President Trump

Archive From The 'Tank
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Brinn wrote:Just a simple question here: Which of the following statements is more likely in your opinion:

1. Trump believed that withholding aid would benefit his personal interests and damage a political enemy.

2. Trump believed that withholding aid advanced the interests of the US as a nation.

To answer my own question: I believe it is a near certainty that Trump was focused on damaging a political enemy and improving his chances at reelection and had little to no concern about the geopolitics of Ukraine or the effect that withholding military assistance would have.
I think that this is something of a false choice.

Ukraine is owed no aid. Trump has given aid to Ukraine that Obama never did. In fact, Obama gave away Crimea. The Ukrainian government has flatly stated that they felt no pressure from Trump to do anything.

So for me, I can't ascribe malice on Trump's part without making several assumptions which I'm not going to make. To date, no evidence has been presented that Trump did anything wrong with regards to Ukrainian aid, but there's ample evidence that Trump cares more about Ukrainian geopolitics than his predecessor.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Skyweir wrote:The Constitution, rules of office and laws exist to safeguard against acts of bribery and extortion ...

The Constitution et al exist to make bribery and extortion and abuse of office an impeachable offence.
Oh, for the love of-- *sigh* Seriously? There. Is. No. Bribery. or. Extortion. Period. You have bought in to the latest Democrat talking point, the one they jumped to after the focus groups found that "bribery" sounded worse than "quid pro quo".

If, on the other hand, Democrats think Trump committed bribery then they should fucking accuse him of it or, I don't know, actually impeach him for it and try to prove their case. They won't be able to, of course, and then the Senate will vote not to remove him from office...and then what? Back to trying to hunt for another impeachable offense?

I, for one, don't give a rat's ass what anyone else in the world thinks of us. I don't care what my actual, physical neighbors think of me so why would I care what some other nation thinks of the United States? If nation A doesn't like us then we should just cut off any and all aid of any sort to them, not trade with them, and let's see how long their negative opinion holds up. "You should care what others think of you" is a weak argument.

I may disagree with Zarathustra on some points but at least he sticks to his position.

I have to concur with Obi-Wan Nihilo on Ukraine. Obama sat on his lazy ass and did nothing while Putin took Crimea. As I have said before, Trump may in some way be Putin's friend but Obama was Putin's bitch.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but Democrats are more upset over one diplomat to Ukraine being fired than they were about the four who got killed in Benghazi. Remember "what does it matter?".

Today is 16 Nov 2019 and Trump still hasn't been impeached yet. I hope everyone is ready for the actual impeachment to hit just about the same time as Christmas. Oh...and just so you know....because of all these impeachment inquiries we are about one week away from another government shutdown because the House has not passed a budget resolution. Just an FYI.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Zar wrote:You are arguing by caricature. Just because Trump has some characteristics that are easy to lampoon doesn't mean that you can conclude that what has happened with Ukraine is a symptom of these things you don't like about him. It's the laziest kind of reasoning there is. It's like an argument from the View. A bunch gossip and assumption.
It's not solely these characteristics that lead to my conclusion but rather the weight of the evidence presented (including Trump's own words as well as Mulvaney's) which, in turn, are given further credence by his innate traits and characteristics
Zar wrote:Let me illustrate the problem logically: suppose it wasn't Trump who wanted the Biden thing investigated, but instead it was the Democrats. Maybe their critics would argue that the Dems were only worried that his questionable dealings would be a detriment to their electoral hopes in 2020 and the Dems were trying to boot him out of the race for their own political benefit, but they claim they were honestly pursuing justice, and the fact that they are willing to prosecute one of their own proves their pure motives.

Would it be an abuse of power for the Dems to have investigated Biden? What if they were the ones to hold up aid for this purpose?
The answer to this question would depend entirely on the method that they employ to withhold the aid. If the aid was withheld via unofficial backchannels after that same aid had already been congressionally approved than yes it would constitute an abuse of power. If it was done in in accordance with congressional procedures via vote then it would not be.
Zar wrote:If the answer is yes, it's an abuse of power for the Dems to do this, we're left with the absurd conclusion that Biden is above the law, because neither the Dems nor Trump (or by association, the Reps) can investigate him! If the answer is no, it's not an abuse of power, this means that withholding aid and demanding an investigation is only wrong depending on who does it (even though there are political ramifications for each). So we're left with either an absurd stalemate, or a contradiction. If right and wrong changes depending on who is doing the act, then we're not really talking about right and wrong. It's just an argument of political opportunism, one particularly tailored to attack Trump, based--ADMITTEDLY!--on his personal characteristics which are factoring into your interpretation of the events. So, because he has these things which you don't like about him, you hold him to a higher standard such that he could not do acts that his political rivals could get away with, without being impeached.

That's bullshit, all the way around.
I understand your exasperation as I feel that you are completely missing the crux of the issue. This is not a question that pivots upon the who but rather the what. As I succinctly described above, the question of abuse of power is not a question of of whether it's OK to investigate Biden or not. Investigate him all you want. Let Trump, the republicans, the democrats, the supreme court and the Boy Scouts of America investigate him. However, the investigation should be done in accordance with the laws of the US and within the bounds of the power granted by the constitution and not via the withholding of congressionally approved aid.
Zar wrote:I'm not providing him the benefit of the doubt. Man, it's like you're not even reading my posts. I said that I have no problem with him withholding aid, even if it's for the reasons you suspect. That's not the benefit of the doubt that his motives are purely altruistic. It's me having a different standard than you. I don't care if he uses his position to go after Joe. He's the President. Every president, just as every Congressman, uses their position for personal gain. Since his personal gain in this case means defeating the Dems, I'm all for it. It's no different from Obama using his presidential power to personally ask Ukraine to investigate Paul Manafort in 2016, or, for that matter, the Dems using their power to investigate Trump.
This is a good summary. It appears that we do have different standards. I prefer that no president, congressperson or other politician use the power of their office to advance their own personal interests without regard for national security. Much that Trump is doing is setting precedents that will come back to bite conservatives once the pendulum inevitably swings the other way. You seem to make a case that we cannot conclusively prove Trumps intent and that even if we could know his true intent that the end justifies the means. You may be correct on the first but I disagree with the second.
Zar wrote:I didn't say that at all! Seriously, man, if you're going to criticize what I say, then I insist that you read what I say. You cut off my point mid-sentence when you quoted it (in a previous post) to say how surprised you were. The rest of my sentence didn't say anything about the security of the country. It said that I doubt he withheld aid to pressure Ukraine because the Ukrainian government reported that they didn't even know the aid was withheld. My argument wasn't based on my guess of his motives or a caricature I've constructed. It was based on the facts. You can't have pressure when the people you're trying to pressure don't know about the pressure. It's makes no freaking sense. Explain that in "Trump has bad qualities" terms. You can't.
I apologize for cutting the quote at that point. My simple question was an attempt to get you to consider Trump's motives for withholding aid. His motive is key as it moves the act from the realm of stupid mistake to attempted extortion. If he was truly concerned with ending corruption in Ukraine then I would be more amenable to chalking up the withholding of aid as an innocent mistake. If his motive was to discredit his primary political opponent via back channel deals than I have a problem.

I don't see the relevance of whether Ukraine knew about the withholding of aid or not. The aid was, IN FACT, withheld. The plan was in place. It seems that you're focused on the outcome rather than the motivation or intent. Once the quid pro quo was broadly revealed and people started asking questions, the aid was released.
Zar wrote:Is this an attempt to shame me into conformity with the group? I'm not sure what you're doing with this question. Argument by groupthink?
Not at all. It goes back to my attempt to get you to tell me what you think Trump's primary motive was. It seemed that you were hesitant to answer the question as answering it gets to the root of the motivation issue. I was merely pointing out that it's not difficult to admit that his intentions were, more probably than not, self-serving as others that share your larger perspective had no problem in answering the question directly. Sure it's a hypothetical that calls for speculation. Sure it posits two motivations that are at the extremes of the spectrum. But I still think it's a fair question as it's merely asking for an opinion on which is more likely.
Zar wrote:I take pride in being an original thinker who can stand on his own. After all, I was the first and only person here for a long while that predicted Trump would win the nomination and then the Presidency. I'm perfectly fine with my track record and have no problem being at odds with others. I don't think it's odd at all. I think you guys need to catch up. LOL.
Fair enough. Again, I'll reiterate that the precedents being established under this administration are going to bite the country in the ass once the tide turns.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Brinn wrote:The answer to this question would depend entirely on the method that they employ to withhold the aid. If the aid was withheld via unofficial backchannels after that same aid had already been congressionally approved than yes it would constitute an abuse of power. If it was done in in accordance with congressional procedures via vote then it would not be.
Why does the method matter? I can sympathize with Trump using unofficial backchannels--i.e. people whom he can trust--when his administration is rife with leakers and people trying to sabotage his presidency, especially his Ukrainian foreign policy (in the case of this particular whistleblower, who was not happy with the President's vision for Ukraine, long before the Biden stuff).
However, the investigation should be done in accordance with the laws of the US and within the bounds of the power granted by the constitution . . .
Why would a Ukrainian investigation have to conform to US laws?
. . . and not via the withholding of congressionally approved aid.
Why not? Are there laws against the President withholding aid?
You seem to make a case that . . . even if we could know his true intent that the end justifies the means.
Not really. I don't think the means need justification at all. No one has shown why withholding aid to get what you want is wrong.
His motive is key as it moves the act from the realm of stupid mistake to attempted extortion.
That's an exaggeration. Extortion involves violence or a threat of harm, not withholding aid. Why are these other words like "extortion" necessary to describe the act? Why can't it simply be referred to as what it is: withholding aid? If it isn't wrong on its own, with its own connotations, you can't make it wrong by calling it something else that it's not.
If his motive was to discredit his primary political opponent via back channel deals than I have a problem.
Withholding aid isn't wrong. Trying to discredit one's opponent isn't wrong. I don't think these two things add up to a wrong when combined together. We like to say that "two wrongs don't make a right," but when have two rights ever made a wrong?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Brinn wrote:
Zar wrote:Granted, you are consistent in criticizing both. But if you truly believe Biden may have done something wrong, then why would it be wrong for Trump to want it investigated?
It would seem obvious to me that, taken at face value, your argument would boil down to the President investigating the withholding of aid via... the threat of withholding aid! That doesn't seem odd to you? Could the next president then investigate Trump for withholding aid?

I can understand that you view Trump as the enemy of your enemy but you aren't in any way concerned with the normalization of bald-faced lying, or his foreign policy by personal whimsey and cable TV, or him surrounding himself with sycophants, yes-men and family members?!?! He is a dullard with zero integrity. Even worse, he's a dullard who thinks he's a "very stable genius" with a "very good brain" which is even more dangerous. The "R" next to his name on the ticket isn't enough for me to get behind him. If this guy was a Democrat (which he was) I'd be crucifying him. Can't we expect more of our leaders?!?!
I wonder if there are in fact many Republicans that are concerned about the precedent such actions by Trump, Giuliani and Barr are setting .. that you are.

Thank you for all of your recent posts. Your rationale and considered approach is praiseworthy. Respect ✊
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Zar wrote:
Brinn wrote:The answer to this question would depend entirely on the method that they employ to withhold the aid. If the aid was withheld via unofficial backchannels after that same aid had already been congressionally approved than yes it would constitute an abuse of power. If it was done in in accordance with congressional procedures via vote then it would not be.

Why does the method matter? I can sympathize with Trump using unofficial backchannels--i.e. people whom he can trust--when his administration is rife with leakers and people trying to sabotage his presidency, especially his Ukrainian foreign policy (in the case of this particular whistleblower, who was not happy with the President's vision for Ukraine, long before the Biden stuff).
It matters because the laws of the US and the delineation of powers as enshrined in the constitution outline the specific methods that must be followed to withhold congressionally approved aid.
Zar wrote:
Brinn wrote:However, the investigation should be done in accordance with the laws of the US and within the bounds of the power granted by the constitution . . .

