The Seven Wards

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Lazy Luke wrote:The Fourth Ward can be found in the Illearth War. Look closely and you can see it.
IrrationalSanity wrote:Now, extend this concept to the 4th, 5th, and 6th Wards, and the fact that only with full understanding of one can you make full use of the next.

The 5th Ward is likely to be over a hidden bridge. There is some knowledge in the fourth ward that signifies this.
You need to read TIW again.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

I'd love to hear your ideas on how the New Lords could ever have achieved this, real or imaginary.
IrrationalSanity wrote:The New Lords had also derived a set of Lore of their own, which was based on the Oath - one manifestation of which was the Meld, allowing them a mind-to-mind connection.
A few weeks ago I was meditating on how to locate a mid-point in the brain, between the forehead and the throat. Not as easy as it might sound, cos I was either blacking out through sheer ecstasy, or I'd get distracted with that image of the Cheshire Cat, (from the original John Tenniel drawings where the Cat gives Alice advice on how to reach the Tea Party).

When not completely zonked, I would get distracted by the idea that the branch of the tree was like a bridge from one imaginary place to another. Also, the idea of a branch and a tree felt somewhat similar in shape and form to that of the medula and pons area of the brainstem. It wasn't until after that I found out 'pons' is Latin for 'bridge' - which I thought extremely intriguing.
So yeah, maybe mind-melding is something like a collective connection through the staff and the wood and the mindset.

And also with a little help from the soft yellow gravelling stones.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Posted in Mallorys: Wed Sep 23, 2020. sgt.null wrote:The Hatter is a fictional character in Lewis Carroll's 1865 book Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its 1871 sequel Through the Looking-Glass. He is very often referred to as the Mad Hatter, though this term was never used by Carroll. The phrase "mad as a hatter" pre-dates Carroll's works. The Hatter and the March Hare are referred to as "both mad" by the Cheshire Cat, in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in the seventh chapter titled "A Mad Tea-Party".
Priceless!
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Lazy Luke wrote:The Fourth Ward can be found in the Illearth War. Look closely and you can see it.
IrrationalSanity wrote:Now, extend this concept to the 4th, 5th, and 6th Wards, and the fact that only with full understanding of one can you make full use of the next.

The 5th Ward is likely to be over a hidden bridge. There is some knowledge in the fourth ward that signifies this.
You need to read TIW again.
Quite possibly, but that doesn't negate my statement. I said that you needed full understanding of Level X to gain full mastery of Level Y. Partial understanding can get you partial mastery. That doesn't mean that the Level X understanding has to come from document X. It can be gleaned organically. Otherwise the content of document X could not have been generated in the first place.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

Lazy Luke wrote:I'd love to hear your ideas on how the New Lords could ever have achieved this, real or imaginary.
IrrationalSanity wrote:The New Lords had also derived a set of Lore of their own, which was based on the Oath - one manifestation of which was the Meld, allowing them a mind-to-mind connection.
The Oath of Peace, to which all modern denizens of The Land had sworn, both enabled and limited the Lore by which they lived. Not as strongly as the Vow impacted the Bloodguard, certainly, but it was a factor that permeated every aspect of their very lives.

By this, the New Lords' understanding of the First and Second Wards was shaped. The Healing aspects came readily, while many martial components that were part of the Lore of the Staff did not. I suspect that even influenced their understanding of the Lore of the Sword. Consider that Hile Troy's strategic and martial skills were largely developed outside of the Land's strictures, and so evident that they made him Warmark (though I presume he had to study the Lore as well, in order to gain the acceptance and respect of the Warward).

Yet the Meld was purely of the New Lords. This was stated in the text (though my books are currently packed, so I can't find the reference). This came from Earthpower and health sense, of course, but it was never either developed or discovered by the Old Lords.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

IrrationalSanity wrote:Quite possibly, but that doesn't negate my statement. I said that you needed full understanding of Level X to gain full mastery of Level Y. Partial understanding can get you partial mastery. That doesn't mean that the Level X understanding has to come from document X. It can be gleaned organically. Otherwise the content of document X could not have been generated in the first place.
It's a dismal fact that two summers have now gone since opening the First Ward. To keep such joy
under lock and key is madness.
IrrationalSanity wrote:full mastery
Loud and clear, IS.

Return to “The Last Dark”