No US paperback release for The War Within

Book Two of The Great God's War trilogy

Moderator: Savor Dam

Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

No US paperback release for The War Within

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Bad new for US readers holding out for the paperback release of The War Within - there won't be one.

From SRD's New page:
Berkley, the publisher of THE WAR WITHIN (Book Two of "The Great God's War," has decided not to release the book in paperback. The sales of TWW in hardcover, and of SEVENTH DECIMATE in paperback, were ruinous; and Berkley is unwilling to spend even more money in a doomed cause. TWW will continue to be available in hardcover, at least for a while. It will be available as an ebook almost indefinitely. And it will be available as an audio book from Audible for the foreseeable future.

For me, this is what my son calls "a real boot to the head." But it won't stop me from working on Book Three, THE LAST REPOSITORY.
I sometimes wonder about decisions like this. A reduction in hardcover sales of Volume 2 may, indeed, show a lack of enthusiasm by Volume 1 readers - but might that not translate into more paperback sales? We'll never know, now.

I think it also might indicate that the shift to ebooks and audiobooks is continuing unabated.

(Full disclosure: I did not buy a US hardcover of The War Within. I did buy a UK hardcover, a Kindle edition, and the audiobook edition, however)

HBJ
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Re: No US paperback release for The War Within

Post by SleeplessOne »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Bad new for US readers holding out for the paperback release of The War Within - there won't be one.

From SRD's New page:
Berkley, the publisher of THE WAR WITHIN (Book Two of "The Great God's War," has decided not to release the book in paperback. The sales of TWW in hardcover, and of SEVENTH DECIMATE in paperback, were ruinous; and Berkley is unwilling to spend even more money in a doomed cause. TWW will continue to be available in hardcover, at least for a while. It will be available as an ebook almost indefinitely. And it will be available as an audio book from Audible for the foreseeable future.

For me, this is what my son calls "a real boot to the head." But it won't stop me from working on Book Three, THE LAST REPOSITORY.
I sometimes wonder about decisions like this. A reduction in hardcover sales of Volume 2 may, indeed, show a lack of enthusiasm by Volume 1 readers - but might that not translate into more paperback sales? We'll never know, now.

I think it also might indicate that the shift to ebooks and audiobooks is continuing unabated.

(Full disclosure: I did not buy a US hardcover of The War Within. I did buy a UK hardcover, a Kindle edition, and the audiobook edition, however)

HBJ
yikes that's terrible news for SRD; 'ruinous' sales, 'a doomed cause'.

I'm with you Hunchback Jack; perhaps the book might've found legs with a paperback release.

Happy to hear Donaldson is soldiering on regardless, I really hope interest in the series picks up for him; I think he's done a great job and I'm looking forward to the final installment with great anticipation.
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

What's the url for SRD's new website?

And what happened to the old one, for that matter?

Added Later Edit: Just found out that there isn't a "new website", but that the usual one is throwing up a non-specific 500 error and so is completely inaccessible.

Hope this isn't something as dumb as someone forgetting to renew the domain or pay their yearly hosting bill.

Have to say, when combined with the news above re "ruinous" sales of the paperback edition of T7D and (more worryingly) the hardback (and thus only physical) edition of TWW, this all feels a bit fin de siecle...

Hope I'm wrong...
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

It must be terribly disheartening for SRD, particularly while he's in the middle of Book 3. I'm glad he's focusing on the work, regardless - and I don't think Berkeley would pull the contract for Book 3 at this stage.

I wonder if part of the problem was a lack of marketing. Frankly, I have no idea how authors let people know about new books - particularly when it's been a handful of years since the last one. There was a time when folks would find your work by browsing through the SF section in a bookstore. Nowadays, unless the book pops up as a suggested title on Amazon, or it's already gained a following and appears as a popular title, I would think a lot of books just vanish after publication.

SRD seem to avoid social media, and doesn't have a very active agent or publisher acting on his behalf in that arena. That would probably help.

HBJ
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

This is odd..When I went to buy T7thD no hardbacks were available in bookstores near my home.One Hardback existed 20 miles away..so I bought the last paperback available at my local Barnes and Noble..When I went to buy TWW..same local Barnes and Noble had their last remaining hardback available.....So..in Phoenix..his stuff still sells anyway.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Listening to some of SRD's latest interviews, he does speak directly to the issue of his declining readership. He gives the impression that he understands and accepts this as a natural phenomenon. (Whether that's just an act or not, who could say?)

The man is 72 ... if he's still writing, it's because he cannot resist the muse. He hasn't failed to notice a steady decline in readership since White Gold Wielder. Nor has he failed to notice that the publishing industry isn't what it was. But he's plugged on anyway. Power to him.
Hunchback Jack
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Hunchback Jack »

That's a great point, WF. Well said.

I imagine it must have been both elating to have so much success with his first published series, and then disappointing that his later work was not as well-received, but as you say, he's clearly dealt with - or accepted, at least - any impact that has on his motivation to write.

He certainly seems to be his toughest critic, anyway.

HBJ
renny
Ramen

Post by renny »

The war within was published in paperback here in the UK yesterday. I've now bought a copy in hardback and paperback and on kindle. Obviously I love the story and am looking forward to the concluding volume. Very sad to hear about the decline in sales. Mr Donaldson deserves better imvho.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

renny wrote:The war within was published in paperback here in the UK yesterday. I've now bought a copy in hardback and paperback and on kindle. Obviously I love the story and am looking forward to the concluding volume. Very sad to hear about the decline in sales. Mr Donaldson deserves better imvho.
I am enjoying the story immensely. I love the TC books but in many ways The Great God's War is a much more accessible work.

The fantasy market is saturated with derivative garbage and YA trash. The fact that something like The War Within failed to gain traction is an indictment of today's fantasy landscape. And, to be frank, of todays fantasy readers.
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

The Great God's War is a much more accessible work than the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Much more like Mordant's Need in that regard.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Ryzel wrote:The Great God's War is a much more accessible work than the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Much more like Mordant's Need in that regard.
For sure, but it still retains SRD's trademark exploration of character and emotion. I think it's great, really looking forward to the next volume.

Return to “The War Within”