Getting Back into Fantasy!

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Thats interesting to hear .. I have never been a fan but you know times and seasons ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Have you read the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series Sky? The Dragonbone Chair is the first book, and if not I'd recommend it. Williams takes his time setting the scene and building his world, but the effort is worth it. The blurb describes it as the War and Peace of fantasy and I can see where they're coming from. I've not read anything else by the author and maybe you've encountered something else not so good; or maybe it just works differently for us. It happens :)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I have only read one of his books and a very long time ago .. I will definitely look for the series
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Going to reiterate my approval of Williams' trilogy Memory, Sorrow and Thorn from above. Nearly finished book 2 now and it's a powerhouse of a read! It's deep, complex and with a plethora of engaging characters. Very pleased to have (re)discovered it!
:D
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Oh my .. that sounds awesome .. Im definitely going to have to source the books.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

I have just started Williams series. Finished Dragonbone Chair not too long ago. Very interesting read one of the best fantasies I have read in long time. Just started Stone of Farewell and it is great read so far as well. I am excited to have found this series.

Interest characters, dialogue, settings, adventures.

My only small quibble is that there is some discussion of religious tracks that seem close to Christianity. So far that seems too strangely familiar to have very similar religious ideas in a totally different fantasy world setting. But I will keep plotting along and see where that part of the storyline fits in.
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

It was a really good read all the way through samrw3 (a pretty difficult trick to pull off judging by the number of series that 'slump' midway through the journey). But at the very end there was one tiny detail that I think Williams missed (though I promise, only of significance to a very small minority of people of whom I'm one, and which in no way effected my enjoyment, or will effect yours, of the whole).

I'm going to wait to see if you spot it (so tiny is it that you may well not - and that's a clue in itself) before I disclose what it was.

;)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”