Pink Floyd!!

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I have no idea how old this image is, but...

Oh. My. Stars.

Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

I think this is more relevant here than in the 'what are you listening to' thread...which is the BeBop Deluxe - Sunburst Finish remastered, then and now, double issue, CD.

I'm sure you'll think I'm nuts and ignore this post, but I've always thought Bill Nelson's guitar makes some of the best 'pink music', outside of Pink Floyd.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb [David Gilmour demo]
https://youtu.be/ajaS3ROQ634

the Doctor (working title for Comfortably Numb)
https://youtu.be/N7DqhMR8hRk

Comfortably Numb [movie scene]
https://youtu.be/J8fFVOoqepc

Comfortably Numb [Wall Tour 1980]
https://youtu.be/i7L73htRYUA

Comfortably Numb [Delicate Sound of Thunder - 1988]
https://youtu.be/4hBqKCcpBrA

Comfortably Numb [Pulse - 1995]
https://youtu.be/vi7cuAjArRs

Comfortably Numb - Roger Waters [In the Flesh Tour - 2000]
https://youtu.be/ako1dLdFHNA
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_ ... 80%93_Live

Comfortably Numb [Live 8 Reunion - 2005]
https://youtu.be/QrWZNAQrkf4

Comfortably Numb - David Gilmour [live in Gdansk - 2008]
https://youtu.be/B8SpBJLCvIQ

Comfortably Numb [Waters & Gilmour - 2011]
https://youtu.be/26GAP7FAMXU

Comfortably Numb - David Gilmour [llive in Pompeii - 2017]
https://youtu.be/eHKG7EMxWW8
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Haiku

Dark side of the moon
Darth Vader played mini moog
A little known fact
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Lazy Luke wrote:

I'm sure you'll think I'm nuts and ignore this post, but I've always thought Bill Nelson's guitar makes some of the best 'pink music', outside of Pink Floyd.
I don't know any of Bill Nelson's work. Can you link an example?
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Very interesting versions of Comfortably Numb. The lyrics were way different back when it was called The Doctor.

I enjoyed the Roger Waters one with Gilmour as a guest for nostalgia, but Gilmour's solo was a bit rusty. Some of those others are fantastic though.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Haiku II

Dark Side of the Moon
Daltrey Entwistle Townshend
Who? - you may well ask
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Lazy Luke wrote:Haiku
Dark side of the moon
Darth Vader played mini moog
A little known fact
That's no moon; it's a
Space station. Darth never played
Mini-anything.
Yes, I am an alt
Whose? An open secret to
Attentive Watchers
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

The Final Cut

Released: March 1983
StevieG rating (without Tigers): 8.1/10
StevieG rating (with Tigers): 8.2/10

This is the last album with Roger Waters, and it's a Roger Waters solo album basically. It is even subtitled "A requiem for the post war dream by Roger Waters". It represented the climax of Roger and David's conflict, Roger later saying it was "absolute misery to make".

Gilmour thought that "Your Possible Pasts", "One of the Few", "The Final Cut", "The Fletcher Memorial Home", and "The Hero's Return" which were not included in The Wall were "duff tracks" and "If these songs weren't good enough for The Wall, why are they good enough now?". Which is absolute rubbish. Considering how much material they reused in the past, and the reworking that happens on tracks such as these by Floyd. So, The Final Cut was originally going to be a soundtrack album entitled "Spare Bricks" but because of the Fauklands War, Waters decided to write new material and create an anti-war concept album instead.

This album features some of his best and most emotive lyrics. Musically, it has a lot of dynamic changes which give the theme a lot of impact. I read once, years ago, a critic describe it as "strident" which isn't really a compliment, but musically I could live with that if someone described it of my music.

It is interesting that the album now includes an extra song: "When the Tigers Broke Free" - I hadn't heard it in the album before my review listen and so I was tripped up a bit when I was expecting the whip of The Hero's Return. But I approve of this inclusion, as it is one of Waters' most personal songs and it fits the album.

Michael Kamen features on this album, and some future Waters work.

