his crimes.

"That may not make you think very highly of your mother. She's a cop. She's supposed to arrest men like Captain Thermo-pile, or kill them, not fuck them until she got pregnant.

"But it wasn't like that. Your mother didn't start fucking illegals until she met me. Before that, she was actually quite innocent. You see, Captain Thermo-pile gave her a zone implant. I'll bet you can remember what that is. After she demolished Starmaster, he rescued her from the wreckage. But she was a cop, so he couldn't trust her. He gave her a zone implant to keep her under control. That's how he got her pregnant.

"It's pathetic story. He turned her on until she would have been willing to suck her insides out with a vacuum hose, and then he fucked her senseless. For weeks, he made her do everything he'd ever dreamed a woman could do.

"That's your father, Davies. That's the kind of man you are."

"Morn?" Davies said as if he were begging. "Morn?"
Nick's explanation to Davies is all the more devastating for Davies because Nick has mostly gotten it right. The only thing potentially untruthful about Nick's statements so far is his assertion that Davies is the same kind of man as Angus, which doesn't have to be the case at all. But Nick's shocking Davies like this can make Davies more susceptible to believing something distasteful.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Morn surged to her feet. "I said, stop it!" Dismay filled her chest, crowded her throat: she could hardly breathe. "That's enough!"

Nick studied her dispassionately, while he went on talking to her son.

"But here's the interesting part of the story. Giving someone a zone implant--an 'unauthorized' zone implant--is a capital crime. Why wasn't your father convicted? If she had a zone implant, he must have had a zone implant control. Why wasn't it found on him when he was arrested? How could he keep her from turning against him, if he didn't have her under control?"

"Nick!"

He overrode her. His smile was sweet with affection.

"The answer is, she'd learned to like it. He'd degraded her so much that she fell in love with it. She wanted it, Davies. Eventually she wanted it so much that he could trust her with her zone implant control. It wasn't found on him because he'd already given it to her. She loved using it on herself.

"So what did she do with it when he was arrested? She didn't turn it over to Com-Mine Security like a good little cop. They would have removed her zone implant--and your father would have been executed. She couldn't do that.

"Oh, I don't think she cared about what happened to him. But she was a zone implant junkie. She couldn't let them take it away from her. So she hid the control and escaped with me. Instead of doing anything a cop should have done, she kept what she loved most." Still his tone held only peace, no malice. "She used it to seduce me so that I would rescue her--not from Captain Thermo-pile, but from Com-Mine Security."

"Morn?" Davies protested.

"All she's done since then," said Nick, "is perfect her addiction."

"Morn?" The intercom gave out hints of anguish.

"Did she tell you she refused to abort you because she wanted to keep you? That isn't strictly true. The only real reason she insisted on keeping you is that she couldn't get an abortion without letting the sickbay test her. It would have recorded her zone implant. If she'd had an abortion, I would have learned the truth about her.

"That's your mother, Davies. That's the kind of woman you came from."

"Davies!" Morn cried. "He's lying! He's got it wrong!"

She did her best to shout, Of course I didn't want him to know about my zone implant! That was the only way I could keep myself alive. With all her strength, she struggled to tell her son, But that's not why I refused an abortion! I refused because i wanted you!
He overrode her. His smile was sweet with affection. Nick's calmness and fake benevolence make his true intentions all the more sinister. Like a pleasant-smelling flower or pleasant tasting-fruit that is poisonous if consumed, so Nick's statements are even more potent for shocking Davies because of the style of false kindness in which they are delivered.

And, as he did in talking about Angus, Nick talks about Morn in a way that is mostly truthful, but with a big lie at the end. Morn didn't fear the sickbay computer recording her pregnancy, for she already knew how to erase its findings. But perhaps Nick didn't know that.

I stand behind my assertion that this is my least favorite FK chapter. Nevertheless, Donaldson's writing still makes for some entertaining reading for me, even here. I suppose that I get some perverse entertainment out of reading how Nick finds a way to twist things. |N
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Nick sounds like quite a guy :lol:
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Geez its getting to the nitty gritty now. Theres no redemption arc for Succorso now.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Yeah it is written well .. no doubt there at all .. but it is the narrative of coldness and absolute cruelty that I wish didnt form part of it. Though it wouldnt be what it is without it I suppose.

I agree with your observation that the story could satisfactorily continue without it .. but we get the opportunity to see Nicks colours and galvanise our loathing of h .. and it assists to a degree with changing our appreciation of other characters.

Ive not found anything endearing about Succorso. Oh Morn .. its all such a travesty .. hence its parallel to the Ring Cycle. 😔

On the other hand I understand Nicks need. I think thats very real .. what he experienced with Morn reinforced his very egoistic perspective... which he has MADE his reality. Being truly deeply wanted, desired and in actuality genuinely loved by a woman any woman is foreign to his reality.

To men such as Nick its the betrayal of faking an orgasm .. or of any other visceral pretence. This cut deep. Of course a rational human would have seen rationally but Nicks narcissism wilfully prevents him from seeing that dynamic through eyes of reason.

What he sees Morn has done consolidates his established bias of women. He means to hurt her .. for that. Hurt as many as he can for that perceived betrayal.

For Morn it WAS survival .. and Nick like thousands of narcissists before him .. would not permit himself to understand that.

Had it become an addiction for Morn? Is that truly why she didnt hand over the implant control? I forget now .. with the time that intervened between chapters 🤔🤔
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Lazy Luke wrote:Nick sounds like quite a guy :lol:

You probably wouldn't want to turn your back on him, Luke! :luke:
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Skyweir wrote:Geez its getting to the nitty gritty now. Theres no redemption arc for Succorso now.
Yeah, Nick's stolen and he's killed, but until now he's never sold a human to the Amnion. He is definitely crossing a line.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Skyweir wrote:I've not found anything endearing about Succorso. Oh Morn .. its all such a travesty .. hence its parallel to the Ring Cycle. 😔

On the other hand I understand Nicks need. I think thats very real .. what he experienced with Morn reinforced his very egoistic perspective... which he has MADE his reality. Being truly deeply wanted, desired and in actuality genuinely loved by a woman any woman is foreign to his reality.

To men such as Nick its the betrayal of faking an orgasm .. or of any other visceral pretence. This cut deep. Of course a rational human would have seen rationally but Nicks narcissism wilfully prevents him from seeing that dynamic through eyes of reason.

What he sees Morn has done consolidates his established bias of women. He means to hurt her .. for that. Hurt as many as he can for that perceived betrayal.

For Morn it WAS survival .. and Nick like thousands of narcissists before him .. would not permit himself to understand that.

Had it become an addiction for Morn? Is that truly why she didnt hand over the implant control? I forget now .. with the time that intervened between chapters 🤔🤔
I basically agree with all of this. Nick's narcissism was validated by Morn's passionate reaction to him under the zone implant's influence, and it's a betrayal to him to find out her reaction is fake. He does indeed want to hurt her for that, by selling off Davies.

As for Morn, I think it HAD become an addiction for her, which is why she accepted Angus' offer of the control box instead of letting him be caught with it and executed.
Last edited by Cord Hurn on Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Well Im kinda disappointed if it had. But I cant appreciate the experience the zone implant facilitates. Youd think she would want it out so that she would be free of it.

SRD hasnt really elaborated on its addictive potential .. or maybe my memory simply had forgotten 🤷‍♀️

Its interesting isnt it that Angus is a man consumed with self loathing .. such a contrast. 🤔
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “Ancillary Documentation”