Anti Aging Technology - good or bad?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Lady Elega
Servant of the Land

Anti Aging Technology - good or bad?

Post by Lady Elega »

Ok, so I am currently watching the Marvel comic movie with anti aging tech used on Samuel L Jackson and I want to say that it's made the whole movie awful. I can't concentrate on the film because he looks awful, like a freaky frog. Part of what I love about actors is the character that lines their faces and guides their acting from experience and life. He looks like a bad version of his former self. Their faces need to fit the person who acts, not a cartoon version of themselves... discuss....
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I do find it slightly off, but only if I am looking for it.

It's going to get better. That goes without saying.

However, I believe it's only a small leap from this (where they use the older actor as a model to put the younger face onto) and the next step (where they use a different actor as a model to put anyone's face onto).

When the Duke, Jimmy Dean, and Marilyn are all in movies again, then you will see the uproar. Or when living actors are paid for the right to superimpose their face on another actor, and never actually go to a set.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Hello Lady Elega!

I don't mind it so much.
At least he's still alive. :lol:
Bringing actors back from the dead I find odd.

[Unpopular opinion time]

I'm hoping that we're getting to the point where we won't need real actors anymore. Just computer generated people.
Most of the short clips I've seen in video games lately are fantastic.
Many times I wish it was a full length movie that I could enjoy.

Imagine a 100% CGI Avenger Endgame with the same budget but no actor salaries. :biggrin:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I know the technology isn't quite there yet but this situation reminds me of one of my oldest mantras. If you can't tell the difference what difference does it make?
If you are being entertained by the film who cares how they made the sausage so to speak. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I thought it worked well in The Irishman - the anti-aging as well as the aging of Joe Pesci and Robert de Niro .
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

wayfriend wrote:I do find it slightly off, but only if I am looking for it.

It's going to get better. That goes without saying.

However, I believe it's only a small leap from this (where they use the older actor as a model to put the younger face onto) and the next step (where they use a different actor as a model to put anyone's face onto).

When the Duke, Jimmy Dean, and Marilyn are all in movies again, then you will see the uproar. Or when living actors are paid for the right to superimpose their face on another actor, and never actually go to a set.
I thought this was interesting.
I had heard about "Deep Fakes" but hadn't sen it before today.
It's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKpH0C ... 4wh0_pgL3g
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

I was watching, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, this evening. In this movie the Baron's youthful anti-ageing effects were really amazing.
As Oliver Reed was in this movie I was reminded of the Gladiator film, where he had died before the film's completion and his head had to be transposed onto another actor's body, for the "ashes and dust" scene.
I'd be interested to know if Robin Williams has had similar anti-ageing treatment in a movie. As he had played 'the King of Moon' - in one of the Baron's adventures - the royal loony with the detachable head.

Anti-ageing tech! definately good.
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I'm going to take the anti anti-aging stance. I also thought Samuel Jackson looked like a freaky frog. In my humble opinion I really feel that an actor's age and aging process makes them more believable as the characters they play on the screen. I find that it also makes them more relatable as a general rule. As actors become more seasoned and comfortable with the life fame brings they become better at their art by far. Rob Lowe, for example, is much more sexy and intriguing on screen than when he was a kid in St Elmo's Fire. I have to say no to anti-aging for now.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Most of the short clips I've seen in video games lately are fantastic.
Clearly, you never played Mass effect: Andromeda

shudders

I'm with Jenn on this one, and not just for the technical aspect (yes, I know it will get better)... I find the youth-bias in Hollywood disturbing. There's nothing wrong with aging or looking your age. For that matter, there's nothing wrong with not being a supermodel... I recently watched Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil for the first time, and I was struck by how many people in it look like real people. They're not supermodels. And I loved it.

Show me a woman with wrinkles and confidence and I'll choose her any day over fake "influencer" on Instagram. cf. Sophia Loren in Nine as my go-to example.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I haven't seen the SLJ anti-aging thingy, but I thought they did a surprisingly good job in The X-men movie where Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen play their younger selves for a scene... but both actors also spent time training themselves to walk, sit, and move like younger men so it would be believable, not just a face stuck on. Is that the fault with the SLJ treatment?

Better to just use a younger actor, as Tommy Lee Jones was replace by Josh Brolin for scenes of 40 years earlier. If the acting is good enough, it's believable.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Actually that was purr brilliance - switching out Tommy Lee Jones younger self as Josh Brolin. Was utterly believable lol 😂

Im with Jen and Rigel ... particularly when it looks fake or freaky. I saw another movie recently where a younger self was CGId and it also wasnt that buyable.

Looked weird.

Looked fake.

I can suspend reality with the best of them ... but somethings just dont gel well.

Its got to be buyable .. and it wasnt.. and when its not it IS distracting ..

If you cant spot... then no biggy. ATOMic is right ... tis a valid mantra.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”