Why would a Ukrainian investigation have to conform to US laws?
The Ukranian investigation would not have to conform to US laws. The process for withholding previously approved aid would need to conform to US law.
Zar wrote:
Brinn wrote:. . . and not via the withholding of congressionally approved aid.

Why not? Are there laws against the President withholding aid?
Yes there are.

The Role of OMB in Withholding Ukranian Aid

Within these bounds, the White House OMB has some discretion to determine when congressional money can be released to an agency and spent. But this discretion is limited to ensuring that congressional funding lasts for the allotted time and that the money is spent appropriately.

The White House's discretion is granted and limited through the president's "apportionment power" and "deferral power," or the ability to limit spending for brief periods if the budget is at risk of not lasting the fiscal year.
The president subsequently delegates both these responsibilities to OMB. Usually, plans or instructions for an agency's budget are detailed by OMB Circular A-11, a standard White House document. (An example of one is here.) Once Congress has allocated this money, career OMB employees, and not political appointees, normally review and approve each agency's planned post-appropriation spending.

OMB is prohibited from using its "apportionment power" to determine or set an executive agency's policy. OMB can only use its authority to ensure a congressional law is appropriately executed, and the money allocated for that law typically lasts through the fiscal year unless the money is made available for obligation over a longer period.

In particular, 31 U.S.C 1512(c)(1) states that OMB can use its apportionment or reapportionment power only:
(A) to provide for contingencies;
(B) to achieve savings made possible by or through changes in requirements or greater efficiency of operations; or
(C) as specifically provided by law.

Thus, OMB is limited to requiring an agency to provide details on how it plans to spend its apportioned funds. This could entail asking an agency to write a specific timeline; detail activities, projects or objectives; or require the agency to reserve money as contingency funds for other operations linked to that overall initiative.

The 1974 Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act (ICA)-written in the wake of President Nixon's attempt to exert greater control over the budget-extends this reasoning to OMB's deferral power, or the ability to withhold congressionally mandated money from an executive agency for a period of time. As a routine matter, these types of deferrals do not last longer than 45 days. 2 U.S.C 682(1), defines a "deferral" as:
(A) withholding or delaying the obligation or expenditure of budget authority (whether by establishing reserves or otherwise) provided for projects or activities; or
(B) any other type of Executive action or inaction which effectively precludes the obligation or expenditure of budget authority, including authority to obligate by contract in advance of appropriations as specifically authorized by law

Part of the ICA (2 U.S.C 684) mirrors 31 U.S.C 1512 and states that, like apportionments, "deferrals shall be permissible only:"
(1) to provide for contingencies;
(2) to achieve savings made possible by or through changes in requirements or greater efficiency of operations; or
(3) as specifically provided by law.
This section also clearly states that "[n]o officer or employee of the United States may defer any budget authority for any other purpose."

If OMB believes that all or part of a budget is not required to resource a program or if the president decides that a program is no longer in the best interests of the United States, the ICA requires the White House to write a message to Congress (2 U.S.C. 683(a)) stating:
(1) the amount of budget authority which he proposes to be rescinded or which is to be so reserved;
(2) any account, department, or establishment of the Government to which such budget authority is available for obligation, and the specific project or governmental functions involved;
(3) the reasons why the budget authority should be rescinded or is to be so reserved;
(4) to the maximum extent practicable, the estimated fiscal, economic, and budgetary effect of the proposed rescission or of the reservation; and
(5) all facts, circumstances, and considerations relating to or bearing upon the proposed rescission or the reservation and the decision to effect the proposed rescission or the reservation, and to the maximum extent practicable, the estimated effect of the proposed rescission or the reservation upon the objects, purposes, and programs for which the budget authority is provided.

Additionally, 683(b) requires that the allocated money be spent for its originally designated purpose unless Congress passes a bill rescinding the funding within 45 days after the president's message.

OMB's Decision to Conduct a Prolonged Review of Ukrainian Aid
When the Department of Defense and the State Department first requested 2019 foreign aid for Ukraine (here and here, respectively), OMB presumably approved these requests. Congress then gave both these agencies the requisite funding through two appropriations bills. In June, both agencies informed OMB that they intended to spend this congressionally allotted money, but OMB put the money on hold until the White House approved the funds months later, on Sept. 11.