Because of the solo nature of this work, Roger's style is more stripped back, no filler, more theme-based. In some ways, I miss the collaborative Floyd (everyone probably does by now), but it was Roger's style of music. Next album, we hear David's style - and it becomes more clear how they individually influenced the Floyd collective.

The Post War Dream

Written by: Roger Waters
StevieG rating: 8/10

Introduces the album effectively. Various sound effects - the car noises, radio and others - are major themes in this and subsequent Waters albums. Lyrics are impressive, apart from some unfortunate rhyming about ship-building going offshore...

Your Possible Pasts

StevieG rating: 7/10

Lyrics are great. Music is dynamic. As Null mentioned in one of the Wall songs, it's hard to rate these songs sometimes because they're part of the big picture.

Stepping up boldly one put out his hand
He said "I was just a child then, now I'm only a man"

By the cold and religious we were taken in hand
Shown how to feel good, and told to feel bad

One of the Few

StevieG rating: 6/10

Kind of a filler song. An intro to the next one, which is...

When the Tigers Broke Free

StevieG rating: 10/10

This is the most personal song of Waters' catalogue, in my opinion. The lyrics are just so picturesque, and constructed incredibly beautifully. The way he delivers this true and personal account of how his father died is really breathtaking. A great addition to this album:

It was just before dawn
One miserable morning in black 'forty four
When the forward commander
Was told to sit tight
When he asked that his men be withdrawn

And the Generals gave thanks
As the other ranks held back
The enemy tanks for a while
And the Anzio bridgehead
Was held for the price
Of a few hundred ordinary lives

And kind old King George
Sent mother a note
When he heard that father was gone
It was, I recall
In the form of a scroll
With gold leaf adorned

And I found it one day
In a drawer of old photographs, hidden away
And my eyes still grow damp to remember
His Majesty signed
With his own rubber stamp

It was dark all around
There was frost in the ground
When the tigers broke free
And no one survived
From the Royal Fusiliers Company Z

They were all left behind
Most of them dead
The rest of them dying
And that's how the High Command
Took my daddy from me

The Hero's Return

The music is super cool. Nice effects. Some amazing lyrics again - "Sweetheart, sweetheart are you fast asleep?" And then it introduces one of the key songs on this album with:

But burning in my heart
The memory smolders on
Of the gunner's dying words on the intercom

The Gunner's Dream

This is truly a masterpiece. A feature of Roger Waters' songs has to be the apparent simplicity - piano, quiet but incredibly poetic lyrics, and the outburst of emotion that emminates from almost every song. I absolutely love the transition from the "And hold on to the dream" lyric to the sax solo that follows. It is seamless and entirely appropriate. The lyrics tell an incredibly poignant story with flawlessness. Waters' lyrics seem so effortless by this stage in the Floyd chronology.

Goodbye Max, goodbye Ma
After the service, when you're walking slowly to the car
And the silver in her hair shines in the cold November air
You hear the tolling bell and touch the silk in your lapel
And as the teardrops rise to meet the comfort of the band
You take her frail hand
And hold on to the dream

Take heed of the dream.

Paranoid Eyes

This is another difficult one to rate. The tune is pleasant enough, the lyrics are wonderful once again. I particularly love The pie in the sky turned out to miles too high.

Get Your Filthy Hands off my Desert

Impressive explosion. Lyrics once again. This could easily been part of the Fletcher Memorial Home.

The Fletcher Memorial Home

Waters has a big old crack at leaders past, suggesting they should all go into a home for "incurable tyrants and kings" and then the final solution applied. Nasty! Some nice Gilmour guitar work in this one.

Southampton Dock

Just when you thought the lyrics couldn't possibly get any better, Southampton Dock just kills it. And because of the lyrics, I never tire of this short song, describing a woman waving goodbye to the soldiers in World War 2, and then again in the Faulklands War:

They disembarked in '45
And no-one spoke and no-one smiled
There were too many spaces in the line

And gathered at the cenotaph
All agreed with the hand on heart
To sheath the sacrificial knives

But now
She stands upon Southampton Dock
With her handkerchief
And her summer frock clings
To her wet body in the rain

In quiet desperation, knuckles
White upon the slippery reins
She bravely waves the boys Goodbye again

And still the dark stain spreads between
Their shoulder blades.
A mute reminder of the poppy fields and graves

When the fight was over
We spent what they had made
But in the bottom of our hearts
We felt the final cut

And it transitions into The Final Cut absolutely seamlessly, as with many songs on this album.

