Shazam!

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Shazam!

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Saw this last weekend.

Maybe, just maybe, DC has finally figured out that we are all tired of "dark and brooding". Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and now Shazam are all in brighter colors--not ridiculous "four color" stuff like from the 1960s--and the effect is working. Of course, Shazam--the original Captain Marvel, no matter what Marvel's high-dollar lawyers may say--was never a dark or brooding character since--obviously--he isn't really an adult yet.

There is a good op-ed over at CNN praising the movie from the "foster system" point of view--the parents are neither saints nor abusive assholes, they are just people who went through the foster system themselves and are now trying to help some young people start life with a stable foundation. I agree--once you get past the first 15 or 20 minutes (the movie gets off to a really slow and flat start, but even great art starts on a blank canvas) you really start to be able to connect with these people.

By the time you get halfway into the movie, it is difficult *not* to like the two characters played by young Mr. Angel (Billy Batson) and Mr. Grazer (Freddy Freeman)--they have a good working chemistry, giving the superhero movie a sort of "buddy movie" subplot and feel.

The villain, Dr. Sivana (full name Thaddeus Bodog Sivana, but they never give his full first name or his middle name), was made into a villain through verbal and emotional abuse he suffered as a child. Object lesson, there.

If you haven't seen it, go see it.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

We plan to.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Oh, I forgot to add, without spoiling anything: Best. Villain. Monologue. Scene. Ever.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Think it's hovering around on Netflix or Sky at the moment and have been casting looks in it's direction for a while. Just needed the nudge your post has given me Hashi, so I'll report back when I've seen it.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Yeah I didnt hate it lol 😂 to be fair it was a lot better than I expected.

As a kid I used to watch Shazam and thought it would have been more like that.

But wasnt disappointed ... it was a fun ride
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:wave: Hi Sky!

Agreed. It was an entertaining couple of hours with tweaks of depth that were unexpected in this type of film. I'm wondering if there is a follow-up to come to resolve the unresolved element of the boy's story - not really necessary if the function of the tale is partly to say "Sometimes life will not grant your wishes - but will give you compensations elsewhere ala the Stones song (you can't always get what you want).
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

True that ♥️
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR