Knives Out

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Knives Out

Post by peter »

When celebrated crime novelist Harlan Thromby is found dead after his 85th birthday party at his country mansion the scene is set for this fast paced and easy viewing whodunnit to begin. Directed by Rian Johnson and starring Daniel Craig (utilising a not massively convincing southern drawl) the film has a decent cast who enter into the spirit of the movie with the good humour and enthusiasm that the script asks for. The setting is suitably Victorian and convoluted (all dark panels and secret passageways) to lend atmosphere to the piece and all one needs is for Hercule Poirot to pop up out of the woodwork and the story would be complete. As it happens our private investigator, for some reason working alongside the police quite happily when one would perhaps have expected them to kick his sorry ass down the front steps the moment he arrived, sports a French name of his own (I forget what) but stops short of attempting an accent to match (at which he might have been better). The plot has holes; the denouement stretches the central story to fit into a ridiculous and unbelievable series of events that attempts to imitate Agatha Christie, but without any of the authors subtlety or skill in making us accept the incredible.......

But these are quibbles. This is a good fun if lightweight couple of hours entertainment; a break for Craig from his smouldering Bond schedule and an undemanding bit of candyfloss for us to relax through without any pressure being put on us. You wouldn't want to see films like this every day, but now and again they are a tonic.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I loved this movie. It had its issues - particularly a section in the middle that dragged a bit - but the ending more than made up for it.

At this point, I wish Daniel Craig would give up on James Bond and start making murder movies with Rian Johnson.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

Watched it. Loved it!!! Highly recommend.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image

Return to “Flicks”