Latest SF/Fantasy Acquisitions

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Just ordered Anderson's "Saga of Shadows" trilogy, the sequel to his "Seven Suns" series. (Which I will have to reread first of course. :D )

(Also ordered Atwood's "Handmaids Tale" and "Robber Bride" for the GF, since she just finished rereading "Alias Grace" and wanted some more of her books.)

--A

Post by Avatar »

Picked up Gibson's Pattern Recognition.

--A

Post by Avatar »

Finally got "Augers Gambit" and "Kings Justice" (by some guy whose initials are "SRD") as 2 individual hardbacks. Weird I know. Anyway, will be reading them soon. :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

The Shattered Sea trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. If you haven't read his "First Law" series, do yourself a favour...

--A

Post by Avatar »

Picked up a book of short stories by Abercrombie, set in the same world as the First Law books, and some of which are prequels to that series, with some characters origin stories.

Also got Anathem by Neal Stephenson.

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

So it was another book fair this weekend .. and I got a big bag full of finds for 25 bucks ..

Unfortunately I bought a few books I already had :lol: 😂

Anyhoo .. got a couple more Ian Irvine, hoping their good. I got a couple of Kate Forsythe and I have enjoyed what Ive read of hers previously. Got a couple of more Feist .. and a few I hadnt heard of but looked interesting ..
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Post by Avatar »

My copy of Red Country by Joe Abercrombie arrived yesterday. (The GF ordered a cookbook, but it wasn't enough to qualify for free delivery, so I ordered a book as well.)

Another story set in the world of the First Law, this was the only book of his that I was missing.

Looking forward to it, just have to finish "Night Watch" quickly.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Picked up a copy of Paul Hoffman's The Left Hand of God yesterday for 2 quid in a second hand bookshop. I'd been looking at it new at a full price of four times as much in another store - and so it seemed like a serendipitous steer that I could not ignore; I'll let you know how it pans out in due course! ;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Randomly picked up the next Millenium sequel yesterday, as well as The Second Collected Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach.

For a change, I actually have a to-be-read pile. :D These two, and the 2 remaining All Souls books after the one I'm busy with.

I shall enjoy it while it lasts. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Bought Terry Goodkind's Wizards First Rule the other day, second hand for next to nothing thankfully for this about equated to the value of the entertainment I got thereby. Read it for two nights (surely this should be enough for a book to begin to work for you) after which the contrived plot and badly written and unimaginative characterisation (the obligatory Gandalph clone was called Zedd fer f's sake) began to become increasingly tedious. I re-donated the malignant toad of a book back to the charity shop from whence it came on the basis that it is returning at least some investment on the author's negligible efforts (or talent - which, I'm not sure) in terms of the revenue raised by it's no doubt repeated and rapid circulation of the dissatisfied reader-chaity shop cycle: more certainly, than it gets in terms of 'enjoyment coin' from the victims it unwittingly ensnares!

I'm looking to get hold of a copy of Wizards Apprentice, the first book in the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. Expect more evicerating spume filled ranting if that one doesn't stack up either!

;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Condign
Ramen

Post by Condign »

I got about as far into Wizards First Rule as you.

As a SRD fan, I think you will enjoy the Farseer Trilogy much more. I had problems with the trilogy, and the sequel trilogy, but the first three books are well worth the journey. There is also a parallel trilogy of book by Robin Hobb, set in the same universe, but completely different setting, called 'The LiveShip Traders'. Also highly recommended.

Unfortunately I have not had much time recently to read fantasy/sf due to work and study. By the end of the year I will be ready to deep dive into all the books I have missed in the past few years, like SRD's new stuff.
A copious vocabulary is no substitute for intelligence.

Post by Avatar »

peter wrote:Bought Terry Goodkind's Wizards First Rule the other day...
Serves you right for reading Goodkind, although, it could have been worse...could have been Terry Brooks. :D

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

C'mon Av! The Sword of Shannara! A masterclass in Tolkien dumbing down and idea plagerism - so barely concealed that you could swap alternate chapters with TLOTR and get a kind of Weiss-Hickman level book as the result. I love it!

:lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Post by Avatar »

Delivery yesterday, book 2 and 3 of Mark Lawrences "Crown of Thorns" series, Rothfuss' Wise Mans Fear, and the newest Rivers of London book, and a RoL novella by Ben Aaronovitch. Should keep me occupied for a few weeks if I don't game. Longer if I do.

--A

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”