loric's Krill

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

loric's Krill

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

I kinda need some help understanding the uses of Loric's Krill. I always thought that the Krill was some sort of Catalyst for power; maybe the Krill latches itself to the most prominent power contained in the land. this would explain it's affinity for the white gold and it's latch onto Mhorams blue power when he learns the power of desecration... idk my ideas seem kind stupid.. anyone on here have any other ideas or knowledge? the krill has been on mind lately xD

sorry if this has been discussed already.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I hesitate to say anything, cuz I might slip and say things that we don't find out until [or I might spew out speculations discussed relevant too] the second and/or third chronicles so would be spoiler territory here.

If you use the search function, you'll find lots of stuff [even if you only look at topic titles...]

Much discussion on it, cuz it has important roles in both the second and last [in fact new stuff about it is mentioned in the preview chapter of "Last Dark."]

I BELIEVE little is really revealed about what and how it works in the First Chron's except that:
1) It was supposed to be awakened by mastering Lore...and that awakening was the "call" to tell Amok the Lords were ready for the 7th Ward.
2) White Gold transcends it, wakes it untimely.
3) It's good for killing Viles.

The catalyst thing you mentioned is discussed in some of those other Chron's threads, as is much else concerning it.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Like Vraith, I am constrained by not wanting to impart unearned knowledge...but read on, Poliwrath. The krill is all you suppose it to be and more. Consider the D. Sweet cover illustration of The Wounded Land. Clearly, this is a significant instrument.

Once you have read the Last Chrons, come discuss this in that forum.

Welcome to the Watch!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

the Krill was another object of power that twit Thomas could have used to reign ruin on Foul. but he was too busy moaning about...

:)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

I have read all the books to date butt I feel like iv forgotten most of the second and last chronicles. I think I might have posted his in the wrong section *woops*. Im almost done reading the first chronicles now so I will be continuing. If it is explained better in he last chronicles iv probably forgotten it at this point. but thanks for some of the input!

idk if this can be moved or whatever so yeah... my bad for posting It here
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

sgt.null wrote:the Krill was another object of power that twit Thomas could have used to reign ruin on Foul. but he was too busy moaning about...

:)
Spoiler
Yah, if he had only known that in TIW, he would have gone back into Elena's suite to retrieve it. That would have changed everything in the written future though.
:lol:
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Ah, but could the krill have rained ruin on Foul? We know from The First Chronicles that it was effective as a weapon against Ravers in Demondim guise and Ravers in Giant guise. We know from The Second Chronicles that it was effective as a weapon against Cavewights and the Lurker, and could be used to channel power to alter the course of the Sunbane. However, Lord Foul himself is a different kind of adversary, and in both of the first two Chronicles Covenant used means other than outright weapons to defeat him.
Last edited by DrPaul on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phantomshark
Servant of the Land

Post by phantomshark »

I got the impression that the krill was kind of a dagger that had the power to amplify Earthpower. It's been many years since I read the books though.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Donaldson speaks very little about the krill in the GI.
In the Gradual Interview was wrote:Does the gem of the krill originate from a piece of the One Stone?
  • Trees grow, mutate, have descendants. Rocks melt, fuse, get torn apart and recombined. I would hate to limit my narrative options by saying, "Yes, the gem of the krill is a piece of the One Stone [Rock, whatever: One of Something]." But surely it's fair to say that the krill's gem--and orcrest--are descended in some sense from the archetypal concept of *stone*. Like lomillialor, they express or exemplify ideas and powers larger than themselves.

(03/12/2008)
In the Gradual Interview was wrote:
  • However (he said ruefully), the name I most wish I could change is "krill". When I picked that name for Loric's dagger, I had no idea that it was a real word--or that its real meaning isn't even remotely useful for my intentions. <sigh>

(01/11/2010)
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

all this time, that is what I envisioned they were using...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Well, you know, Covenant did raise it up from the bottom of Glimmermere in TWL...
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

sgt.null wrote:Image

all this time, that is what I envisioned they were using...
ROFLMAO!!

I suppose it isn't any worse than when Monty Python used the Vorpal Bunny...
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

Can't seem to get my image to post. Sorry...

Loric's Krill
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I should post whilst drunk more often...

The krill went snicker-snack!
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

St. Null.. that krill has a problem

or not

But at the time it was a whale of a idea.

it's just some food for thought.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

Other than the one in the middle, can any one of these sword be used as a... sword?

(I always thought the Krill was more of a long dagger with little decoration)
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Re: loric's Krill

Post by Lazy Luke »

Rau Le Creuset wrote:I always thought that the Krill was some sort of Catalyst for power; maybe the Krill latches itself to the most prominent power contained in the land. this would explain it's affinity for the white gold

... the krill has been on mind lately xD
What a pity this is seven years ago, it has been on my mind too.

Anyway, the Krill is like a double-edged symbol. To the people of the Land it is a great talisman of power, eventually to be used as a weapon against evil. To Thomas Covenant and the white gold the activated Krill represents the feeling of great love. This is an important point as Covenant's numbness was only ever skin deep.

To the reader the importance of this is paramount. If the Krill was intented to bridge the gap between the worlds - the dream world and a real world of the protagonist and author - then this could mean that the The Land is actually true. Though heavily veiled in magical symbolism!
darthbuzz
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by darthbuzz »

Yes, it seems Loric's Krill is indeed a double-edged sword. :biggrin:
Just finishing WGW so cannot remember/don't know or it's future uses so I cannot comment any more. :roll:

The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

darthbuzz wrote:Yes, it seems Loric's Krill is indeed a double-edged sword. :biggrin:
Well it can be discouraging when reading back to see meaning inarticulated.
Therefore to reiterate, the activation of Loric's Krill shows us the light of love shining in the heart of Thomas Covenant.
As we are told, 'The Land' externalizes those abstract things like love and despite... etc, etc ... and why anyone would side with the shadow of despite is beyond belief.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”