The new Tool thread that shouldn't be deleted

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Saw Tool last Saturday night. Probably one of the best shows I've seen of theirs - and probably one of their loudest.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Haha on Sunday a number of muso friends came over who had been to that Saturday concert ... they loved it.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Since we can't physically go out, I thought Vespers would be active (which it probably would have been if this pandemic happened 5 years ago) :D

Anyway, here's a couple of Tool appreciation videos:

Danny Carey (the Drummer) playing Pneuma live

Lost in Vegas - REACTION to Pneuma - it's a very entertaining watch!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I find Tool to be very difficult to get in to. Thanks for posting the videos.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Well, if you'd like me to link any of my favourites, I'm happy to :D

Tool is a band that has evolved over the years - their earlier stuff was pretty raw and angry, and it has evolved into more of a spiritual and philosophical style over the years.

They are one of those bands that requires *listening* to, I guess along the lines of Pink Floyd, Rush, etc. Bands that can be difficult to have just playing in the background. In a similar vein to, say, Rush (and I'm using that example because I notice you have posted in that thread) they are all stunning musicians, and I personally appreciate that.

Their songs are generally quite long - particularly on this last album. They are carefully composed, and this last batch of songs to me don't feel like long songs - I don't notice how long they are, and suddenly 12 minutes have passed.

I you just posted a general comment, that's fine too :D I won't try and convert you, unless you're interested :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I am interested, so convert away!
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Challenge accepted :D

Having said that, I've hardly ever succeeded in converting anyone to music I love, so I will not be offended if I fail!

Tool began as a much less polished band - as so many bands do - I guess you might call it "angry". Opiate was released in 1992, followed by Undertow in 1993. I am a big fan of Undertow but the themes on this album are very strong and mainly concerned with abuse of some kind.

Aenima was their breakthrough release in 1996. It has some of my favourite songs on it, and it starts exploring some of the concepts on their next album Lateralus in 2001, which is way less angry, and way more spiritual / philosophical. It's also where their songs started increasing in length consistently. There are long songs on the previous albums, but this one has more consistently long songs on it.

This was followed in 2006 with 10,000 Days which I believe is roughly how long Maynard's (the lead singer's) mother suffered an illness before she died. This also has some of my favourite Tool songs.

And finally, in 2019, they released Fear Innoculum. The song length has increased again on this album.

As I mentioned before, Tool needs to be listened to, for me anyway. If it is playing in the background, you might find it annoying - it requires headphones, or a decent stereo system.

Here's a few to try out:

Off 10,000 Days

Right in Two - a masterpiece (in my opinion :D)

Vicarious - a nice commentary on human's desire to view tragedies vicariously.

Off Fear Innoculum

Pneuma - it goes for nearly 12 minutes. It has become one of my favourite Tool songs. The drumming is a feature on this one.

Invincible - another long one, but it builds beautifully.

If you got this far, I'll link a couple from Lateralus and Aenima

:D - I might edit this post with these links at some stage.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I've watched the Pneuma drum cam video several times. It's mesmerizing! I googled the lyrics and while I don't connect with them, I still love the song.

Another friend who plays bass and again knows how much I love Rush told me to listen to Schism and I have. I haven't looked up the lyrics yet though.

My next task is to read through this thread and learn as I go.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Schism is deep in Lateralus land, which represented a major shift in their style in my opinion. The bass on that song is ridiculous, so I'm not surrpised your bassist friend chose that one! If I were to pick two songs from this album that I believe should be listened to, and appreciated, it would be The Grudge and Lateralus.

The Grudge

Laterlaus
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Return to “Vespers”