Before the whistleblower complaint and the notes from Trump's call with Zelensky were released, this timing perplexed Congress. Politico's coverage of OMB's delay suggests the Ukrainian funds were upheld as part of a larger White House initiative to review and cut "unnecessary" foreign assistance. This policy placed Trump in direct conflict with Senate Republicans, who saw the Ukrainian aid as vital to national security and thought the president was trying to circumvent Congress's spending power.

OMB might have had the ability to withhold this aid if the White House had provided Congress with a message meeting the ICA's requirements. But no message appears to have been sent. Furthermore, the aid from both Defense and State was held long past the mandated 45-day period and in apparent contravention of his powers defined by 31 U.S.C 1512. The president and OMB did ultimately release the $250 million in aid from the Defense Department (on Sept. 11) and the $141 million from the State Department (around the same date). Whether there is some good legal or other explanation for the long delay in releasing the money is a question that lacks a clear answer, and that might remain unanswered indefinitely if Congress cannot get its hands on the requested documents.

The documents that are required to meet the requirements of the law have not been provided to date. The House subpoenaed the documents however the acting Director of OMB, Russell Vought, has indicated that he would not comply with the subpoena. If these documents were in existence, don't you think it would be much easier for the OMB to simply produce them and put this whole issue to bed?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Brinn wrote: The documents that are required to meet the requirements of the law have not been provided to date. The House subpoenaed the documents however the acting Director of OMB, Russell Vought, has indicated that he would not comply with the subpoena. If these documents were in existence, don't you think it would be much easier for the OMB to simply produce them and put this whole issue to bed?
So it all boils down to Trump should be impeached because people under him in the OMB didn't file the proper paperwork?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Zar wrote:So it all boils down to Trump should be impeached because people under him in the OMB didn't file the proper paperwork?
And you were previously exasperated at me for supposedly not reading your arguments?!?! This reply is merely reductio ad absurdum and is also one of the very laziest kinds of argumentation there is. :wink:

I think your smart enough to understand that my argument is not that Trump deserves impeachment because his subordinates didn't file the right paperwork. Ask yourself why this paperwork might not have been filed? I'm sure you can imagine any number of reasons why this might happen; Knowing that you're unwilling to allow Mr. Trumps well established penchant for lying, opportunism and relentless self-concern to color your opinion, you may imagine many reasons why; Absentmindedness, paperwork getting lost in the interoffice mail, didn't have a pen that worked at the time, dog ate the documents etc...

In my humble, yet possibly jaded, opinion, the actual reason is probably closer to the following: Trump wanted to get the investigation into Biden started and wanted to use the aid as leverage. He was probably made aware that he would have to notify congress if he wanted to legally withhold the aid and may have realized that Congress might not be so keen on the idea. So, instead of going through the proper legal channels, he decided to get what he wanted through non-standard back channels with the hope that the back-channel dealing either wouldn't be exposed or that his political cronies would be able to provide him with sufficient cover or at least plausible deniability. Unfortunately for Trump, the first didn't happen and the second appears to be splintering.

So, when confronted with a House subpoena asking for the non-existent legal documentation, the Assistant Director of the OMB refuses the request because, "What documentation??!?!" would probably have been slightly more damning.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Any of that seems minor to what other Presidents have done. An interesting read if you have time.

https://historycollection.co/these-amer ... -power/17/
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

SoulBiter wrote:Any of that seems minor to what other Presidents have done.
I read all twenty examples. With the exception of the final one (LBJ using the FBI and CIA for political advantage in 1964) and the not-included-but-incredibly-similar tale of Watergate, none of these seem to bear on abuse of power for partisan advantage in an election, the appearance of which is definitely an aspect of the current situation.
SoulBiter wrote:An interesting read if you have time.
Actually not that lengthy a read...but yes, it takes a long time because the website has too darn many imbedded adverts, which take far too long to load. This means substantial scrolling delays, which I found rather frustrating.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Hashi bribery is an impeachable offence ... Pelosi has already announced the investigation is into what they now consider bribery.