The Final Cut

StevieG rating: 9/10

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time
And far from flying high in clear blue skies
I'm spiraling down to the hole in the ground where I hide

Great start! This one has the most references to the Wall to me. This could be on either album. But it works perfectly on this one.

And if I show you my dark side
Will you still hold me tonight?
And if I open my heart to you
And show you my weak side
What would you do?

Not Now John

This raucous song features pretty amazing music. The backing vocals repeat the refrain unapologetically, and Gilmour's vocals are very strong. There's a lot going on musically - I find it almost too rough at times, but it certainly is a wake up!

Two Suns in the Sunset

It's a perfect way to end this album. Not the brightest, but apt. I love the shifting time signatures in this (too much unfortunately for Nick Mason, so he handed over the reigns to session drummer Andy Newmark). Like many of the songs on this album, they have a simple emotional impact. This one about the holocaust has that feel.

The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset
Could be the human race is run

And to end it all, another gem:

Finally I understand the feelings of the few
Ashes and diamonds
Foe and Friend
We were all equal in the end
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I have seen Pink Floyd live once. The Momentary Lapse of Reason tour.

I have seen Roger Waters live four times. His Dark Side tour once. His Wall tour twice. And his Us & Them tour once.

When I saw Collective Soul, they covered Mother. With the two Wall shows, that makes three times I've seen Mother live.

I have seen the Australian Pink Floyd once. All That You Love Tour.

When I saw GnR live they did Another Brick 2. Floyd did it when I saw them. And Roger did it all four times. the Australian Pink Floyd did it as well.

That makes seven total times i have seen Another Brick in the Wall pt II live. The most times I have seen any one song live. [/b]
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

The Final Cut

The Post War Dream - starts most as a lullaby, Roger's voice is very soothing at the start. The lyrics are great, easy to sing along to. This is a Roger Waters album. Dave and Nick are just there for occasional decoration. John Prine"s song from 1971, Sam Stone seems the inspiration. They share the same melody, chord progression, instrumentation, chord progression and key.

Null Rating - 8 out of 10.

Your Possible Pasts - so much to love here. Musically we have a very underrated guitar solo by Dave. The way he bends strings, especially that low drag he gets. Outstanding lyrics. The line : "Do you remember me. How we used to be. Do you think we should be closer,?" Comes from a song Roger wrote in 1968 called Incarceration of a Flower Child. Pink Floyd never recorded it. Marriane Faithfull would record it in 1999.

Null Rating - 9 out of 10.

One of the Few - agreed it's a bridge song. Point a to b. It fits the concept of the Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking album, as its part of a dream. Roger plays everything on the track.

Null Rating- 7 out of 10.

When the Tigers Broke Free - wow. Water's most emotional vocal ever. Tear inducing. Perfect performance. It belongs on this album

Null Rating - 10 out of 10.

The Hero's Return - great lyrics agreed. "Sweetheart, Sweetheart are you fast asleep?" Also hits the theme of Pros and Cons. I wonder how interwoven the two albums were? Echoes of the Wall in Dave's guitar. Nice dynamics with Roger's vocals the entire album.

Null Rating - 10 out of 10

The Gunner's Dream - a masterpiece. The simplicity that gives way at points. The scream that turns into the sax solo. The repeating of the line. "No one kills the children anymore" the line "recourse to the law" which will reappear in a different form in Two Sunsets. The drum kick after the line "kicking in your door." The line "some corner of a foreign field" is from Rupert Brooke's poem The Soldier.

Paranoid Eyes - the parts seem to be better than the sum. I like the lyrics. Especially "Now you're lost in a haze, of alcohol soft middle age." I like the music as well. The lifts and the swells. It just doesn't mesh with me.

Null Rating - 7 out of 10.

Get Your Filthy Hands off my Desert - another transition. The lyrics set it firmly in the 80"s, so it can't be timeless.

Null Rating - 5 out of 10.

Fletcher Memorial Home - Gilmour's solo is the best thing about the song and that's a reworking of his solo on Dogs. Too on nthe nose and of the moment. Hard to be universal when names are named.

Null Rating - 6 out of 10.

Southampton Dock - now this universal. Lyrics any generation can relate to. Another lullaby that bares its teeth.

Null Rating - 7 out of 10

The Final Cut - a lot going on here. Dave again echoes his guitar solo from Dogs. This song could have been on the Wall or Pros and Cons. Especially the stanza you posted starting "and if I show you my dark side." When the shotgun blasts it covers the lyric "And if I'm in I'll tell you what's behind the wall." As a teen I identified with the stanza starting " there's a kid who had a big hallucination." And the suicide attempt at the end. Stunning.

Not Now John - well I don't like the f bomb. But this follows the Nile Song and Young Lust in the Floyd Canon. It certainly swaggers. Its the last original song to feature vocals from Dave and Roger. it's not really necessary to the theme of the album.

Null Rating - 7 out of 10.

Two Suns in the Sunset - a beautiful song. Amazing lyrics. Nick couldn't play this, so its Andy Newmark on drums. Raphael Ravenscroft played sax on this and Gunner's Dream. He played on Gerry Rafferty's song Baker Street. I love the ending sax solo.
"Ashes and diamonds. Foe and Friend. We were all equal in the end" seems a fitting epitaph for this version of Pink Floyd.

Album Rating - 8.1 out of 10
Last edited by sgt.null on Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Great summing up, lads. I love The Final Cut, and my eyes got a bit misty reading over some of the lyrics and singing them in my head. I haven't heard the album in years, and now I want to hear it right away again.

Something I always found so interesting in this album is the spastic loud and quiet moments throughout. I bought this long after it had been out while I was in high school because I heard from a lot of people that it wasn't very good. I embraced it right away. But I remember listening to it a lot around bedtime, and having to turn it up and down to not disturb parents late at night and having to anticipate the loud screeching sax solos after the gentle tender quiet bits. I got yelled at a lot because of that album.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

One of the great things about doing this review is revisiting albums like this. I was similar to you Cag, in that when I first heard it I played it a LOT, and loved it. Over the years, I think I've talked myself out of loving it (without listening to it) mainly for the wrong reasons - the Gilmour / Waters rift etc.

But listening to it again for the review has reminded me how much I do actually love this album. And adding When the Tigers broke free to the package has only enhanced it for me. I must have listened to the album 10 times while reviewing it, and probably listened to Tigers 20 times!

I had a similar experience (ie. trying not to wake up the parents) with Dark Side of the Moon. I ended up borrowing (stealing) my brother's headphones so I could listen to it at the appropriate volume...
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

cags / Stevie , I find it best to view the Final Cut as a Waters solo album with Nick and Dave guesting. When we do pros & cons i think you'll see how close it is to Cut.

I'll see what if any outtakes there are for Cut. Roger did do Two Suns recently. So we have at least that.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

The basis for Post War Dream , John Prine's song, Sam Stone
https://youtu.be/OLVWEYUqGew

One of the Few was originally on the Wall as Teach.
https://youtu.be/KKnuGi3BSlk

When the Tigers Broke Free - scene from the Wall
https://youtu.be/E_5DRKZI1Ow

The Hero's Return was on the Wall as Teacher, Teacher
https://youtu.be/K754xz7QbHQ

The Hero's Return was given a second part for a b side.
https://youtu.be/Y0qY9j9FL-Y

Southampton Dock contains a snippet of It's Never Too Late, written for the Wall
https://youtu.be/FeoUI1bSY5A

The Final Cut was originally on the Wall
https://youtu.be/PjzarzBpmnQ

Not Now John - Radio version [clean]
https://youtu.be/PU42HHl__DY

Two Suns in the Sunset - recent quarantine version
https://youtu.be/P_m2CZU9vdk

Ashes & Diamonds - Polish film that inspired Two Suns
https://m.youtube.com/results?search_qu ... d+diamonds
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Sarge, you are the finder of great things.

