Moderator: I'm Murrin

Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"How old are your children? And where are they now?"
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

"Of course" Richard looks directly at the clerk with a cool smile. "My apologies, I won't waste any more of your time." With a slight nod, Richard turns and heads toward the exit. *Might as well have a look at the Guild hall and continue this wild goose chase. I wonder how the others are getting on.*
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

Paula listened to Sara.

"Have you ever thought of becoming a Guild member? Your faith seems very strong and from what I hear, there are no restrictions on marriage or family.

"That way, Smoak can't touch you."
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Bela and Paula
"My boys are seven and eight. They're in school," she says in answer to Bela.

Paula's suggestion seems to give her pause. You get the impression this is a possibility she had never considered. She says hesitantly, "Surely the Guild wouldn't take someone like me. I don't know how I would even do that..."

Richard, what are you going to do now, if you're leaving the bank? Going to the Guild Hall, checking on the others, doing something else?
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

With a smile and nod to Paula, "Very interesting suggestion! I can't believe there isn't a way to get a foot in the door. I'm sure it's a business to many, and there are always corrupt members of an organization of any size. Still, as Paula says, your faith is undeniable, and there are surely members at all levels of the organization who are faithful."
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

Richard heads out of the bank, and turns in the direction of the Guild Hall.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Bela and Paula:
To your surprise, Sara looks a little offended. "The Guild serves the Lady. I'm sure they would never allow corruption."

Richard:
You head back out across the square, toward the expansive structure on the other side. The main entrance appears to be an archway leading through the building into an inner courtyard, and you can see a line of people queuing to the side of this arch, with people in Guild uniform holding clipboards managing their entrance to the Hall. The people in line are all sorts, some of them in rougher clothes than you'd seen around the city, some in foreign styles. You also notice that not everyone joins this queue to enter; some simply walk right past, most but not all of them wearing Guild colours.
The building is very large however, and you expect there would be more than one entrance.
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

Well, we won't know if you can join the Guild unless we ask. We can take you to the Guild Hall and see. Or, better yet," Paula paused and looked around for a Guild member.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Paula
You look around for Guild members, and walking past the cafe you see a tall, bald man in a suit with a silver Guild pin on his chest. He looks like he's in a hurry.
Bela Gin
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Bela Gin »

"My apologies, Sara. To my knowledge, I have no experience with anyone from the Guild. I'm just speaking of large organizations in general. Your experience with the Guild is far greater than mine, so I'll take your word for it."
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

Instead of lining up, Richard decides to walk toward the archway, hoping a Guild member will approach him so he can ask what he needs to ask. There don't seem to be any signs directing people to these lines, although it seems obvious that this is what is expected. He will line up if necessary but it won't hurt to try this approach first.
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

Paula quickly gets up and rushes over to the tall, bald man and using all her charm and persuasion, she says, "Pardon me, sir. Are you a Guild member?"
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

[As a small note, I've been feeling like I'm not making enough use of attribute rolls lately so I'm going to try and bring more of that in where it seems necessary, generally it'll be when you're trying to do anything that would be opposed in some way.]

Richard:
As you approach the opening, a guard near the entrance takes one look at you and moves to block your passage. "Official Guild business only, sir," he says.

Paula:
[I feel that this merits a Charm roll as you're interrupting his day and trying to get him to stop and pay attention to what you have to say, but I'm not adding the Persuasive trait since you're not, currently, attempting to persuade him of anything in particular.]
[Roll: 9 [+2 Charm] = 11]

The man slows and his head turns at your words, a look of annoyance on his face, but when he sees you his expression changes and he comes to a stop. A polite smile appearing on his patrician face, he looks you up and down as he answers, "Yes, I am. Magistrate Umbar Keren, at your service, madam." He pronounces the name and title as if he expects you to be impressed.
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

"My apologies, I'm new here. I was told that this was the place to meet with the Guild historian. Can you point me in the right direction?"
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Richard:
[On the same principle as that last roll I did for Paula...]
[Roll: 6 [+0 Charm] = 6]
[Oh no.]

The guard gives a little snort of laughter. "Piss off."

[This guard's decided he doesn't like the look of you, and he's going to be keeping a close watch. Any further actions you take while he's around are going to have a -1 penalty.]
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

(I do agree that it was a charm roll. Now, it is going to be persuasion so that he will tell me what I need to know.)

"I'm so sorry to bother you but I was wondering if you could tell me how a person would join the Guild. You see, I have a friend of very strong faith who wanted to know. She just did not know how to ask."

Paula realized that this encounter may very well aid her in her other search.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Paula:
[Right now I think your previous roll means he's willing to entertain your questions, you might need another roll if you want to get something more out of him though.]
"Join the Guild?" He strokes his chin thoughtfully. "Assuming your friend is not a business owner, in which case she would simply register and pay the requisite fees, then the most common route would be through an apprenticeship. When I was a boy, I began my own career as an apprentice clerk to the High Magistrate Reilo."
Richard Slade
Ramen

Post by Richard Slade »

Richard gives the man a dark look. Almost inaudibly, Richard mutters "I'll be sure to let your superior know how helpful you were." This guy is hiding comfortably behind his guild buddies. It would be interesting to see how big his balls are if confronted alone. Richard makes a mental note of his features, and decides that this guard won't be given the chance to prove his bravery or otherwise when the time comes. *I've seen enough of this type of prick to last a lifetime.* Without another word, Richard turns and walks away. *He's the first on my list. Given the opportunity, we may meet again, and it will be his last encounter.*

Once away from the building a little distance, Richard scans the Hall exterior for other entrances. He lingers out in the square enough to blend in, and peers towards the guard to see whether he has formed some sort of grudge against Richard - see if the guard is looking for Richard. *These types of people always seem to think they can pick on people like me. He probably thinks he will remember me in order to make life miserable while I'm here. Well, news flash mate, my life is already miserable - you're not going to make it any worse.*

Richard mingles amongst the crowds for a while, also looking in the direction that he last saw Bela and Paula heading.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Richard:
[Roll: 7 [+2 Finesse, +1 Stealthy] = 10 [-1] = 9]

You move away and blend into the crowd, doing your best to slip away from the guard's watchful eye. Though you do manage to lose his attention, he finds your deliberate attempt to hide suspicious. While before you were just some rough-looking guy trying to walk in where he wasn't supposed to, now he thinks you're up to something and will remember you if he sees you again.

On the plus side, having gotten away from him you no longer have a penalty on your actions.

Looking for other entrances, the only thing you can see on this side of the building is a small doorway near the south corner. You don't currently see anyone going in or out of it. Looking back for Paula and Bela at the cafe, you're surprised to see Paula engaged in conversation with the same man you had approached inside the bank.
Paula Ridgeway
Ramen

Post by Paula Ridgeway »

(Another roll, please)

"How very interesting," Paula responds with genuine interest. "You must have had very influential parents to apprentice to the High Magistrate. It would seem that beginning as a child is the way to go. It would require the parents to pay the fee, is that correct?

"What if an adult wanted to join?"

Return to “Heart of God: The Outsiders”