When investigating a matter as is being looked into here ... you start with an allegation ... and as you dig into the matter the applicable offences become clear.

This IS actual BAU.

No offences will be levelled till sufficient evidence of the actual wrong doing is established.

Once an offence is settled upon .. a vote and then a trial will occur in which Trump can answer whatever those charges are.

Was pressure applied? The aid was withheld. Was it going to be released? Only with the Ukrainians ponying up dirt.

Was their dirt? Any wrong doing that occurred in Ukraine will rest entirely upon that jurisdiction and Ukraine law.

Is corruption wrong? Yes absolutely. Was there anti corruption policy supported by the US? Yes and the person with established anti corruption effectiveness was Ivanovich. Why would such an effective anti corruption asset be removed from the Ukraine at the admins behest if anti corruption was the administrations intent?

Now thats imv a damn good question.

Is there evidence of Trump engaging in bribery? Certainly looks that way. Not just from the released call record, but now we know that there have been multiple contacts with Ukraine re their compliance with Giulianis plan to get dirt of the Bidens.

And of course what we have learned from Sondland and his aide, Holmes input re Sondland. Sondland sole interest was facilitating the acquisition of dirt on Biden. Not looking BAU at all.

In fact not looking particularly good for anyone in the Trump admin.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

The Dems realize their Ukraine "quid pro quo" nonsense was a flaccid dick, so now they are going for "bribery?"

Really? How fucking pathetic. As far as I am concerned, this conversation is over.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

No Nano its the self same allegation .. but instead of the innocuous quid pro quo term loosely flip flopping about they have narrowed their focus to describing the actual impeachable offence.

Its no different to setting aside the term collusion which has no significance in legal terms and moving forward with conspiracy as the focus.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Man I just hate discussing the self-same issue in two simultaneous threads. However, that's probably inevitable with this one, so here goes.

Let me explain exactly why this impeachment enquiry is going to turn out to be - as Pubs claim - another "nothingburger".

First off, as I am on record as stating, I firmly believe that Trump's motivation was solely to see if he could get dirt on Biden, a perceived political rival. I also believe that the with-holding of aid was used by Trump as leverage to get Ukraine to do that self-interested digging.

Those are my beliefs - and if they are provable, then that would in my view constitute impeachable bribery or coercion. As Sky has said:-
Skyweir wrote:Hashi bribery is an impeachable offence ... Pelosi has already announced the investigation is into what they now consider bribery.

No Nano its the self same allegation .. but instead of the innocuous quid pro quo term loosely flip flopping about they have narrowed their focus to describing the actual impeachable offence.

Its no different to setting aside the term collusion which has no significance in legal terms and moving forward with conspiracy as the focus.
I agree with this.

Now Zee has pointed out that powerful countries like the US use "bribery and/or coercion" - i.e. the provision or not of foreign aid as one example - all the time in order to get other states to act in a preferred way. And that's both true and absolutely fine... but where it crosses into the realms of impeachability IMV is if said leverage is applied solely and primarily in order to benefit the personal interests of the POTUS.

HOWEVER - and here's the point - no matter what I personally may believe and however firmly I may believe it, I equally strongly believe that this is NOT going to be provable.

I've said this already in the Impeachment thread - but I'll say it again here.

George Kent, a witness called by the Impeachment enquiry to support grounds for impeachment gave the following evidence to that enquiry:-
George Kent, deputy assistant secretary at the State Department under the Obama admin, last week at the Impeachment Enquiry wrote:"To summarize, we thought that Mykola Zlochevsky had stolen money," Kent said of the oligarch head of Burisma. "We thought a prosecutor had taken a bribe to shut the case, those were our main concerns."

"Are you in favor of that matter being fully investigated and prosecuted?" asked Steve Castor, Republicans' counsel on the House Intelligence Committee.

"I think since U.S. taxpayer dollars were wasted, I would love to see the Ukrainian prosecutor's office find out who the corrupt prosecutor was and who took the bribe, and how much was paid, and that's what I told the deputy prosecutor general on February 3, 2015," Kent replied.

