Your favorite book from 1st and 2nd chronicles is...

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Which is your favorite book from the 1st and 2nd chronicles?

Lord Foul's Bane
7%
The Illearth War
50%
The Power That Preserves
21%
The Wounded Land
7%
The One Tree
7%
White Gold Wielder
7%

Total votes: 14

darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Your favorite book from 1st and 2nd chronicles is...

Post by darthbuzz »

Hello, I am curious as to whether anyone has a favorite book. I am just finishing WL on audio book so cannot answer yet but should have finished the first 6 by the end of this week coming.
I think it will probably be The Illearth War just because I like medieval battles but 2 books to go so not voting yet.

Thanks in advance for the votes. :D

Sorry if this has been done before.

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I picked The Power That Preserves. It's bleak with some real tragedy, but that just makes Covenant's victory (and Mhoram's victory, for that matter) that much more euphoric for me. I've actually teared up reading where Covenant finds Foamfollower has survived Hotash Slay, and where Covenant witnesses Mhoram's dedication to him at Glimmermere. :sob:
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

Picked White Gold Wielder.

I really enjoyed the pacing, the characters and how Covenant resolved against all odds his problems.

However, the ending in The Power that Preserves is my all time favorite ending of any book I have ever read. Donaldson did amazing job setting up the bond between Covenant and Foamfollower to create the best ending for their companions as character arcs.
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

Thank you all who have voted and especially those that commented as well. :D

I have just come to the end of the 1st and 2nd chronicles and it was tight for me between TIW, TPTP and TWGW but have gone for The Power that Preserves.
Like samr3 said, a great ending. 8)

_________
"There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular,
but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right." - Martin Luther King
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Picked The One Tree.

A sprawling, adventuresome, exoticist vibe and an ineluctably brooding, doom-laden morosity combine to make what is, by turns, the most rollicking and portentous entry in the series.

My :2c:

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

The Illearth War is the Empire Strikes Back / Wrath of Khan of the Chronicles.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Its hard for me to pick just one but I voted for LFB cuz I loved meeting Foamy and the people of the Land for the first time.

But I really enjoyed the entire journey from LFB to WGW

I remember literally weeping like a baby at the end of WGW and being overwhelmed by inconsolable grief .. it was that loss and longing that led me on a search for more TCTC .. alas there were none back then ... but then I found Kevins Watch ... ♥️♥️♥️♥️ That was 2001 .. and here we are 😉
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

The Illearth war by far. So much of what I fell in love with in the Chronicles was from that book and so much was learned in that book about the Land, the Lords, and the defenders. The knowledge that the Giants were gone. How that affected the Haruchai who journey with the Lords to find out what happened to them. The first time you see a Haruchai show emotion.... The journey of TC and Elena.....

For me, this was the book that really brought me into the Land.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

I read the Illearth War first, then had to go back and read LFB. My favorite would still be the Illearth War followed by "the Power that Preserves".
"Lord, they-we could not-, the Giants-" Suddenly the habitual flatness of Tull's voice was gone. "Lord!" The word vibrated with a grief so keen that the Bloodguard could not master it.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

The Illearth War is utterly compelling, one of my favourite books full stop.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”