How Do You Pronounce Belleger?

Book Two of The Great God's War trilogy

Moderator: Savor Dam

Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

How Do You Pronounce Belleger?

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

When I started the first book, I was pronouncing it Bell-Uh-Grr, until I got to the part where Bifalt was called a belligerent Belleger by the librarian. Then I switched to pronouncing it Bell-idge-err. But, I switched to Buh-League-Err after the chapter in the Beleaguered Eagle in book two. It's kind of an annoying name for a country to read over and over again, but I will probably stick with the latter pronunciation unless SRD pulls something else out in the third book. Anyway, how do you pronounce it, lol?

On a similar note, is Amika short for Amicable, or for Amerika? Or something else?
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I've considered Belleger and Amika to be cognates of belligerent and amicable, so I've mentally pronounced them accordingly.

For a more definitive answer, you might want to get the audiobook. Scott Brick (AudioCovenant here on the Watch) is a masterful narrator and always does his homework on pronunciations for his readings of Donaldson's works.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Savor Dam wrote:I've considered Belleger and Amika to be cognates of belligerent and amicable, so I've mentally pronounced them accordingly.
Likewise.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

As someone who has read David Eddings more than once, I must confess that I find myself calling them Bellgar, and Bellgarions!
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

I'm dying to wade in to the 4 (why so few?) or so threads on the Great God's War - I have literally one chapter to go and I have been reeeeeally pleasantly surprised by just how much I've enjoyed the War Within, particularly after being a bit so-so on the Seventh Decimate.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Savor Dam wrote:I've considered Belleger and Amika to be cognates of belligerent and amicable, so I've mentally pronounced them accordingly.
Same.
The King has one more move.

Return to “The War Within”