When asked if he thought individuals or organizations responsible for the bribes should be prosecuted, Kent replied, "I agree that the Ukrainian law authorities should uphold the rule of law and hold people accountable for breaking Ukrainian law."

So...

What we have here being placed on the record are the following:-

1. Some time prior to 2015, so under the Obama administration, US taxpayers' dollars were misappropriated or wasted in the Burisma affair. Don't ask me how they were wasted or who stole them (almost certainly Zlochevsky the then Burisma CEO) - but it's now on record that they were.

2. As Kent clearly testifies, the State Department's belief back then was that, prior to 2015, the Ukrainian prosecutor had unjustifiably shut down the Ukrainian investigation into the Burisma affair. The State Department had "main concerns", both about the missing US dollars and corruption on the part of the Ukrainian prosecutor in charge of the original Burisma investigation. As stated by Kent, It strongly suspected he had been "bribed" to close off the investigation by parties unknown.

3. Kent - who was don't forget a high-ranking State Department official under the Obama administration and a witness called by the Impeachment enquiry to support grounds for impeachment - then specifically goes out of his way to state that he would "love to see" the Ukrainian investigation into Burisma and the allegedly corrupt prosecutor re-opened.

So regardless of my personal beliefs, what can we take from the above three points?

First, solely because US taxpayers' dollars were wasted, this then clearly makes it possible to present the desire for re-opening of Ukrainian investigation into the Burisma affair as a legitimate matter of US national interest.

Second, for the exact same reasons, it is again entirely viably presentable as a legitimate matter of US national interest to push for a probe into the reasons behind the original prosecutor dropping the Burisma investigation.

And, given both Bidens' involvement in the Burisma affair in 2014 if not before, no matter how peripheral or innocent, it is completely reasonable for Joe's and Hunter's activities to be looked into as a side part of that re-opened investigation.

Conclusion? The above is a perfectly viable and credible defence for Trump and his administration to present re the whole Ukraine phonecall investigation, should they need to.

Do I personally believe such a defence is in fact a truthful account? Nope...

Do I personally believe that such a defence is without a doubt sufficiently credible? Yep...

And that is why the Impeachment enquiry is again going to follow down the Mueller Report route and again turn out to be a "nothingburger".
Last edited by TheFallen on Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

By the way, John Bolton's a dirty old cuckhold who can't please a woman.

Srs https://www.inquisitr.com/5429038/trump ... columnist/
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

PS Brinn...

Given that I answered your earlier posed question, I'd be highly interested whether you agree with my assertion (as per my post above) that, regardless of what you and I may suspect the actual truth of matters to be, there is a completely sufficiently credible "US national interests"-based defence for Trump to utilise re Burisma/Biden/Ukraine if necessary.

Let me know when you get a minute and thanks.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Skyweir wrote:Is corruption wrong? Yes absolutely. Was there anti corruption policy supported by the US? Yes and the person with established anti corruption effectiveness was Ivanovich. Why would such an effective anti corruption asset be removed from the Ukraine at the admins behest if anti corruption was the administrations intent?

Now thats imv a damn good question.
No, it's a damn simple question. It's business as usual for an incoming president to fire all ambassadors and replace them with his or her own. For some reason Trump didn't do that, but his predecessor did.

By the way, you're not doing your credibility any favors by not knowing the former Ukrainian ambassador's name.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Savor Dam wrote:
SoulBiter wrote:Any of that seems minor to what other Presidents have done.
I read all twenty examples. With the exception of the final one (LBJ using the FBI and CIA for political advantage in 1964) and the not-included-but-incredibly-similar tale of Watergate, none of these seem to bear on abuse of power for partisan advantage in an election, the appearance of which is definitely an aspect of the current situation.
No some were much worse. Like going around congress to suspend habeas corpus. I never said that these were similar to the current. What I was getting at is that many past presidents have done things that could be seen as abuse of power, yet were not impeached.
Last edited by SoulBiter on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image

Return to “Coercri”