Sam Stone is a great song.

And oh my God, Two Suns in the Sunset - everyone should watch that right now. Just amazing. Smoking backing vocalists, smoking vocals. Roger's voice has become more pleasant and gravelly in his older age. It fits this music so well.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Thanks.

But credit goes to Floyd for releasing all that stuff.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Released: September 1987

Here we are at the next evolutionary phase of the Pink Floyd! Welcome to David Gilmour's Floyd. We have gone from Syd Barrett's Floyd, to no man's land, to Roger Waters' Floyd, and now to David Gilmour's.

The interesting thing about this is we get a further insight into what is important to the respective 'leaders' of the band. For Gilmour, a theme or concept just wasn't important to him, and so he wrote a series of unconnected songs. Lyrics were also pretty much thrown out the door - his being more a set of words that make marginal sense. Music, and the composition, seemed to be the all-important focus for David, and this album focusses on that.

The pressure was on, because Gilmour is quoted saying that The Final Cut was "cheap filler" and "meandering rubbish".

This album is firmly set in the '80s, and features the good old 80s "space drums" - those echoe-y background drums that seem to have a distinctive sound. Rick Wright makes a tentative return, and Nick Mason doesn't contribute a great deal.

Signs of Life

Written by: Gilmour, Ezrin

This has a pleasant start. I like the oars on the water - it has a satisfying sound. This intro song builds in a similar way to "Shine On" but then just kind of ends. It has promise but doesn't really deliver, it's just there.

Learning to Fly

Written by: Gilmour, Moore, Ezrin, Carin

Nice sound. And a good concept. My favourite part of the song is the part where "there's no sensation to compare with this" comes in - the music swells nicely.

The Dogs of War

Written by: Gilmour, Moore
StevieG rating: 3/10

I really don't like this song. It starts ok, but the lyrics are so insipid that I always find myself getting caught up in how bad they are. It apparently describes politicians orchestrating wars... The guitar work is good, but then the saxophone kicks in and I hate it. It's a classic example of a good musician sounding terrible. He grunts and groans throughout the solo, and screeches along in a most unpleasant fashion. Then we go into a "Money" style of musical change, before Dave comes back and sings possibly his worst lyrics yet. Winners can lose and things can get strained, but whatever you change, you know the dogs remain. Gawd help us. I'm relieved when it's finally over.

One Slip

Written by: Gilmour, Manzanera
StevieG rating: 4/10

This is "space drum" city. I object to the lyrics - they contradict themselves so much. Firstly, "no hint, no word, her honour to defend"... whatever that means. Then she sighs reluctant acquiescence to his request, then she "tosses her mane" and suddenly she's all for it, and his resolve is put to the test. And then... drowned in desire etc etc. he leads her off to the "funeral pyre"?? Blah blah blah. The section after the chorus annoys the hell out of me - it actually reminds me a bit of the Pet Shop Boys. And then it fades out quickly at the end, almost as if it's embarrassed it ever existed.

On the Turning Away

Written by: Gilmour, Moore

This is "space drum" city too, but the melody is really attractive. The songs so far on this album have a very formulaic approach to them. Intro, verse, verse, chorus, guitar solo etc. Fade out, mostly. This is a definite improvement over the previous two songs though, with some great guitar.

Yet Another Movie

Written by: Gilmour, Leonard

Has a pretty crappy start, but develops way more than the previous songs and turns into a good song. It has a nice atmospheric sound to it. Some good lyrics in this one, eg. He's just the same as all the rest, he's not the worst and he's not the best. Some good guitar in this one too.

Round and Round

Written by: David Gilmour
StevieG rating: 3/10

I'm not sure why this is a separate track. It should have been part of Yet Another Movie, although it would have diminished that song. As a stand alone, and with no linking to the next song, it's pretty pointless.

A New Machine (Part 1)

I love the effect that this song generates. It gives a great sense of feeling, that suits the lyrics.

Terminal Frost

For an instrumental, it's impressive. There's a bit in there that reminds me of Chariots of Fire. It does go on a bit long for my liking.

