The DCEU and the MCU

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

No one can wield Mjolnir since Hela shattered it. It is possible that Eitri could reforge it, of course, but I don't think they are going to bother.

We already know that Frat Boy Thor can wield Mjolnir, though, because he did.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah, they already resolved that arc for Thor in Endgame. It was the whole point of the subplot with his mother.

As far as Jane Foster Thor, in the comics it was pretty straightforward: Marvel was doing a big shakeup event where Thor became unworthy, they needed a character to hold the title until they reset things (you have to keep releasing Thor comics or readers might fall off), so "why don't we make Jane Foster the new Thor" was a pretty decent idea for that couple-year run. I have no idea how they're going to work it in the movies because it kind of becomes a "the comics just did it so now we should" thing without the groundwork.

The bit that stands out to me from the announcement is that there's no Avengers movie (or equivalent). So far, the structure of the phases has been to do a few solo movies capped off by an event movie. Phase 3 changed things a bit by doing the two-parter and extending the phase to 11 films (because you have to keep releasing 2-3 films a year, of course), but I would've expected them to stick to the teamup every few years.
Maybe for 2022 we'll start seeing the Young Avengers and New Avengers stuff they're clearly building toward.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

So The Eternals aren't the team up for phase 4? Again, I know nothing about them, so forgive me if that seems irrelevant.
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

This is a great thread.
To update this, I think the DCEU is now DCCU (DC Cinematic Universe) and DCU (DC Universe TV) and as for Marvel the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) and a different company Marvel Television that produces the Marvel TV shows.

There are so many of the TV shows with both franchises that I have not watched any of or all of yet.

MARVEL:-
(2013-) Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D (some of the early seasons)
(2015-16) Agent Carter (seasons 1+2) (none)
(2015-2018) Daredevil (seasons 1-3) (none)
(2015-19) Jessica Jones (seasons 1-3) (none)
(2016-2018) Luke Cage (seasons 1+2) (none)
(2017-2018) Iron Fist (seasons 1+2) (none)
(2017-19) The Punisher (seasons 1+2) (none)
(2017) Inhumans (season 1) (none)
(2017) The Defenders (season 1) (none)
(NOT including the cartoons and LEGO)

DC:-
(2001-11) Smallville (all)
(2012-) Arrow (none)
(2014-) The Flash
(2015-) Supergirl
(2016-) Legends Of Tomorrow (4 seasons) (none)
(2018-) Black Lightning (none)
(2018-) Titans (none)
(2019-) Krypton (none)
(2019-) Batwoman (none)
(2019-) Crisis on Infinite Earths (none)
(2020) Stargirl (none)
Constantine (none)
Vixen (none)
(Not including any cartoons)

There is not enough hours left before the Sun destroys the Earth for me to watch all of them but I will try.
I have seen pretty much all the MCU films though and they really came of age with the first Spider-man in 2002. Now from a separate universe to the Tom Holland Spidey. I don't think there was a bad film produced by Marvel since then.
As for the DCCU, I like most of the Batman's and Superman's films and I think the Henry Cavill and Aflick were the best. It is a real shame the DCCU has seemed to implode and we will never see a Justice League v Avengers tie-in movie.

I prefer Marvel to DC and always have. More of a down to Earth leaning franchise. Poor ppl. becoming heroes as opposed to rich capitalists.

The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The middle couple of seasons of Agents of SHIELD get bogged down in the "it's the Skye and Coulson show". Once you get past all the "here is what HYDRA was *really* about seaons" and you get into The Darkhold, Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider, and Ada it gets good again.

The Nexflix ground-level Marvel shows are really worth it. Yes, the first season of Iron Fist suffered a little because they were rushing it to get to Defenders but it still has good points.

Agent Carter...I like that they were trying to give Haley Atwell more screen time but most of the show is pretty "meh". Still....Dottie the 1950s proto-Widow is an interesting character--and she never got caught, so she could have bleneded in and stayed in the United States--as is the actress/scientist who gets infected with Darkforce.

The Inhumans TV show....*sigh* It's pretty bad.

Out of the DCTVU...once you get past the Vandal Savage plot in Legends it actually becomes pretty good. I stopped watching them, though, for no real reason. I guess I should start catching up, at least on Flash and Crisis. Black Lightning was okay, but not the best.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Doom Patrol is amazing.
The very best of all of them.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Flicks”