A New Machine (Part 2)

A nice bookend to Terminal Frost with some subtle changes to Part 1 of this song.

Sorrow

Love the guitar intro. This song is waaaaay better live, because it brings the intro guitar back at the end, rather than rambling on with an extended guitar solo and fading out. Still, it's the best song on this album, and a good way to end. And the drum machine was programmed by Gilmour... poor old Nick missed out.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Quick note - I saw Floyd on the tour supporting this album.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason

Signs of Life - the Final Cut ends with a nuclear bomb and we open with Signs of Life. Nick is saying 'When the childlike view of the world went, nothing replaced it. I do not like being asked to.' For some reason it took four keyboardists to make the track; Rick Wright, Jon Carin, David Gilmour and Bob Ezrin. But it adds up to nothing. Its not a song. I likely haven't listened to it since 1989.

Null Rating - 1 out of 10

Learning to Fly - easily the best song on the album. 'I thought I thought of everything' is my favorite line. The song has a nice lope about it. The best lyrics on the album. Dave's solo is at the end is too short. He improved it live. That's Nick flying the plane in the middle section. Rick is there, but its hard to distinguish what he's doing.

Null Rating - 9 out of 10

The Dogs of War - Tony Levin [King Crimson] on bass. Carmine Appice [Vanilla Fudge] on drums. Bill Payne [Little Feat] on Hammond. Tom Scott [Blues Brothers] on saxophone. Scott Page [Supertramp/Toto]on saxophone. That's a supergroup, not Pink Floyd. This song does not feel organic. It has a rough pass at lyrics that needs a better lyricist to finish. Anthony Moore contributed lyrics as he would on the Division Bell and Rick's Broken China album. The song as a whole needed more work. Work by the actual members.

Null Rating - 3 out of 10

One Slip - damn this song is too busy. I do not like the totally 80's production on the album. Like Stevie I am not a fan of the drums. Phil Manzanera [Roxy Music - Guitarist] 'helps' with lyics and would work with Dave's on his solo albums. Tony Levin again. Noted session drummer Jim Keltner. So still not Floyd really. The lyrics are just awful.

Null Rating - 3 out of 10

On the Turning Away - Anthony Moore's lyrics for this and Learning to Fly show he has talent. Dave comes through with a great guitar solo at the end. More guitar seems an obvious for this band. Levin and Keltner this go. But Mason should have been forced to do the work.

Null Rating - 8 out of 10

Yet Another Movie - agree with Stevie the first minute plus of this song is wasted ambient garbage. Then it gets good. Lyricist / synthesizerist Patrick Leonard would later work with Roger Waters on Amused to Death. I really like the lyrics. I like Dave's weary delivery of them. It fits the song. Nick does some drumming. But otherwise Keltner / Levin again. The production is less 80's here and more on service to the song. The movie you hear at the end is Casablanca. Specifically Bogart's speech towards the end. Rick Wright is on this track, as he is on most tracks of the album. But he is buried in the mix. So I can't pick up his keyboards or vocals.

Round and Round - pointless. There is no reason for this to exist.

Null Rating - 0 out of 10

A New Machine (Part 1) - irritating and pointless. Gilmour's first solo song writing credit since Childhood's End on Obscurred by Clouds.

Terminal Frost - its pleasant. Mason on drum machine. John Helliwell ( Supertramp) on saxophone. Three keyboardists : Wright, Carin, Ezrin. Four backing vocalists that I somehow missed. As I said it's pleasant. The title is the best thing about it. One point for that.

Null Rating - 1 out of 10

A New Machine (Part 2) - at least its the shortest Floyd song on record.

Sorrow - this was great live. The intro guitar shook the stadium. Levin on bass. I really like Dave's lyrics here. His vocals are strong. I've read the song came from a poem. Ends an extremely uneven album on a high note.

Album Rating - 3.7 out of 10
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

A scathing but accurate review Null. Even though we differ on a couple of songs, I tend to agree with your assessment.

I really wanted to like this album when it came out, but always found it hard to get through the whole thing.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

Return to “Vespers”